Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Quad Core Phone Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Cheap Quad Core Phone Recommendations?

I got this cheap LG L9 and hate it. I am looking to try out a new cheap phone because that is apparently what I like to do. I have been looking for a cheap quad core option and there are several Chinese vanilla brands out there but most do not have the 1700Mhz band that I need for T-Mobile (not sure when they are going to 1900 in my area).

The most likely candidate I have found so far is the following Blu phone, http://www.bluproducts.com/pro-detail/quattro45 which can be had for about $239.

Anybody out there have any other suggestions for quad core, 1700Mhz and under $250?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mcgahat
The most likely candidate I have found so far is the following Blu phone, http://www.bluproducts.com/pro-detail/quattro45 which can be had for about $239.

Anybody out there have any other suggestions for quad core, 1700Mhz and under $250?
The reviews are very mixed. I would wait a few weeks and see how these new Blu phones pan out...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/b...s-smartphones/
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:12 am

I would consider a Nexus 4 even, if it is a little bit more expensive, than your suggested phone.

I have one since Christmas and it is in my opinion a great phone.

Link : https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Yeah, the Nexus 4 definitely looks better and I don't mind paying more as the 8GB model is only $299. The Nexus 4 does not have a micro SD slot though, correct?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Right now, "cheap" and "quad core phone" aren't usually used in the same sentence.

However, if you wait for the release of the S4, you might be able to pick up a used international version S3 off CL within your price range.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:22 pm

Yeah, the Nexus 4 definitely looks better and I don't mind paying more as the 8GB model is only $299. The Nexus 4 does not have a micro SD slot though, correct?
You're correct, there is no sd slot.

I have a Nexus 4 and am very happy with it. I would suggest thinking about paying a little extra for one. You get what you pay for (usually).
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

You folks are costing me money here. I am hearing nothing but good things about the Nexus 4 not only here but elsewhere but if I go with an N4 I will have to get the 16GB model as 8 isn't enough I don't think. Oh well, the N4 is actually pretty cheap for what it is I guess. I was hoping someone would have an alternative but it looks like the almighty Google will likely get more of my business.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Right now, "cheap" and "quad core phone" aren't usually used in the same sentence.

However, if you wait for the release of the S4, you might be able to pick up a used international version S3 off CL within your price range.
Check out this site, http://lightake.com (there are others as well). There are a lot of the no name brand phones in the $250 range that are quad core. My issue is the 1700mhz band that I am looking for.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL 2MM
I just gave up my intl s3 for an s4
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Check out this site, http://lightake.com (there are others as well). There are a lot of the no name brand phones in the $250 range that are quad core. My issue is the 1700mhz band that I am looking for.
Are the quad-core off-brand-SoC-based (RokChip, etc) phones actually as fast as the newer quad-core chips? Or would you be just as well off with a dual-core Snapdragon or QualComm?

Relatively few phones do 1700mhz. A lot of the cheap Chinese ones don't even do the other 4 UMTS bands. Full pentaband UMTS (as in the international GN2 and Nexus4) is quite rare.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by nkedel
Are the quad-core off-brand-SoC-based (RokChip, etc) phones actually as fast as the newer quad-core chips? Or would you be just as well off with a dual-core Snapdragon or QualComm?

Relatively few phones do 1700mhz. A lot of the cheap Chinese ones don't even do the other 4 UMTS bands. Full pentaband UMTS (as in the international GN2 and Nexus4) is quite rare.
While I don't know the answer to this, I do know a few people who have bought the "cheapie" Chinese branded/made phones. While tempted by the low prices, when they actually got it, they pretty much immediately dumped/sold them. Issues such as OS, responsiveness of touch screen, and overall capabilities (I'm told) just weren't there.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

While I don't know the answer to this, I do know a few people who have bought the "cheapie" Chinese branded/made phones. While tempted by the low prices, when they actually got it, they pretty much immediately dumped/sold them. Issues such as OS, responsiveness of touch screen, and overall capabilities (I'm told) just weren't there.
That is definitely the problem with these guys and why I really asked the question in the first place as there are good models out there but you are taking a risk when buying one of these phones online as most are bad builds. I was hoping that someone had some first hand experience with a specific model.

The thing I like best about the Nexus is the amount of RAM, 2GB is solid. Shipping and taxes are negatives.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Dirt
The Chinese no name Android phones and tablets are not certified for Google Play Store, and therefore will not be able to use Google-developed apps such as Maps, Gmail, etc. There are alternative app stores like Amazon, Getjar, etc., but they do not have Google apps. If you are technically inclined, you can root and install the Play Store.

The major makers like Hwawei, ZTE, Xiaomi, etc. are property certified and supported, but they are not much cheaper than the Samsungs or hTCs.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Yeah, the experience various friends had with them in the last generation of phones -- and some of the current generation of tablets -- is not encouraging.

Originally Posted by msb0b
The Chinese no name Android phones and tablets are not certified for Google Play Store, and therefore will not be able to use Google-developed apps such as Maps, Gmail, etc.
True for the older generation; some, and by no means all, of the newer ones do have it. Most of the vendors will say one of three things: "comes with Google Play Store," "doesn't come with, but can add later" (which means the root and install method, not for the faint of heart), or "no" -- which means stay away.

The only one I can actually confirm came with it was a cheapie Aigo tablet.

The major makers like Hwawei, ZTE, Xiaomi, etc. are property certified and supported, but they are not much cheaper than the Samsungs or hTCs.
Indeed, and often quite a bit pricier than the last-generation ones name-brand sold as prepaid in the US. My spare phone is a $70 PanTech. It was early-2010-speed hardware, running Gingerbread, but for $70 new, I can't complain.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Don't personally know the phone, but bought from the site quite a few times and no issues.

http://www.merimobiles.com/k-touch-v...p/meri6936.htm

$249 and free shipping !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.