Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
From Dubai Stu: I saw this article on DSL Reports and am passing it on without recourse. It sounds like a great solution, but I have not done any independent research: https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/R...-75Mbps-126377

From joejones: See this thread -- Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated) in the Japan forum

From msp3: If you're a Sprint customer, data roaming is completely free on SoftBank (Sprint's parent company), for a $5 add-on you get unlimited voice: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...a-sms-in-Japan
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by x20mar
Okay,

Maybe you guys could help me out, I'm traveling to Japan this month and I'm looking for a data-sim that lasts longer that 14 days. Suggestions? I already have a sim-free mifi router so my plans is to just stick it in there
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...l#post19055641
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Has somebody tried this offer?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: AIRNZ Gold elite
Question Prepaid Japanese Sim Card (android)

Can anyone update the situation with SIM cards in Japan ?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: AIRNZ Gold elite
Japanese Sim Card

Originally Posted by Marschel
Has somebody tried this offer?
I did a search on the internet and came across cdJapan.co.jp
The rental of the SIM card is Ą2,300 for 7 days
Shipping Ą540
Unlimited data usage

Has anyone tried them or suggest someone ?

Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

advice for 2 week trip to Japan?

I'm going to be in Tokyo, Kyoto and maybe other places. I have an iPhone 5s and my wife has an Android device and we have a few iPads. I also need to make sure I can use my MAcbook.

We'll be staying in pensions, ryrosan a few days, maybe some bigger hotels but probably smaller places.

Want to use Maps and train apps and so forth.

I'm wondering if I should get a mifi device, or what. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thinking of Sakura nano sim for the iPhone 5S and I can hotspot for my other stuff when needed...
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by richard
I'm going to be in Tokyo, Kyoto and maybe other places. I have an iPhone 5s and my wife has an Android device and we have a few iPads. I also need to make sure I can use my MAcbook.

We'll be staying in pensions, ryrosan a few days, maybe some bigger hotels but probably smaller places.

Want to use Maps and train apps and so forth.

I'm wondering if I should get a mifi device, or what. Thanks for any recommendations.
With so many devices, a mifi or other portable hotspot of some sort would be my bet. You can rent one at the airport (a friend did for something along the lines of $10 a day). I don't know anything about purchasing SIMs for your own portable hotspots, unfortunately.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by februaryfour
With so many devices, a mifi or other portable hotspot of some sort would be my bet. You can rent one at the airport (a friend did for something along the lines of $10 a day). I don't know anything about purchasing SIMs for your own portable hotspots, unfortunately.
Does this work for entering say HND and leaving FUK?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
I think that some places will let you return at a different airport, or through the mail by dropping a package in the post, but I don't know which shops. Sorry!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Try www.globaladvancedcomm.com They rent a mifi that arrives at your first hotel in Japan, with a post paid return envelope you use to return the device from whichever city you leave Japan from. We carry the mifi on our day trips to provide wifi for our phones and also use back in the hotel for the MacBook or iPads. Depending on which device you rent (various speeds are available), you can connect up to 5 or 10 devices.

We've also tried telecomsquare.us, but they send the device to you at your home (in the US) and you return it once you get back. If you are going to any other country besides Japan on the same trip, you pay daily rate until you return home. Their devices are just as good however, and we encountered no problems with their service. They even give a discount if you are flying ANA.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by beckoa
If you can rent from one of the counters at either HND or NRT you can ask them the return options. Some of companies are strictly NRT. So if you are arriving and departing from different airports in Japan your options might be limited.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive
I mentioned some of the Japan-specific issues here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...on-asia-2.html

I have usually used JCR Corp based in Hawaii for my visits as they will ship the kit to your home before you even leave but there are several companies in the market.
http://www.jcrcorp.com/

They will rent 3G/4G SIMs from DoCoMo (in JCR's case) that work with any WCDMA2100-capable device. As I mentioned, my Nokia supported this 10+ years ago and these days basically any Android will.

The Cell/SIM rentals will express-ship the equipment to your home before departure, or preferably to a Japanese hotel or address. When you're leaving, just pop the gear into their prepaid mailer and drop it at Japan Post or a courier. If you've never been, the hotshot/overnight courier networks in Japan are AMAZING. Just look up 'Airport Takkyubin' for the greatest idea EVER..

Basically, if you're a light data/phone user and visiting for 7 days or less, stick to the prepaid SIMs. If you'll be surfing, translating, mapping or visiting for 2 weeks or more, order a SIM from the rental agencies; it will cost a bit more but also be *unlimited* usage- no recharging, no buying, no installing and translating and flat rate. ^
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive
-does anyone have updated rates, or any bargains to be had?

As I said I've used JCR in past; their service is great but the prices seem to be going up quite a bit. Their going rate for 3G voice+data now is $165USD/2 weeks. This seems astronomical initially but it *is* unlimited, not a fixed volume. Compared to the average market rate which seems to be $10/1000円 per day this is only a few dollars more for unlimited usage. JCR's DoCoMo 4G LTE plans are *not* unlimited - they range from 4-12Gb for basically the same price, the 2-week package includes 6Gb of data.

Nowadays in a foreign country looking up maps, info, translating, pictures, video, etc I could use 6Gb a day, even on 3G. :P

The 4G plans seems FAR more restrictive and terrible than their packages used to be.

-It looks like there are a few more branded MVNO providers in Japan nowadays too. Iijimo is a DoCoMo travel SIM which comes with 1-2Gb of data and is rechargeable, prices will vary by the retailer but don't look any better than the average rental. There's also Sony's So-Net, which is specifically LTE service and appears to be sold from vending machines at the airports. But at 2900円/Gb for recharges that's obviously convenience over value.

https://t.iijmio.jp/en/index.html
http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/

I see some Iijimo SIM cards for sale on eBay, if these are unused and sealed they *might* be had for cheaper than at Japanese retailers. But again, YMMV.

DoCoMo is also now advertising their national Wifi access network for travelers - 900円/week. This seems comparable to many Western ISPs providing public wifi from their customers' modems. They claim good speed but the real acid test is of course how common and widespread they are. Do they have coverage in JR stations, or trains? What about walking down the street in Shinjuku, Shibuya or Denden Town?

http://visitor.docomowifi.com/en/details/

Last edited by Anonym00se; Jul 3, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
DoCoMo is also now advertising their national Wifi access network for travelers - 900円/week. This seems comparable to many Western ISPs providing public wifi from their customers' modems. They claim good speed but the real acid test is of course how common and widespread they are. Do they have coverage in JR stations, or trains? What about walking down the street in Shinjuku, Shibuya or Denden Town?

http://visitor.docomowifi.com/en/details/[/QUOTE]

I signed up for the service in August for our trip to Japan. It was more or less worthless. My iphone would hold not a connection (did not try my laptop) and I had to re-sign in each time to the service. You have to sign in to access the wifi and then sign in on a login webpage using a different set of credentials. After about 10 minutes of trying to get it to work in Kyoto, I decided to just get a data sim.
As far as availability, I did notice that my phone would try and connect to their service at number of train stations and department stores (more common in Tokyo, it seemed).
The service seemed sporadic and I quickly stopped trying to troubleshoot the problem. I did make another attempt in Tokyo but gave up after a few minutes
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
what is the best SIM to use while im in Japan for 24hours. Data only. Ideally it supports VOIP(google hangouts) so i can check in with the family. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.