Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Bgsnmky
Are vodaphone shops just all over the place..trying to figure out how to find one.
In the main cities at least in the north and center, yes. website <<vodafone dot it>> will get you the addresses of their shops.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:56 pm

-thanks for the help and advice !

.cj
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
New iPads announced this past week support more LTE bands than any previous device, even the iPhone 5S announced last month.

Specifically, they support LTE bands 3, 7 and 20, or the 1800, 2600 and 800 Mhz bands supported by the main carriers throughout Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

So I'm thinking about getting an iPad Mini with Retina and 4G/LTE before I visit Italy again.

I've used TIM prepaid data SIMs on previous visits to use an Internet connection outdoors and often at the hotel, because many hotels in Italy have poor Wifi connections or really cumbersome login procedures.

However, the iPads use nano SIMs so I want to make sure their prepaid data plans are supported with nano SIMs. For instance, they have a Internet 4G plan that provides 15 GB of LTE 4G (LTE) data for 35 Euro:

http://www.tim.it/internet/offerte-i...r-tablet?tab=2

(I'm not sure why there are double the amounts there under the column "GB Mensili se a casa hai Telecom Italia. I'm guessing it means if you have Telecom Italia service at home, they double the amount of data you get under these plans?)

I'm wondering if nano SIMs would cost extra above the plan price.

Or alternatively, I have a couple of standard TIM SIMs with some credit left. I know there are ways to cut them but would they swap them and transfer the credit?

Has anyone tried getting a nano SIM from TIM?

My plan would also be to use the Hotspot mode, which some members here have reported TIM allows with their prepaid SIMs, I believe.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Hmm for 25 Euro, you should have gotten 10 GB of data, not just 250 MB:http://www.tim.it/internet/offerte-i...-per-chiavetta
Mrs and I might be heading over in early March, via Zurich.

Are the TIM or other prepaid sim cards available for iPhone 5 and 5s at the Florence Airport after we arrive? I tried to navigate the site with Chrome and translation but go nowhere fast....

Last edited by dtsm; Dec 30, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

I never tried at FLR but they do have shops.

But as soon as you get into town, you'll see shops all over. For instance, I took the bus to the train station from the airport and there were plenty of shops.

Of course for Italian SIMs, you need a codice fiscale. I think they'll just copy down your passport number.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:35 am

I never tried at FLR but they do have shops
Thank you ^
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:58 am
Suspended

Sorry I meant general shops. Not TIM or Vodaphone or Wind shops that I could recall seeing.

But I'm sure some express shops that sell tobacco probably has SIMs or at least top up cards.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
New iPads announced this past week support more LTE bands than any previous device, even the iPhone 5S announced last month.

Specifically, they support LTE bands 3, 7 and 20, or the 1800, 2600 and 800 Mhz bands supported by the main carriers throughout Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

So I'm thinking about getting an iPad Mini with Retina and 4G/LTE before I visit Italy again.

I've used TIM prepaid data SIMs on previous visits to use an Internet connection outdoors and often at the hotel, because many hotels in Italy have poor Wifi connections or really cumbersome login procedures.

However, the iPads use nano SIMs so I want to make sure their prepaid data plans are supported with nano SIMs. For instance, they have a Internet 4G plan that provides 15 GB of LTE 4G (LTE) data for 35 Euro:

http://www.tim.it/internet/offerte-i...r-tablet?tab=2

(I'm not sure why there are double the amounts there under the column "GB Mensili se a casa hai Telecom Italia. I'm guessing it means if you have Telecom Italia service at home, they double the amount of data you get under these plans?)

I'm wondering if nano SIMs would cost extra above the plan price.

Or alternatively, I have a couple of standard TIM SIMs with some credit left. I know there are ways to cut them but would they swap them and transfer the credit?

Has anyone tried getting a nano SIM from TIM?

My plan would also be to use the Hotspot mode, which some members here have reported TIM allows with their prepaid SIMs, I believe.
I got a nano SIM from one of the TIM stores in Rome back in May. What happened was I got a regular SIM pack from them that had all the information on it (#, PIN,etc.), but they handed a separate nano SIM that was the actual SIM to use. No different data plan or pricing. Very easy, and I LOVED having the ability to connect anywhere, anytime, and used the Mini as my GPS also while driving.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:58 am

I never tried at FLR but they do have shops.

But as soon as you get into town, you'll see shops all over. For instance, I took the bus to the train station from the airport and there were plenty of shops.

Of course for Italian SIMs, you need a codice fiscale. I think they'll just copy down your passport number.
Codice Fiscale generator:

http://zip-codes.nonsolocap.it/codice-fiscale/
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Question on Italian SIM cards. Does anyone know of a pre-paid SIM card in Italy that allows re-charging on the internet, from abroad, without an Italian CC or bank account?

Context/Background

We go to Italy a couple of times per year. Generally, we buy/refresh a SIM with Vodafone but there is always some overhead associated and it is a bit of a hassle.

Last month, I got a TMO US SIM (postpaid) with one of their simple plans and used the limited speed data/phone. It worked well for that trip as we were in Italy but also Chile so I didn't have to hassle with local SIMs in both places. However, I don't like TMO's coverage in the US enough to switch (from ATT) so turning on/off TMO for intermittent trips abroad doesn't seem attractive.

Perfect world would be an Italian carrier that sells pre-paid, can go dormant for a period of time and allows re-charge on web from abroad. Primary use would be data but small voice/text allotment would be nice too.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Nope, the Italian banks they use for fulfillment of web transactions will not take US credit cards.

I think it might be possible to send a text if you have a recharge scratch card but you pay for roaming texts.

Or you could try this service. I haven't but it's cheaper than going to Italy before your SIM expires:

http://www.rechargemysim.de
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Nope, the Italian banks they use for fulfillment of web transactions will not take US credit cards.

I think it might be possible to send a text if you have a recharge scratch card but you pay for roaming texts.

Or you could try this service. I haven't but it's cheaper than going to Italy before your SIM expires:

Thanks, I may try it in the future. It is a shame that the banks they use don't allow foreign ricarica. When the EU opens up the roaming market in July, hopefully data will be part of the deal.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot

Just tried this to reload a Vodafone IT SIM. Will post back if/when the credit appears on my account. I'll be in Europe at the end of the month so will also report back on how it all worked out.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Just tried this to reload a Vodafone IT SIM. Will post back if/when the credit appears on my account. I'll be in Europe at the end of the month so will also report back on how it all worked out.
Just received a text confirming my 25 euro recharge.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JMN57
When the EU opens up the roaming market in July, hopefully data will be part of the deal.
I think I've read that data will be excluded, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.