Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Silver Fox
This is a stub Wiki for this thread - the idea is that any member can edit it to keep it up to date as a distillation of the best info from the thread.

3 - 200MB Free data SIM
3 - 15 pounds for 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited 3G data for a month (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112) The deal might not be dead but to buy the addon you need to switch WiFi off (!!) and open http://three.co.uk/my3 on your device as this unlinked support page says. Three customer service and store both says this doesn't work with tablets -- however customer service are idiots and doesn't know what is a tablet only knows phones and iPads (both phone and chat -- this is apparently company level). Tread carefully. Anyways, this method still worked on January 13, 2015.

Note the GBP15 all you can eat deal has now been pulled(Note 8/3/16: All in one with All you can eat data is now GBP25): http://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/AIO20B

If you don't want to buy a bundle or a plan, Three's flat rate for calls is now 3p per minute. The expiry time of one month or three months for topups has now been removed. So you pay only 3p per call minute for what you use.

Three's data is only 1p per MB, and you can buy packages (eg 500MB for 5 pounds). The packages ("add-ons") may not save money directly, but those data packages are eligible for use in "Feel at Home" countries (Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Macau, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, USA) at no extra charge. See http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM11925)

EE: http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

giffgaff: www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nfh (Ł5 free credit) or www.giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim (no free credit)

Three: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

How do I top up with an overseas card, or can I use PayPal?

Strangely, some firms insist that you must use a UK issued credit card to topup. Some do take PayPal:

Giffgaff
Vodafone

But it is not as prevalent as it should bein this day and age admittedly. There is a firm that some people have reported success with and they are:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 5 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)
900MHz (Band 8)
1800MHz (Band 3)
2100MHz (Band 1)
2600MHz (Band 7)

Here's a chart for iPhones and which bands each model can use. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you're not sure which model you have, look on the back of your iPhone or go into Settings-->General-->About-->Legal-->Regulatory

iphone 5 users note that: iPhone 5 cannot get 4G/LTE on the 800MHz or 2600MHz frequencies but it can on the 1800 frequency.

For other users there are a number of resources to check the frequency your phone supports including:

Global Certification Forum

As an example this is the data for a Samsung J1 Ace SM-J111F

GSMARENA

What frequencies do the different operators use?

Each operator in the UK utilises different frequencies to deliver their mobile networks with the core networks being EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Then there are also operators, called mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), who utilise the backend of the core networks to offer their own services.

The frequencies used by the major UK networks are:

EE (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz & 2600MHz

O2 (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Vodafone (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 2600MHz

Three (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHZ

The frequencies used by UK’s MVNO’s are listed below:

Asda Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

BT Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

iD Mobile (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz

Freedom Pop (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHz

GiffGaff (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Lebara Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

LycaMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

TalkMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

TalkTalk (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Tesco Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

The People’s Operator (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

Virgin Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz, & 2600MHz

Please add and edit!
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by theworld
Just checking, what is the perceived preference these days for people visiting the UK. Three or GiffGaff?
I'm heading over there this month and I'm still undecided. I was considering ASDA Mobile. You can get a 30 day bundle of 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and 4 gigs of data for Ł20. ASDA mobile uses EE. I was in UK in 2013. I bought an Orange SIM then. It was just at the start of the merger of T-Mobile and Orange and you could already roam onto the other network. I travelled mainly in north-east Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh and a big loop down the east coast and up the west. Coverage was quite good, even in Scotland.

I'd found out about GiffGaff before I went, but at the time I didn't have a way of getting hold of a SIM in time. EE did seem to work fine for me, but I can't compare it against anything else.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by weegraeme
I'm heading over there this month and I'm still undecided. I was considering ASDA Mobile. You can get a 30 day bundle of 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and 4 gigs of data for Ł20. ASDA mobile uses EE. I was in UK in 2013. I bought an Orange SIM then. It was just at the start of the merger of T-Mobile and Orange and you could already roam onto the other network. I travelled mainly in north-east Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh and a big loop down the east coast and up the west. Coverage was quite good, even in Scotland.

I'd found out about GiffGaff before I went, but at the time I didn't have a way of getting hold of a SIM in time. EE did seem to work fine for me, but I can't compare it against anything else.
I used Three in London and really satisfied with it! Also good you can use some roaming in 18 countries for free.

You also get Virgin-WIFI in LOndon UNderground.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:30 am

I got some mails from Three about a big change for the 5 june. But I do not see any differences :-) Can someone light me up what has changed?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by mgo72
I used Three in London and really satisfied with it! Also good you can use some roaming in 18 countries for free.
Is that using Three Feel At Home? If so, be aware that the 'roaming' is to the UK only. Other destinations would be at roaming rates.
You also get Virgin-WIFI in LOndon UNderground.
This is available to users on these networks
- Virgin Media Broadband and Mobile customers
- EE, T-Mobile and Orange
- Vodafone
- O2
- Three

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/station-wifi

Certain stations only - https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...media-wifi.pdf - and above ground, not in tunnels.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:11 pm

Just checking, what is the perceived preference these days for people visiting the UK. Three or GiffGaff?
My brother and I used three for our trip in April. Worked great. We ordered SIMs from eBay prior to,the trip and activated the 15GBP plan the day online before we left so it was active upon arrival. (We switched out our SIMs out on the plane.). Unlimited data but no tethering. I don't remember how many minutes or texts but you can check out the prepay packages online.

Edit: I just checked and its 300 minutes and 3000 texts.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Is that using Three Feel At Home? If so, be aware that the 'roaming' is to the UK only. Other destinations would be at roaming rates.
Data is free on 3G.

Calling I would do by Voip with the free data :-)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
what is best prepay sim so that i can tether, i was planning on getting a 10gig plan and tethering off my iphone 6+..

looks like you can't on 3 or giffgaf..
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guy999
what is best prepay sim so that i can tether, i was planning on getting a 10gig plan and tethering off my iphone 6+..

You might look at getting a USB modem (dongle) or WiFi hotspot with a prepaid data plan. You would probably have to visit a store though.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You might look at getting a USB modem (dongle) or WiFi hotspot with a prepaid data plan. You would probably have to visit a store though.

do you know if it's possible to buy the sim before I leave us. I do have a mifi device, it's only 3g, but that's likely sufficient
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by guy999

On giffgaff you can tether on any plan except the unlimited ones. I may have some giffgaff SIMs on me at the moment (I am in the US) if you want me to send one, just PM me if you do and I will take a look tonight.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:46 pm

Looking through it seems GiffGaff offers better value.

They have PAYG offers that range from GBP5 to GBP20 a month depending on usage. For a visit I don't see any need in needing unlimited data. Even in my home network using 4G I never exceed 2GB in a month. Sure when you are abroad, you might not have access to wifi at home, and you might use more data, but you are also normally away for a shorter period.

I think GiffGaff uses the o2 network.

Last edited by theworld; Jun 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looking through it seems GiffGaff offers better value.

They have PAYG offers that range from GBP5 to GBP20 a month depending on usage. For a visit I don't see any need in needing unlimited data. Even in my home network using 4G I never exceed 2GB in a month. Sure when you are abroad, you might not have access to wifi at home, and you might use more data, but you are also normally away for a shorter period.

I think GiffGaff is one the o2 network.
Yes, giffgaff uses the O2 network.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes, giffgaff uses the O2 network.
Wow, spotted my typo there, thanks for the confirmation.

In the past when back home I've used both Three and GiffGaff. Overall I did find GiffGaff coverage better (London and Croydon, don't judge). However one major benefit of using Three was the fact we could use the phone for data when we were in France and Austria as part of our PAYG.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:29 pm

It really depends on how you will use the data plan. Last time we were overseas for a few weeks, we used almost 200 mg per day in watching the market for a few hours and checking for email. For checking less than 30 email per day, we used about 20 mg.

If you plan to use Facetime (either video or just voice), Google Voice, etc. to stay connected, an unlimited data plan would be extremely helpful.

I'd really like to use my iPhone 6+ to share data in UK. Any plan that offers good connection and unlimited data, and is Ok with (or tolerate some) tethering would be great.

T-Mobile's Simple Choice (sold in the US) is a good idea if you travel a lot. The only drawback, for me at least, is that they will do a hard credit pull.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by mgo72
I got some mails from Three about a big change for the 5 june. But I do not see any differences :-) Can someone light me up what has changed?
They now have adverts featuring a purple puppet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.