Search

Wireless Router (N) 220 Volt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Wireless Router (N) 220 Volt

Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent wireless router (Netgear, D-Link, etc.) that automatically converts to 220 volts?
I just got this Netgear N600 from Best Buy only to find out it does NOT convert.
Because my router will always be plugged in and on, I do NOT want it plugged into a voltage transformer 24/7.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
See this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...countries.html

You will probably need to buy a 220 power supply for whatever router you want to use
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:08 pm

How long are you going to be there? Most of the travel routers I looked at have a universal power supply (you still need a plug adapter). The Zyxel and Edimax routers support 100-240. You won't get a great range, but it's enough to cover a decent sized hotel room.

If it is an extended time, it might just be worth it to buy a router in which ever country you will be in. No issues at all that way.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I saw that thread but it's really old, so was looking for more updated information
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I got a Cradlepoint CTR-35 and bought a USB-Proprietary plug adapter. I plug it into my Monster Adapter or laptop to power it and that works any country I go to (110 or 220).
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: QF Silver
I'm currently stateside but planning to move to a 220V/50Hz country and take all my computer gear. Many peripherals come with dual voltage switching supplies but there are a few stragglers. More than likely your Netgear router wants a 12VDC, 1 to 2A, center positive supply. I'd look around the house (work, friends, etc.) for other electronics which are going to be left in the U.S. using a dual voltage supply matching the same output parameters with the same connector and just swap the wall warts leaving the 110V only version in the states.

Just be very very certain that on the new wall wart:

1. The input voltage is 110-240VAC, 50/60Hz
2. The output voltage matches.
3. The type of output voltage matches (AC vs. DC).
4. If DC that positive is on the same pin (usually center, but not guaranteed, usually there's a diagram on the wart).
5. The output current is close.
6. The connectors are truly interchangeable, you must try both ways.

Otherwise bad things could happen.

I'd also label each wall wart with the name of the corresponding device because you might have a Linksys branded supply which is meant to connect to your Netgear which can be confusing.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:47 am

Oops, forgot to mention -- when using a wireless router in another country make sure that the frequencies are legal for use there. Not much of an issue for 2.4GHz, but the Netgear N600 is dual-band & if you light up a 5GHz carrier it wouldn't be in good form if you were to interfere with some other service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I've bought roughly one router a year the past 5 years and in each case the wall wart worked on 220v without any issues. i just needed a uk plug adapter. All the new ASUS routers work a treat for example
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I've bought roughly one router a year the past 5 years and in each case the wall wart worked on 220v without any issues. i just needed a uk plug adapter. All the new ASUS routers work a treat for example
Please be careful with that blanket statement. ASUS sells different configurations to the various global markets and it also sometimes has problems with its suppliers and has been known to substitute power supplies in the past.

My RT-N66u & RT-N16 both came with dual-voltage supplies.
My RT-N12 & RT-N13u both came with 110V only supplies.

The ASUS website along with newegg.com where I purchased the N12 both said dual-voltage. It took me a month to get ASUS support to swap the supply for the published universal one.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are the ASUS routers good?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Don't make a decision on what router to buy based on what type of DC adapter it has - that's just a bad idea.

Find the router you want, and just buy a new DC adapter that fits it - something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CostMad-Univ...5022743&sr=8-1
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I think they're among the best out there. Asus in general makes well-designed and well-made hardware at very reasonable prices. I have an RT-N66U and it's great. I put RT-N16's in clients' offices and never have issues.

I don't know anything about Asus firmware; I always re-flash them with the free and excellent Tomato firmware.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I think they make an excellent line of routers because most are capable of being flashed with dd-wrt or Tomato. This free aftermarket firmware adds a lot of functionality and stability to the platform. I particularly like having the router perform a double duty of being an OpenVPN server allowing me to connect securely from the road to my home network to bank, shop, etc. securely while at a hotel.

Please google the specific model with 'dd-wrt' or 'tomato' just to make sure that particular router is compatible.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
Don't make a decision on what router to buy based on what type of DC adapter it has - that's just a bad idea.

Find the router you want, and just buy a new DC adapter that fits it - something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CostMad-Univ...5022743&sr=8-1
This may be a stupid question, but when a router doesn't automatically convert, is it the router or the adapter? Meaning, could I buy whatever router I want and just buy a new A/C adapter that works with 220 volts?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's usually the adapter. If the adapter is a brick, the adapter is doing the converting. It's putting out 12 volts or whatever the router needs.

I don't think I've ever seen a router for home use that did the converting, it's always been the power adapter doing the work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.