Good Travel Surge Protector?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: QF Silver
To the OP, sorry that this thread has gone on several tangents. To bottom line your question the answer is yes, your strip will work just fine on 110VAC power.

The link you provided says the manufacturer has rated it for 13 amps. If the strip a fuse or circuit breaker it will limit the current at either 110 or 220 volts to 13A.

On 110V that says your strip can safely handle 1430 Watts. On 220V double that to 2,860 Watts. (and no, I'm not going to get into the minutia of RMS vs. VA, effects of impedence and other nerdly stuff -- these are close enough.)

The strip itself will certainly handle much more than that but for safety's sake stick to those limits. Please note that 13 amps is a LOT of power, like gfunkdave said don't use it for a space heater (or travel iron, microwave, vacuum cleaner, toaster oven, hefty 2000W hair dryer, etc.), but you can easily fill each socket with a laptop/ipod/phone/camera wall charger or other small appliance and be WELL under the limit (especially since you said all your devices can run on 110/220, most heavy-duty things won't).

Good luck and a belated welcome to FT!
Old May 3, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Nope, probably won't work: it's rated for 13 amps max on a 10 amp nominal supply. US 120V is not 13 amps, it's usually 15-20 amps, nominal. If the strip has it built in, you'll trip the fuse on it constantly. Without a built in fuse you run the risk of simply frying the strip itself if it's been cheaply built (& most are).
Common misconception. Power available is not the same as power drawn. Your scenario would only be a problem if they were pulling > 13Amps thru the PS into devices. What's on the supply end (Amp wise) doesn't matter.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Zarf4
To the OP, sorry that this thread has gone on several tangents. To bottom line your question the answer is yes, your strip will work just fine on 110VAC power.

The link you provided says the manufacturer has rated it for 13 amps. If the strip a fuse or circuit breaker it will limit the current at either 110 or 220 volts to 13A.

On 110V that says your strip can safely handle 1430 Watts. On 220V double that to 2,860 Watts. (and no, I'm not going to get into the minutia of RMS vs. VA, effects of impedence and other nerdly stuff -- these are close enough.)

The strip itself will certainly handle much more than that but for safety's sake stick to those limits. Please note that 13 amps is a LOT of power, like gfunkdave said don't use it for a space heater (or travel iron, microwave, vacuum cleaner, toaster oven, hefty 2000W hair dryer, etc.), but you can easily fill each socket with a laptop/ipod/phone/camera wall charger or other small appliance and be WELL under the limit (especially since you said all your devices can run on 110/220, most heavy-duty things won't).

Good luck and a belated welcome to FT!
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it will be safe if I just use it for my Macbook pro, my iphone charger and maybe an external harddrive?
Old May 5, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobbyMCD
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it will be safe if I just use it for my Macbook pro, my iphone charger and maybe an external harddrive?
Yes, that should be perfectly fine.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old May 5, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's far below the derated power rating of that strip. No problem.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Less than 2 amps, rock & roll !
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Greetings all,

I have several travel power adapters, such as the monster adapter with USB, the inexpensive "cube" that provides 3 outlets, etc.

But, what I haven't found yet is a compact travel surge protector. Who has a good suggestion or two?

Thanks,

-Rob
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:20 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3mt0kuyzw9_b

I have the older models where the usb does not charge iPads. It appears the newer more expensive models now have the power to do so. Also believe these are 110v only.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:13 pm

Your favourite travel tech item?

[board glitch: this wasn't posted to this thread... please delete]

Last edited by slowmail; Oct 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:28 am

Philips travel power strip: 3 outlets, 2 USB ports

My current favorite is the 2012 Philips travel power strip.
Purchased from Target, it has 3 outlets, 2 USB ports. It's been everywhere with me since purchasing it last year. The 3 outlets are front, side, and back, so I can have my Canon camera battery charger on 1 side, and not interfere with the other 2 plugs. Theoretically you could have 3 big power cubes and be fine. The power prongs fold back.

That model doesn't seem to be available any more.

This 2013 model adds a slick foldable design to the above.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...scy=US&slg=AEN

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Adapte...cm_rdp_product

I saw one like it at Container Store but it only had 2 outlets.

Oddly, the manual seems to list the carton dimensions and the packaging dimensions, but NOT the actual product dimensions.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/file..._pss_aenus.pdf

I'd guess the product weight is now • Tare weight: 0.198 lb

Phillips <-- added for people searching the thread who don't know Philips only has 1 L.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooooo looks nice, MareLuce!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.