Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

The Best Modem Ever That You Probably Don’t Own (unless you’re German)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Modem Ever That You Probably Don’t Own (unless you’re German)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If you don't need the phone features, just get an Asus RT-N12 ($40) and put Tomato on it. Done.
Or the modem features.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Or the modem features.
Sure, though the router will do PPPoE just fine.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe Fritz is still around, they used to make the most useless ISDN crap I ever ran into (along with Teles).

This thing doesn't look much different - so, it is a WiFi router, 3G fallback, DSL modem and has USB support - so far, it does everything my ASUS does.

The DECT support is useless in the US since US DECT is on a different frequency and won't work with EU handsets. Bottom line; to me, it feels like Fritz hasn't changed at all.

My Asus, Vera Lite, OBi work together nicely.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: AP, MP
Forget these lame tomato and dd-wrt firmwares.

Get some good stuff running on them routers: hint open-wrt
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:57 pm

Also, I have been running asterisk on my $10 wrt54g router with White Russian firmware with 1Gb SD card mod for years now. Not sure why people are spending $400 on a router ???
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Sure, though the router will do PPPoE just fine.
Now I could be missing something here, but is this a common scenario where you can just plug the router straight onto the ISP line? Maybe I've never run across such an ISP and they're actually really common except for all the ones I've had.

Originally Posted by ScottC
I can't believe Fritz is still around, they used to make the most useless ISDN crap I ever ran into (along with Teles).
This surprised me, but it somehow makes sense if they previously released poor products in the NA market and subsequently pulled out. It's also a bit surprising since I wasn't aware of that opinion before buying it, and as one should be able to see, sort of enjoy this thing. Wasn't aware of the DECT difference either which may be a concern in the future for us. May be, if my DECT stuff kicks the bucket while we're over that way.

In the end, though, I notice that the consensus is that I should have instead bought the cheapest router (not modem) I could find and forget everything else because it's too expensive. Got it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. It won't happen again.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Jun 4, 2013 at 3:31 am
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Now I could be missing something here, but is this a common scenario where you can just plug the router straight onto the ISP line? Maybe I've never run across such an ISP and they're actually really common except for all the ones I've had.
No, sorry - there's still a modem. The modem runs in bridge mode and the router manages the DSL connection.

Originally Posted by ohliuw
Forget these lame tomato and dd-wrt firmwares.

Get some good stuff running on them routers: hint open-wrt
Heh, you know, I have never used OpenWRT. My understanding is that it's very powerful and very user-unfriendly. But I think Tomato and DD-WRT are based on it, right?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

although i don't use it currently as i live in a small apartment, m0n0wall goes on any (really old) computer and you can outfit it with all kinds of hardware including backup USB 3g and so on.

i use an (overpriced) $1200 enterprise wireless router for work purposes but right before that used a $30 refurbished linksys with dd-wrt that was dual radio/dual band and never had a single problem.

having a built in modem is interesting though.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ohliuw
Also, I have been running asterisk on my $10 wrt54g router with White Russian firmware with 1Gb SD card mod for years now. Not sure why people are spending $400 on a router ???
I need one of those, but the config is way over my head. The 1995 Dell desktop that was running PBX in a Flash just died on me, so I need something new.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:33 pm

Heh, you know, I have never used OpenWRT. My understanding is that it's very powerful and very user-unfriendly. But I think Tomato and DD-WRT are based on it, right?
Sort of. The difference is that you start barebone. Which is good because you don't have stuff that you don't use. Then you start adding modules. Back in the wihte russian days, even a GUI had to be installed.

Now they have newer versions that come with a GUI preloaded and can still do a lot of stuff from it, just like with DD WRT. Yet, it's much more powerful if you want to go advanced.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
I need one of those, but the config is way over my head. The 1995 Dell desktop that was running PBX in a Flash just died on me, so I need something new.
It is PITA, so I suggest to use some sort of GUI app like FREEPBX or http://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/. Now, if you have a spare tower that has enough memory, I would suggest to install Vmware Exsi 5.1 on it and then run virtual appliances on it.

Don't be scared, Esxi installs is the easiest thing to do and is FREE. Then you just download the virtual appliances (which are preinstalled virtual machines), load them form the GUI, and click the power on button from the GUI.

The advantage is that you can run one VM dedicated to VOIP, another one as firewall, then another one for VPN, etc, etc. Run as many as you want (as long as you have the sufficient hardware resources). Get them from the marketplace or search the web. For example pbxinaflash has also VMWare version.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

I have a old pc tower that I can task to PBXIAF. Just not too keen on the electricity usage. Right now I'm just using the Vitelity SIP account directly loaded into the extension phones and not using Asterisk at all. We pay minutes and bandwidth to call each other inside the house, but we do it so rarely it doesn't matter.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:35 pm

for home line, you can get a VOIP ATA box (cheap PAP2 or more expensive Obis). You don't need PBX at home, as you can register directly with the SIP provider.

I use my Asterisk to dial in, get dial tone and make outgoing calls on different lines (DISA), depending on the destination. But 99% of the users would do just fine with a voip box.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:49 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Of course i don't need one. It's a geek project. No analog phones in the house anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.