Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why do you need a cell phone away from home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you need a cell phone away from home?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by danesville
How do you get data you can use with abandon? I get messages of overuse, one time a $660.00 fee. I know you can buy some data, but how do you get enough to use it as a GPS. Thanks
Local SIM card is typically the best way to go.

There are some international plans on US carriers which are much thriftier, but in general they get very expensive.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Local SIM card and an unlocked device.

My iPhone wasn't unlocked so I used Mifi.

But I'm going to look to get a tablet with LTE. I think the battery life will be better, even in hotspot mode.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:05 am

For comfort, maps, language translation.

I am at the point where I go into slight panic mode if I don't see my phone within 5 seconds of searching for it.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danesville
How do you get data you can use with abandon? I get messages of overuse, one time a $660.00 fee. I know you can buy some data, but how do you get enough to use it as a GPS. Thanks
When you're home you mean? Buy a data plan.

Internationally, some carriers will sell you a data add-on that you can use internationally, but it's rarely a lot of data (500 MB seems like the most you can buy, and maybe not even that much).

I recommend using a local SIM with a local data plan. That's generally the best deal.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
You don't if you want to get away from it all. But if you want to be able to call someone in the country you are in easily, or have a way for family to reach you, both through phone calls, texts, or emails, and social sites you should have one. Even if you don't use it for data(you can use WiFi spots for this). I bought a SIM this Summer for use in the UK and Ireland and had a great experience, I was able to call back to the statues, others could call me, and I had my email available at all times.

-Patrick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.