Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Silver Fox
This is a stub Wiki for this thread - the idea is that any member can edit it to keep it up to date as a distillation of the best info from the thread.

3 - 200MB Free data SIM
3 - 15 pounds for 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited 3G data for a month (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112) The deal might not be dead but to buy the addon you need to switch WiFi off (!!) and open http://three.co.uk/my3 on your device as this unlinked support page says. Three customer service and store both says this doesn't work with tablets -- however customer service are idiots and doesn't know what is a tablet only knows phones and iPads (both phone and chat -- this is apparently company level). Tread carefully. Anyways, this method still worked on January 13, 2015.

Note the GBP15 all you can eat deal has now been pulled(Note 8/3/16: All in one with All you can eat data is now GBP25): http://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/AIO20B

If you don't want to buy a bundle or a plan, Three's flat rate for calls is now 3p per minute. The expiry time of one month or three months for topups has now been removed. So you pay only 3p per call minute for what you use.

Three's data is only 1p per MB, and you can buy packages (eg 500MB for 5 pounds). The packages ("add-ons") may not save money directly, but those data packages are eligible for use in "Feel at Home" countries (Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Macau, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, USA) at no extra charge. See http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM11925)

EE: http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

giffgaff: www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nfh (Ł5 free credit) or www.giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim (no free credit)

Three: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

How do I top up with an overseas card, or can I use PayPal?

Strangely, some firms insist that you must use a UK issued credit card to topup. Some do take PayPal:

Giffgaff
Vodafone

But it is not as prevalent as it should bein this day and age admittedly. There is a firm that some people have reported success with and they are:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 5 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)
900MHz (Band 8)
1800MHz (Band 3)
2100MHz (Band 1)
2600MHz (Band 7)

Here's a chart for iPhones and which bands each model can use. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you're not sure which model you have, look on the back of your iPhone or go into Settings-->General-->About-->Legal-->Regulatory

iphone 5 users note that: iPhone 5 cannot get 4G/LTE on the 800MHz or 2600MHz frequencies but it can on the 1800 frequency.

For other users there are a number of resources to check the frequency your phone supports including:

Global Certification Forum

As an example this is the data for a Samsung J1 Ace SM-J111F

GSMARENA

What frequencies do the different operators use?

Each operator in the UK utilises different frequencies to deliver their mobile networks with the core networks being EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Then there are also operators, called mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), who utilise the backend of the core networks to offer their own services.

The frequencies used by the major UK networks are:

EE (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz & 2600MHz

O2 (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Vodafone (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 2600MHz

Three (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHZ

The frequencies used by UK’s MVNO’s are listed below:

Asda Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

BT Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

iD Mobile (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz

Freedom Pop (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHz

GiffGaff (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Lebara Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

LycaMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

TalkMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

TalkTalk (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Tesco Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

The People’s Operator (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

Virgin Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz, & 2600MHz

Please add and edit!
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:39 pm

Are there are shops someone can recommend by the Hyde Park station? I will be coming from LHR via the Piccadilly line. If not any other tourist locations

I will be needing a sim card for two weeks that provides at least 3 gb of data with roaming in EU area. Don't need much air time or text.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Are there are shops someone can recommend by the Hyde Park station? I will be coming from LHR via the Piccadilly line. If not any other tourist locations

I will be needing a sim card for two weeks that provides at least 3 gb of data with roaming in EU area. Don't need much air time or text.

Thanks
Although I cannot recommend one, in the UK it is a lot easier than the US to get a SIM card from a supermarket, corner shop, petrol station, in fact loads of places. You will see adverts for Lycamobile, Lebara, plus there will be the usual shops of Vodafone, O2, 3, EE, plus carphone warehouse.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa

Thanks
Not sure about phone shops near Hyde Park Corner, you might need to wander up to Oxford St or Edgeware Road however there are vending machines at LHR where you can buy a Lyca and Lebara (and perhaps other carriers) SIMs
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:18 am

Take your pick (and that's not counting the small one-man shops not on the map e.g. newspaper stands):
https://www.google.no/maps/search/hy.../data=!3m1!4b1
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:41 am

I have a couple of 3 UK prepaid SIMs that aren't yet activated that I plan to use for 10 days in March/April in Sweden and Denmark.

Ideally, I'd like to use them again when I go back to the UK in September. Will these remain active or will I need to buy another set when I arrive in the UK again? Ideally, I'd like to just keep them active and maintain the UK number. They won't ever actually be used in the UK until that trip, but I can occasionally use them from the US if that would have them remain active.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manda99
I have a couple of 3 UK prepaid SIMs that aren't yet activated that I plan to use for 10 days in March/April in Sweden and Denmark.

Ideally, I'd like to use them again when I go back to the UK in September. Will these remain active or will I need to buy another set when I arrive in the UK again? Ideally, I'd like to just keep them active and maintain the UK number. They won't ever actually be used in the UK until that trip, but I can occasionally use them from the US if that would have them remain active.
That's what I've done. My 3 SIM is still going - at one point I hadn't been back to the UK for a year and it was still active. Just send a text every few months and log in online to keep it alive.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by eyeNina
That's what I've done. My 3 SIM is still going - at one point I hadn't been back to the UK for a year and it was still active. Just send a text every few months and log in online to keep it alive.
Good to hear! Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Three's terms and conditions specify that they can suspend your account if it's inactive for more than six months. You might want to set up a recurring event on your calendar to remind you every 25 weeks, to be on the safe side.
If within a 6 month period you have not (i) activated a Pay As You Go
Voucher on your account or (ii) made any chargeable events or
activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo
messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three
Services for which a charge is made), we may also suspend our
Services or disconnect you.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 26, 2016 at 1:57 pm
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Three's terms and conditions specify that they can suspend your account if it's inactive for more than six months. You might want to set up a recurring event on your calendar to remind you every 25 weeks, to be on the safe side.

OTOH... I have a three sim that I haven't used in a year and a half. When I log in to the three.co.uk site, it says it still has credit and will never expire.

Credit (1)
Credit Valid until Remaining
Top-up credit Won't expire
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes

I'd read elsewhere that there was some sort of rule about the card being deactivated if it was used exclusively outside the UK for more than 3 months?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:06 pm

I had a data-only 3 sim I purchased in 2012 for a trip, worked fine, then I never did anything with it again, and the balance was 0. When planning a trip back to london last fall, I logged into the 3 website, my sim still seemed 'alive', so I bought a top-up online, added it to my account, and it worked fine when I was there.

I did leave a 5 pound voucher in the account this time, as I imagine I'll be back again in the next year or 2, and it's still alive now.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I'd read elsewhere that there was some sort of rule about the card being deactivated if it was used exclusively outside the UK for more than 3 months?
Nope that's just for Feel At Home which is only supposed to be for short trips.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Nope that's just for Feel At Home which is only supposed to be for short trips.
That's what I'll be doing though. I'll have the sims activated for 6 months and used outside the uk before they are used in the uk.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:23 pm

They don't disconnect you for that but they do cut off the somewhat new Three At Home program. Which is totally understandable. I send my US number a text from the Three number every few months. I've this number for a few years now.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:38 pm

That's what I'll be doing though. I'll have the sims activated for 6 months and used outside the uk before they are used in the uk.
Ah I assumed you'd at least be in the UK before you head elsewhere. I think we got focussed on the "will they turn the SIM card off" part. I can't say what will work for you if you aren't at least in the UK first. If the phone # doesn't matter, why not just get a local Denmark/Sweden prepaid?

But I moved to T-Mobile when the iPhone 6 came out and I have free roaming now so I don't even really need the Three SIM anymore. It's slower than 4g but works well at no additional cost to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.