FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   QuietComfort® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones vs B&O earphones (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1474817-quietcomfort-20i-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-vs-b-o-earphones.html)

TheBOSman Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

QuietComfort® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones vs B&O earphones

Currently inflight wearing the QC20is. Just awesome. Definitely no hiss or anything like that. I do find the "Aware" mode to be seemingly useless, as it just seems to turn the NC feature completely off. I had assumed it would simply reduce the amount of NC that occurred but I guess I was wrong. I feel bad for the QC3 and QC15 guys in the cabin. These really are just as good, but take up so much less room. I can fit an extra shirt and pair of shorts into my travel bag with the space.

Want any more proof on these? My seatmate, whom I don't know and is not wearing any headphones, is currently searching for the very headphones I'm wearing on Bose and Amazon. He could just ask me :D.

phlwookie Aug 15, 2013 11:50 am

I find aware mode to be pretty useful to avoid taking the headphones off, and it still puts through good quality audio. Also, if I'm on a call on them while driving, it allows enough surrounding noise to let sirens, etc be heard. They're so good at noise cancelling that I'm not confident I would hear that in time in noise cancel mode.

I've had these for a few weeks. So far, Bose has hit a home run with them. They're expensive but I think they're going to be able to command a price premium on them for a good while.

fly-yul Aug 15, 2013 7:49 pm

I got a pair this week too. Already have qc15 and qc3.

Noise canceling is as good or better. I like that I can wear them on air canada during take off and landing. Only ear bud type headphone are permitted.

One thing that's different is that I would often wear the qc15 without any cables plugged in for the nc while in the air. With the qc20 you have to manage the cables dangling around. Not a big deal, just different.

Aware mode is cool. I think it works by activating the microphone and picking up sound around me. I have started using aware mode when using the qc20 to talk on my cell phone. With aware mode off, I find I can't hear myself talk loud enough while talking and it bothers me.

One concern I have is about the longevity of the cable that connects the control to the headphone jack. I feel with the extra weight on the battery and right angle to the plug, over time the cable will wear out.

ScottC Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 21281510)
One concern I have is about the longevity of the cable that connects the control to the headphone jack. I feel with the extra weight on the battery and right angle to the plug, over time the cable will wear out.

Agreed - but I also know that Bose will honor their warranty if something breaks.

dtc Aug 17, 2013 2:03 am

Hey folks some additional questions:

1. Does anyone know what the expected lifetime of the sealed battery is? 1 years? 2 years? What happens after that? Is it throwaway?

2. For work purposes, I have to switch between an iPhone, a Nokia Lumia, and a Samsung Galaxy on a regular basis. What happens if I get the i version? I get the buttons might not work but will the mic still work on the Lumia/Samsung? (I've had bad experiences with skullcandy headphones - some will, some won't.) What happens in the vice versa if I get the Android one and use it against my iPhone?

ross123 Aug 17, 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dtc (Post 21288016)
2. For work purposes, I have to switch between an iPhone, a Nokia Lumia, and a Samsung Galaxy on a regular basis. What happens if I get the i version? I get the buttons might not work but will the mic still work on the Lumia/Samsung? (I've had bad experiences with skullcandy headphones - some will, some won't.) What happens in the vice versa if I get the Android one and use it against my iPhone?

I am thinking of changing off the iPhone next cycle of upgrades and when I asked the question the BOSE guy said that the extra buttons (pause, vol up, down) will only work on the i devices (iPhone, iPad) but that the mic and aware buttons would work on all devices.

Of course take one in to the store and test it.

ScottC Aug 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by dtc (Post 21288016)
Hey folks some additional questions:

1. Does anyone know what the expected lifetime of the sealed battery is? 1 years? 2 years? What happens after that? Is it throwaway?

The mic works on all the devices I tested - and on Samsung, the play/pause button works. If you get the Android (QC20) version, you only get the single play/pause button, no track control. In other words - I recommend getting the 20i.

TheBOSman Aug 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 21290318)
The mic works on all the devices I tested - and on Samsung, the play/pause button works. If you get the Android (QC20) version, you only get the single play/pause button, no track control. In other words - I recommend getting the 20i.

I don't think the QC20 is designed for use with any phone or portable player specifically, I don't think it is an Android version per se. The QC20i is designed for iDevices though, but of course would work normally with any other device, just without all of the capabilities when used with an iDevice. I'm currently in flight on Gogo, headphones have done an excellent job of blocking out noise up here through two flights now. Also the 20i is working just as advertised for music on my iPhone. That said, it seems the 20i is a little more capable than the 20 even without an iDevice. As long as they stay the same price, I don't see many reasons not to get a 20i instead of a 20.

itchief Aug 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 21290336)
I don't think the QC20 is designed for use with any phone or portable player specifically, I don't think it is an Android version per se. The QC20i is designed for iDevices though, but of course would work normally with any other device, just without all of the capabilities when used with an iDevice. I'm currently in flight on Gogo, headphones have done an excellent job of blocking out noise up here through two flights now. Also the 20i is working just as advertised for music on my iPhone. That said, it seems the 20i is a little more capable than the 20 even without an iDevice. As long as they stay the same price, I don't see many reasons not to get a 20i instead of a 20.

Not trying to say one is better than the other, but the quote below is straight from the Bose web site. The way I read it is that the QC20i is made for the Apple device’s and the QC20 for other platforms. I would not bet on the functions for the QC20i working on the other devices but I have been wrong before. The best way to test this is to go to a Bose store and give it a try.

QuietComfort® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones
Inline mic/remote for iPod®/iPhone® music and call functions

QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones
Inline mic and answer/end button for calls with Android™, Windows® and BlackBerry® phones

TheBOSman Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by itchief (Post 21290947)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBOSman

Not trying to say one is better than the other, but the quote below is straight from the Bose web site. The way I read it is that the QC20i is made for the Apple device’s and the QC20 for other platforms. I would not bet on the functions for the QC20i working on the other devices but I have been wrong before. The best way to test this is to go to a Bose store and give it a try.

QuietComfort® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones
Inline mic/remote for iPod®/iPhone® music and call functions

QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones
Inline mic and answer/end button for calls with Android™, Windows® and BlackBerry® phones

Thanks, I guess that's why I didn't say "I know" then :D. Wasn't sure. Both had been available at Best Buy when I bought the 20i. I would have normally bought from amazon but am currently away for 2 1/2 weeks, didn't want to take any chances!

itchief Aug 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 21290984)
Thanks, I guess that's why I didn't say "I know" then :D. Wasn't sure. Both had been available at Best Buy when I bought the 20i. I would have normally bought from amazon but am currently away for 2 1/2 weeks, didn't want to take any chances!

One thing that I did try was to use a splitter to connect my QC15’s and QC20i’s to the same device at the same time. When I did this it disabled some of the functions on the QC20i remote.

TheBOSman Aug 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by itchief (Post 21290994)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBOSman

Thanks, I guess that's why I didn't say "I know" then . Wasn't sure. Both had been available at Best Buy when I bought the 20i. I would have normally bought from amazon but am currently away for 2 1/2 weeks, didn't want to take any chances!

One thing that I did try was to use a splitter to connect my QC15’s and QC20i’s to the same device at the same time. When I did this it disabled some of the functions on the QC20i remote.

I had the same effect when I used a cord extender with inline volume control. My iPhone had always been too sensitive to very small volume shifts. However, I found a way online to fix it and now I don't need the control. I must have spent $30-40 on volume controls over the year or two I've had my iPhone, all to find out it was due to a setting on my iPhone itself that was easily fixable :mad:. Doesn't make $300 for a set of headphones look so bad. I have thought about trying these with an overear NC set, I used to wear earplugs under my overear set before when I really wanted quiet :D.

dtc Aug 18, 2013 12:31 am

Tonight I dropped by a local Bose store. They only had a QC20i to try (no QC20).

I connected the QC20i to my Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) and the mic did not work.

This actually isn't all that surprising. The Skullcandy ink'ed and 50/50 headphones are designed for the iPhone, and only one of them (ink'ed) has a mic that works with the Windows Phone. (I don't use my Samsung Android phone enough to test this out.)

Apparently there are two main standards for this stuff - something about the impedance being different if there are multiple buttons. (This is too analog for me.) So... be sure to try your phone first. I'm planning on going back later with my three phones once they have the QC20 and the QC20i available for testing.

Also, the Bose sales rep claimed that the battery could handle 500 complete charges/discharges, at which point... well... they don't know. One possibility is that you would need to trade-in/buy a new one for $100.

dtc Aug 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Where to buy Bose stuff? Advantages of buying from Bose?

I'm really interested in buying the Bose QC20.

Question: Does it matter where I buy it from? Are there any advantages to buying it from the Bose store at my local mall?

Personally I'd rather give my business to Crutchfield (they've really treated me well).

ScottC Aug 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dtc (Post 21300069)
I'm really interested in buying the Bose QC20.

Question: Does it matter where I buy it from? Are there any advantages to buying it from the Bose store at my local mall?

Personally I'd rather give my business to Crutchfield (they've really treated me well).

No differences at all as prices are pretty much set in stone. The only advantage over a site like Crutchfield or Amazon is saving on sales tax (assuming you are into that). This will save around $20-$30 on the purchase. In a Bose store, they'll most likely try and upsell you to other crap...