Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Good Travel Surge Protector?

Good Travel Surge Protector?

Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Nope. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812820023 they have better pictures, it has a 3 prongs USA power connector which is not what I am looking for.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Thanks to suggestions here, I love the charge pod

http://callpod.com/products/chargepod

It's made traveling so much better, I usually go with the laptop adapter and the charge pod for everything else.

I was impressed of this item and thinking for ordering one from amazon. If you have some extra pocket then go for extra utility. Chargerpod does its job well and leave more counter space at the same time.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, US Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by printingray
I was impressed of this item and thinking for ordering one from amazon. If you have some extra pocket then go for extra utility. Chargerpod does its job well and leave more counter space at the same time.
The downside I have is chargepod seems to charge at 500ma a port. I'd love something similar with a 1a charger per port.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AJollyLife
How badly you wish that ? While Brando sports a Temporarily Out of Stock for the Moenegallet, I have my doubts about the Temporarily given http://web.archive.org/web/201007280..._p562c8d1.html they were already out of stock in 2010

However, it is in stock in Japan under the name TAP-B26M. I am willing to import (I am in Canada) say 10-20 of them so the package forwarder cost is spread out. One Moenegallet would be, my guess, about $20-25 + shipping (it quotes me 16470 for ten which per Google is 214 USD today) . Are you interested? Are others interested?

Edit: if we are ok with white http://direct.sanwa.co.jp/ItemPage/TAP-B26W the price might go even lower

Last edited by chx1975; Jun 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I use a very low tech solution around a Tom Bihn Snake Charmer mesh bag, that has two compartments.

Side 1:
- Laptop charger
- Tablet charger
- miniUSB to cig. lighter charger

Side 2:
2. Four of the plastic cases from Eclipse Gum 60-packs ($11 for four at Costco). Nice flip open top that also unscrews. In those, I can fit:
Power:
- two ReTrack mini-USB to USB cords
- two USB to wall adapters
- a tiny USB to cig. lighter adapter
- a microUSB to miniUSB adapter
Other:
- Two flash drives - one for work/client sites, one for personal
- Bluetooth headset (uses microusb to charge)
- A cheap ($10) MP3 player the size of a flash drive, to use in rental cars, preprogrammed with 100 songs, with a male-to-male headphone cord to plug into a car's AUX port. If I lose it, oh well... I have the songs on a flash drive at home and can load up a new $10 player pretty quickly.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Your "unavaliable in US/Canada" comment made me think you were looking for a 120 North American version. So you are looking for UK, Europe or ???
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
- Two flash drives - one for work/client sites, one for personal
- Bluetooth headset (uses microusb to charge)
- A cheap ($10) MP3 player the size of a flash drive, to use in rental cars, preprogrammed with 100 songs, with a male-to-male headphone cord to plug into a car's AUX port. If I lose it, oh well... I have the songs on a flash drive at home and can load up a new $10 player pretty quickly.
Hey why not get a longish string with a carabiner on the end and attach to the keys so you can't lose the USB player?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thing is my new best friend:

http://www.aviiq.com/pages/portable-charging-station/

I added an assortment of short cables, and now have a place to charge all my gadgets. Combined with a PowerTrip battery pack, I'm close to a perfect solution.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Oh how I wish I could get rid of my headphone cords. I usually end up wrenching them out of my ears while running or lifting. On occasion, while walking.

And I still say this android phone with 6 hours battery life is a design flaw, but HTC doesn't seem to agree.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:56 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Oh how I wish I could get rid of my headphone cords. I usually end up wrenching them out of my ears while running or lifting. On occasion, while walking.

And I still say this android phone with 6 hours battery life is a design flaw, but HTC doesn't seem to agree.
Root your phone, install a ROM without Sense, put on a new kernel, download SetCPU, mix together, enjoy.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:15 am
Suspended

At first glance, a cursory one, my brain registered the title as:
How annoying are your codes and wives?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Root your phone, install a ROM without Sense, put on a new kernel, download SetCPU, mix together, enjoy.
Well, that sounds simple.

I'll just stick with the power outlet during the day.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:29 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Well, that sounds simple.

I'll just stick with the power outlet during the day.
Quite simple, there are one click root applications, and Cyanogenmod make solid ROMs. Takes maybe 30-45 minutes to do.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Quite simple, there are one click root applications, and Cyanogenmod make solid ROMs. Takes maybe 30-45 minutes to do.
You have a reputable weblink or two? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I carry two of these dual head retractable cables, and one of these power adapters. The Scosche power adapter puts out 2.1A (ie, 10W) of power via BOTH ports, so you can simultaneously fully charge TWO iPad3s if you wanted. Plus, unlike all other dual 2.1A travel adapters that I'm aware of, this adapter has foldable prongs, instead of fixed prongs. MUCH better for travel. Scosche is rumored to have a 4 port power adapter similar to the one above coming soon.

By carrying nothing more than the above - which takes up almost no room in my bag - I can charge 4 devices at once if need be.

I also throw in this adapter in case I need to charge an older mini-USB device (as opposed to the more standard micro-USB), and a couple of these adapters for any Apple devices (I'm fully droid at this point, but I'm prepared for family or friends if necessary). Again, takes up virtually no room in my bag.

Last edited by thegasguru; Jun 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.