FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Prepaid SIM - Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1449408-prepaid-sim-vietnam.html)

IceTrojan Mar 19, 2013 12:04 am

Prepaid SIM - Vietnam

Hello all,

This is to help those who might need phone service in Vietnam. It's actually quite easy, and I've done it dozens of times.

Which leads to my apologies for not remembering the details! I will be going in a few weeks, so I can update with specific information (or sooner if I get it)... right now I can reassure you that a) it's easy and b) it's cheap.

Requirements:
  • A world phone or unlocked phone with a SIM slot
  • Micro-SIM? No problem! Just let them know and they'll just cut it down the size for you.

Providers - The majors are:
  • Mobiphone (locally called "Mobi")
  • Viettel
  • Vinaphone (locally called "Vina," in context)

The Costs:
  • CHEAP... you buy a refillable SIM chip with certain starting amount (typically 200,000VND I believe, which is about 10USD).
    • If you don't need a fixed number during your trip, for more value you can purchase a throw-away sim, aka "sim khuyen mai".
    • These are typically 11-digits vs. 10-digits normal ones and comes with extra minutes/credits.
    • For example a 50,000VND throw-away sim is preloaded with 100k credit
  • CALLS: Fraction of a (US) penny a minute.
  • TEXT: 400VND (.02USD) each text sent
  • DATA: This is the amazing one. For $2 a month, you get unlimited 3G data, which apparently throttles after 2Gb. This is great for info and navigating around the country.
**All the above info to be confirmed.

How to get a card:
  • Easiest way is to ask the front counter of your hotel. They'll call up your preferred carrier to have the SIM delivered, or they can even refill your spent SIM over the phone for you (including taking payment).
  • Branded and affiliated retailers abound in the urban areas.

Other notes:
  • Check your balance by dialing *101#
  • Mobifone has the best data service in the big cities.
  • Please use caution when using your phone in public, as snatch-and-run has increased in big cities like HCMC & Hanoi.

speedy_j Mar 19, 2013 12:46 am

I think you cover all the pertinent info already but here's some more:

1. If you don't need a fixed number during your trip, purchase a throw-away sim, aka "sim khuyen mai". These are typically 11-digits vs. 10-digits normal ones and comes with extra minutes/credits. For example a 50,000VND throw-away sim is preloaded with 100k credit
2. Check your balance by dialing *101#
3. If you'll be mostly in big cities, data service on Mobifone is best.
4. Please use common sense when using your device in public as snatch-n-run has increased in big cities like HCMC & Hanoi
5. It's Vinaphone, not "Vinacom"

Enjoy your trip and if you need help, let me know.

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20444179)
Hello all,

This is to help those who might need phone service in Vietnam. It's actually quite easy, and I've done it dozens of times.

Which leads to my apologies for not remembering the details! I will be going in a few weeks, so I can update with specific information (or sooner if I get it)... right now I can reassure you that a) it's easy and b) it's cheap.

Requirements:
  • A world phone or unlocked phone with a SIM slot
  • Micro-SIM? No problem! Just let them know and they'll just cut it down the size for you.

Providers - The majors are:
  • Mobiphone (locally called "Mobi")
  • Viettel
  • Vinacom (locally called "Vina, in context")

The Costs:
  • CHEAP... you buy a refillable SIM chip with certain starting amount (typically 200,000VND I believe, which is about 10USD).
  • CALLS: Fraction of a (US) penny a minute.
  • TEXT: 400VND (.02USD) each text sent
  • DATA: This is the amazing one. For $2 a month, you get unlimited 3G data, which apparently throttles after 2Gb. This is great for info and navigating around the country.
**All the above info to be confirmed.

How to get a card:
  • Easiest way is to ask the front counter of your hotel. They'll call up your preferred carrier to have the SIM delivered, or they can even refill your spent SIM for you (including taking payment).
  • Branded and affiliated retailers abound in the urban areas.

IceTrojan Mar 19, 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by speedy_j (Post 20444286)
5. It's Vinaphone, not "Vinacom"

D'oh.. that was dumb! I had a Vinaphone SIM when I was there 2 months ago.

Thanks!

ryandelmundo Apr 28, 2013 5:21 am

For Mobifone you can activate the unlimited data plan (40,000VND for a month) by doing this:

Send an SMS to 999 that says DK MIU. It will autorenew.

More info at this link

http://www.mobifone.com.vn/portal/en...nternet_hd.jsp

Cell phones in VN are a great deal. I don't recall talk being that cheap but yeah you don't spend much money on it.

They also have 50% top up bonuses from time to time. Watch the stores for the signs. I always try to top-up during the bonus, and keep a few small denomination scratch off's in my wallet to keep me going until I can get the top-up!

boerne Jan 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Bump- we were on an Amawaterways trip starting in Hanoi. The Sofitel Metropole is centrally located. I walked 2 blocks toward the lake (put your back to the Citibank ATM, use the very rare pedestrian crossing signals with caution). We found a little counter with a sales guy with good English. We got the tourist sim card with 2 gb of data and calling minutes. I asked him to make sure data was activated. It was $16 USD and he was happy about that. Before I left his stand I did a speedtest and got a ping of 32 and 8 mbs down, which was great. Later in several places I got 15 down. Using a first gen Moto G world phone. We had decent speeds everywhere including Ha Long bay, and the highways. Vinaphone was the carrier.

LAXlocal Jan 30, 2016 11:32 am

How much are text messages out of the country ?.

or calls to the USA ?

and how long are the sims good for if I want to buy one before I travel to Vietnam ?

Thanks for the info

WilcoRoger Mar 2, 2016 3:58 am

I bought today one for 100k VND (4€) (Vina) with 5GB data, it says valid until August/2016. Probably even later, if one would top it up.

The arrivals hall after customs has a large number of kiosks selling SIMs and plans, shop around. Really - one kiosk offered basically the same service from Viettel for 290k

PS - who would use normal calls to the USA when you have cheap and (nearly) unlimited data? Facetime, Skype, etc all go into the data plan

aztimm Sep 5, 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 26271031)
I bought today one for 100k VND (4€) (Vina) with 5GB data, it says valid until August/2016. Probably even later, if one would top it up.

The arrivals hall after customs has a large number of kiosks selling SIMs and plans, shop around. Really - one kiosk offered basically the same service from Viettel for 290k

PS - who would use normal calls to the USA when you have cheap and (nearly) unlimited data? Facetime, Skype, etc all go into the data plan

Anyone know how late the counters are typically open at SGN?
My flight is due to arrive around 10pm on Friday.

My hope is that if I get a SIM at the airport, I can then use Uber into town...unless it is tough to use Uber from SGN like other airports.

linglingfool Sep 9, 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 27169377)

My hope is that if I get a SIM at the airport, I can then use Uber into town...unless it is tough to use Uber from SGN like other airports.

Interested as well. Description or pictures of the aforementioned cheap booth would be helpful too!

Coolers Sep 9, 2016 2:29 pm

unless it is tough to use Uber from SGN like other airports.

Quite easy. Just be aware the car waiting area is packed, so keep an eye on the GPS so you know when your call is about to pull up.

ryandelmundo Nov 22, 2016 9:07 am

Be careful picking out your sim, it might not have telephone capability.

Arrived at the airport and grabbed a SIM for 150k with 3GB of data ("unlimited" but even the throttled speed is pretty speedy in Vietnam). Didn't think too much of it, was in a hurry,so didn't look around for price.

Flash forward a week, and I'm trying to get a Grab-Taxi (like Uber) back at the airport after dropping off a friend. Four guys canceled on me. Turns out the SIM I bought was data-only. My guess is they called me, the phone didn't answer, and they canceled.

Another 30k ($1.50) would have gotten me the phone. So now I need a new SIM, gonna stick this one into my tablet.

Grab/Uber are the way to get around now (unless you ride a bike), so make sure your SIM has phone.

On the plus side, I'm gonna refer myself with Grab and Uber to my new number and it should probably pay off the new SIM card with free rides:)

ryandelmundo Nov 22, 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Coolers (Post 27189321)
Quite easy. Just be aware the car waiting area is packed, so keep an eye on the GPS so you know when your call is about to pull up.

At least 5 times as many Grab-Taxis as Ubers at the airport (and in general). Google Maps shows the current Grab/Uber prices, so check there when picking which one to use if you're using both.

When Grab/Uber hit 2X pricing (rush hour and rain), you might as well get a regular taxi. They seem to cost twice as much.

The other problem with Grab/Uber is it says "2 minute pickup" but I've never had one take less than 5, if they even find you. The drivers are still figuring this stuff out. If you're in a hurry, plan ahead (many of my friends just make the guy wait) or get a real taxi.

Ditto Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Might be too late now, but there is really no need to get Uber/Grab at SGN airport, just go outside and grab a taxi, the preferred companies are Mai Linh/Vinasun, and the driver would start the meter, a ride to the city would be <10$ (I think we paid about 130K or 150K VND)

WilcoRoger Dec 3, 2016 6:30 am

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo (Post 27513744)
Grab/Uber are the way to get around now (unless you ride a bike), so make sure your SIM has phone.

Why so? Taxis are abundant and cheap. Even at 4 am there were a number of them outside my hotel, costing 150k to the airport.

Coolers Dec 3, 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 27560007)
Why so? Taxis are abundant and cheap. Even at 4 am there were a number of them outside my hotel, costing 150k to the airport.

Because my UberX today from the airport to my D1 hotel was 82k including airport fee, during weekend rush hour.