Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Here's what they told me:

Further to your email, please be informed that the Toggle UK Data Bundle offer is applicable only for surfing internet in UK.

In regards to your query, we would like to inform you that toggle mobile is a pre-activated roaming SIM card and we do support our roaming in Germany.

Tariff details for using the SIM in Germany without the local number is given below for your perusal,

Incoming calls and SMS - Free
Outgoing calls to UK landline & Mobile: £0.28/min
Outgoing calls to Germany landline & Mobile: £0.28/min
Outgoing SMS: £0.08 (one text includes 160 Characters)
Data: £0.67/MB
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
also

Originally Posted by redburgundy

Further to your email, please be informed that the Toggle UK Data Bundle offer is applicable only for surfing internet in UK.

In regards to your query, we would like to inform you that toggle mobile is a pre-activated roaming SIM card and we do support our roaming in Germany.

Tariff details for using the SIM in Germany without the local number is given below for your perusal,

also, while there don't seem to be local country "data packages", if one has a local number, then the data price is only .15p/mb, so less than 1/4 the regular price. still too much for a lot of surfing though.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by redburgundy

They say pre-activated, however I couldn't use data at all while I was in Austria. Had no problem placing and receiving calls.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
They say pre-activated, however I couldn't use data at all while I was in Austria. Had no problem placing and receiving calls.
Did you configure the APN?

APN: data.lycamobile.co.uk
Username: lmuk
Password: plus
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
Did you configure the APN?

APN: data.lycamobile.co.uk
Username: lmuk
Password: plus
Yes, I have tried that also with no luck. But the card should of been pre-activated ;-)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Yes, I have tried that also with no luck. But the card should of been pre-activated ;-)
Ah. Odd. I just came back from a long weekend in CH and flew via DE and had no issues with the internet, calling, or anything. Before I left I activated the following virtual numbers - PL, DE and CH online. Since CH roaming on my PL mobile is damn expensive, I did automatic call forwarding from my PL mobile to my PL toggle virtual number. Then I looked at callcentric and saw that calling to DE mobiles is cheap, so I got a free USA number and had my google voice number forward to the callcentric number which forwarded to my DE toggle virtual number. A bit all complicated but basically looked like this:

PL mobile -> PL toggle virtual number
GV -> callcentric -> DE toggle virtual number
and finally that CH toggle virtual number for local rates in CH.

I added the APN info and had no issues with the internet on my Galaxy S3 in PL, DE, and CH. Internet was fast and without cutting out at all.

At the end of the trip, I used some 4GBP for all the calling and data for about a week in CH (though I didn't keep data on at all times - I had plenty of wifi access)
Since my PL mobile is unlimited calling I had free incoming in CH (compared to some 1USD/min with my PL provider) and quite cheap outgoing and some 0.06USD/min from the USA.

Now if just toggle adds a USA virtual number, I just might start using it daily.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:38 pm

keepgo service

has anyone here had experience with keepgo sim data service? planning a trip with my wife to paris also going to visit brussels,zurich and amsterdam so i thought maybe this would be an easy alternative thanks for any info. i just need data service so i can use groove ip to make calls and skype etc so if you know of any better alternatives please leave feedback.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Keepgo (formerly iphonetrip) no longer has nearly as good a deal for AT&T phones as previous, at least not for locked phones. Which brings up the question- is my jailbroken iPhone5 "locked" as far as a sim is concerned?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
International pre-paid SIM for Dummies

Hi all, hoping to get some help if possible.

Am traveling to Holland and Germany for a week later this month. I have read so much about getting a local phone with local SIM that's pre-paid on this forum and others, but I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered...

I'm going for a week, but do plan to want to use a phone - i am meeting several groups of friends and colleagues in AMS, DUS and others (some local to both AMS and DUS, some red-blooded Americans like myself) and I assume there will be some cell phone usage to communicate amongst ourselves...

I view my options as this: add an international plan to my current AT&T Iphone. a call this afternoon to AT&T gave me several options - 40 texts for $10, 200 texts for $30; 500 texts for $60....15 min of talk time for $10; 30 min for $25; so on and so forth, then charged at $2.75/min after what I buy; lastly, $60 for 300 MB of data, $120 for 1GB

Obviously my choices would be based on how much usage I'm anticipating. I would hope to be able to use WIFI-based services most of the time, keeping my need for the above services at a minimum and I can then purchase the packages on the smaller end of what's offered by AT&T.

If I were to go the local pre-paid route - about what kind of costs would I be looking for, for similar services...some voice, some text, some data perhaps (although I could probably live without the data - just use the local phone to text/call and use my iphone to connect when in a WIFI enabled location)

Anyhow, I've never done this - what would you do in my situation? And were you in my situation, where do I go to get the phone? At the airport? I know that probably seems like a stupid question but I'm honestly not sure where I'd go to get the pre-paid phone...is it something I can buy ahead of time online? I'm guessing not.

Hope this makes some sense...
Thanks!
Plinko
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:46 am

data

Originally Posted by plinko83
Hi all, hoping to get some help if possible.

Am traveling to Holland and Germany for a week later this month. I have read so much about getting a local phone with local SIM that's pre-paid on this forum and others, but I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered...

I'm going for a week, but do plan to want to use a phone - i am meeting several groups of friends and colleagues in AMS, DUS and others (some local to both AMS and DUS, some red-blooded Americans like myself) and I assume there will be some cell phone usage to communicate amongst ourselves...

I view my options as this: add an international plan to my current AT&T Iphone. a call this afternoon to AT&T gave me several options - 40 texts for $10, 200 texts for $30; 500 texts for $60....15 min of talk time for $10; 30 min for $25; so on and so forth, then charged at $2.75/min after what I buy; lastly, $60 for 300 MB of data, $120 for 1GB

Obviously my choices would be based on how much usage I'm anticipating. I would hope to be able to use WIFI-based services most of the time, keeping my need for the above services at a minimum and I can then purchase the packages on the smaller end of what's offered by AT&T.

If I were to go the local pre-paid route - about what kind of costs would I be looking for, for similar services...some voice, some text, some data perhaps (although I could probably live without the data - just use the local phone to text/call and use my iphone to connect when in a WIFI enabled location)

Anyhow, I've never done this - what would you do in my situation? And were you in my situation, where do I go to get the phone? At the airport? I know that probably seems like a stupid question but I'm honestly not sure where I'd go to get the pre-paid phone...is it something I can buy ahead of time online? I'm guessing not.

Hope this makes some sense...
Thanks!
Plinko

If you want easyish, go with ATT and get data, use skype and some sort of free service for texting, like pinger, textfree or googlevoice (best free sms, since they have no ADS)

then, use wifi and skype for calling, and get their 2.99$ a month unlimited domestic calling plan. You can even buy a number if you like.

then, forward your current number to your google voice, but you won't get CALLS, but you will get texts and notifications of calls.

I managed to do this and used data for things like google maps, email, facebook, stock tracking etc., for two weeks in Peru and only actually used 120MB of data.

If you KNOW you'll use a lot the 1GB plan is cheapest, but the others like 120MB for 30$, just scale up the same if you use more, another 120MB is another 30$.. the 300MB for only 60$ gets you a nice bonus..
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
If you want easyish, go with ATT and get data, use skype and some sort of free service for texting, like pinger, textfree or googlevoice (best free sms, since they have no ADS)

then, use wifi and skype for calling, and get their 2.99$ a month unlimited domestic calling plan. You can even buy a number if you like.

then, forward your current number to your google voice, but you won't get CALLS, but you will get texts and notifications of calls.

I managed to do this and used data for things like google maps, email, facebook, stock tracking etc., for two weeks in Peru and only actually used 120MB of data.

If you KNOW you'll use a lot the 1GB plan is cheapest, but the others like 120MB for 30$, just scale up the same if you use more, another 120MB is another 30$.. the 300MB for only 60$ gets you a nice bonus..
will this plan work all over europe? if i wanted to get att 1gb plan for overseas travel
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:26 pm

yes

Originally Posted by Qasimja
will this plan work all over europe? if i wanted to get att 1gb plan for overseas travel

yes, the ATT international data package applies to a whole outside the USA.. there MIGHT be some corner pocket countries like Uganda or one of the '''Stans where it doesn't apply..

although, here are the actual locations.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...lobalcountries
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
yes, the ATT international data package applies to a whole outside the USA.. there MIGHT be some corner pocket countries like Uganda or one of the '''Stans where it doesn't apply..

although, here are the actual locations.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...lobalcountries
thanks i'll definitely do some research on this
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:45 pm

does anyone have experience with OneSimCard?

http://www.onesimcard.com/

the reviews are mixed.... they have pretty good rates, but I'm wondering if it's too good to be true? There's gotta be a catch, right?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer

http://www.onesimcard.com/

the reviews are mixed.... they have pretty good rates, but I'm wondering if it's too good to be true? There's gotta be a catch, right?
Main catch is that the number you get is an Estonian # and it can be quite expensive for people to call that number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.