Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Must be all the Apple blogs you're reading...

In reality, the sales numbers will be the final judge. Personally, I'm no fan of 5" screens and not really a fan of Samsung phones, but have been genuinely surprised at how well the S3 has sold - which has a 4.8" screen.
And supposedly the S4 is thinner but same length/width as the S3, so I doubt people will be upset over the 5" screen.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wish there was a way to block all instances of "Samsung" (and Apple, Khardashian, Bieber, Seacrest...) on my 4" HTC and 10" Asus screens.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And supposedly the S4 is thinner but same length/width as the S3, so I doubt people will be upset over the 5" screen.
How is it possible to have a bigger screen in the same size phone? I was all set to get an S4 but Android's fascination with comically oversized phones is really annoying. The iPhone 5 is about as big as I could want.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:01 am

> Android's fascination with comically oversized phones is really annoying.

Just another blondes, brunettes & redheads thing. That's the wonderful thing about
an alternative innovator in a free market.

Me? I'm looking unload my comically undersized 4S for the S4.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Wish there was a way to block all instances of "Samsung" (and Apple, Khardashian, Bieber, Seacrest...) on my 4" HTC and 10" Asus screens.
I used to love HTC but their inability to make a phone with a decent speaker just annoyed me too much. The new HTC One looks like they might have that solved - but have since added further annoyances of no SD card slot and a non-removable battery.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
> Android's fascination with comically oversized phones is really annoying.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
How is it possible to have a bigger screen in the same size phone? I was all set to get an S4 but Android's fascination with comically oversized phones is really annoying. The iPhone 5 is about as big as I could want.
More efficient use of the space. However, not everyone wants a 5 inch screen. Some want bigger, some want smaller. It's nice that you can get high-end Android devices in various sizes. My wife loves her Note 2 and can't wait for the Note 3. For me, 5 inches is perfect. My mother prefers smaller. Choice is good.

The S4 has 8 cores, and extremely nice screen and media capabilities, and the eye-tracking and payment technologies should be interesting. Removable battery and storage will make a lot of people happy. Nothing mind-blowingly revolutionary, but given that the S3 is widely regarded as being more advanced than the iPhone 5 despite being months older, the S4 will really set the bar high for the iPhone 5S. Apple is going to have to pull off some seriously crazy advancements if they want to catch up... maybe they should just skip to the iPhone 7

Last edited by mooper; Mar 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Internaut
Samsung had a chance in this area with the S3 Mini but instead played on the S3's name rather than it's power.
Something I am very, very disappointed about.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
How is it possible to have a bigger screen in the same size phone?
The screen is only slightly smaller (4.8" to 4.99"). The extra size comes from their reducing the size of the case around the screen, so it now goes closer to the edge.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Is the S4 the final nail in the coffin for Apple in the phone space? Some think so.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mooper
Is the S4 the final nail in the coffin for Apple in the phone space? Some think so.
Yeah, everyone is going to get rid of their iPhones and re-buy all the apps.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
iPhone users are generally wealthy and not that price-sensitive, as the iPhone used to be the best and most expensive phone. Now that it has been surpassed by the S3 (soon S4), Note 2 (soon Note 3), and many others, it isn't the best phone, but it remains the most expensive. Samsung's is hoping users will think, "Hey, if I'm going to invest this kind of money in my phone, I should have the best, I should have choice, and I'd better plan for the long term", causing them to defect.

Of course, there's still a large influx of new smartphone users without shackles who haven't had a high-end Apple nor Android phone before, and the S4 is hoping to capture many of them.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Has anyone figured out if the Verizon flavor of the Galaxy S4 will be a global phone? I imagine it *has* to be if every US carrier is getting it, but I'm just curious if anyone has seen anything buried in the technical data.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Don't bring logic into a discussion with him, he doesn't understand it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Has anyone figured out if the Verizon flavor of the Galaxy S4 will be a global phone? I imagine it *has* to be if every US carrier is getting it, but I'm just curious if anyone has seen anything buried in the technical data.
I know the S4 is being released in like 500 countries + carriers (150 countries over 350 carriers), but I'm not sure specifically about the Verizon version.

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Don't bring logic into a discussion with him, he doesn't understand it.
No need to get personal. I'm not offended by different opinions about phone manufacturers, nor should you be. My career relates to this, so I'm just sharing my experience and understanding. It's correct that Apple users are much more invested/shackled (depending upon how you view it) than others, but as Apple has taken the approach of restricting choice, data (and market share) is suggesting that Apple users are increasingly fed up and breaking away. The S4 is only going to exacerbate that.

That said, if Apple can release a ground-breaking update in the 5S soon, it's not too late for them to stop the bleeding. The competition is great for the consumer.

Last edited by mooper; Mar 18, 2013 at 9:08 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by mooper

I think you need to fix the link, as the linked story does not in any way say that the S4 is a final nail in Apple's Coffin. But any chance to bash apple I guess can't be missed. Iphones will not go away simply because of this phone. Indeed, Ziff Davis has a listing of analysts who say Samsung's Galaxy S4 no Apple iPhone killer, analysts say

Though I do find the front page of the NY Post from last week pretty funny

Last edited by cordelli; Mar 18, 2013 at 8:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.