FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   "Operating System Not Found" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1446017-operating-system-not-found.html)

Braniff Mar 8, 2013 9:10 am

"Operating System Not Found"

I just opened my VAIO laptop and got this message. It was working fine before my departure. Can anyone please help me with what to do next... Many thanks in advance.

gfunkdave Mar 8, 2013 9:19 am

Sounds like hard drive failure to me, or at best a corrupt boot loader.

Put your Windows CD in and see if it can repair things. If not, boot into Linux from a USB drive, plug in a USB hard drive, and copy your files off if you can.

cordelli Mar 8, 2013 10:01 am

Go into setup if you can and see if detects a hard drive or not. If it does, then something is probably corrupt on the disk. If it does not, then something is likely wrong with the hardware.

That's very general and just a first step, neither is 100% but most of the time it is.

ScottC Mar 8, 2013 11:44 am

This error comes from the bios, so it happens even before the OS loads - and usually means a dead drive, a missing drive or a combination of the above. If you have a spinning drive (ie. not an SSD), can you hear the drive spin up?

As others mentioned, check the bios (I think on Vaio's, this means holding F2 down). Check there to see if your drive is still listed. If it is, it could be a damaged drive or some other corruption.

elCheapoDeluxe Mar 8, 2013 12:50 pm

If you are really really lucky, the drive wasn't anchored in place due to a missing screw, broken bracket, etc, and the drive just slipped out of it's connector on the motherboard. But more likely if everything is still sealed up tight that you've got a drive failure. Sorry.

djk7 Mar 8, 2013 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe (Post 20385159)
If you are really really lucky, the drive wasn't anchored in place due to a missing screw, broken bracket, etc, and the drive just slipped out of it's connector on the motherboard. But more likely if everything is still sealed up tight that you've got a drive failure. Sorry.

Never hurts to try pulling and reseating it.

Braniff Mar 8, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you all for your help. I've tried everything you've suggested - at least the things I know how to do. I am going to leave the computer with my hotel's business center (I'm travelling in the Middle East) and ask them to see what they can do. Otherwise, it's off to mall to buy another one. Again, thank you.

Flahusky Mar 8, 2013 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 20385357)
Thank you all for your help. I've tried everything you've suggested - at least the things I know how to do. I am going to leave the computer with my hotel's business center (I'm travelling in the Middle East) and ask them to see what they can do. Otherwise, it's off to mall to buy another one. Again, thank you.

Not to be 'that guy' but...
Middle East is a bit vague, but once left at the hotels business center you should assume your personal data is compromised and identity fraud is in motion. I'd just get a cheap laptop to finish the trip out and deal with the dead one once home with people I could trust.

Braniff Mar 8, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flahusky (Post 20385733)
Not to be 'that guy' but...
Middle East is a bit vague, but once left at the hotels business center you should assume your personal data is compromised and identity fraud is in motion. I'd just get a cheap laptop to finish the trip out and deal with the dead one once home with people I could trust.

Abu Dhabi in a very reputable hotel. But I take your point. Thanks.

Letitride3c Mar 8, 2013 9:46 pm

From the Sony Viao support docs - the following "generic" steps are outlined ...
Remove any added/external hardware and all removable media (+ disable all network access) ****
Reset computer BIOS to the default values.
After resetting BIOS, ensure the Hard Disk Drive is detected in the BIOS.
If HDD is not detected in BIOS then a hardware failure has occurred and HDD may need to be replaced.
If HDD is detected in BIOS but OS will not load, access recovery tools using the Assist button or F10 and do a Data Backup (if possible).

NOTE: Perform a Full System Recovery by accessing the hidden partition. If the hidden partition cannot be accessed (Viao Recovery Wizard,) the Recovery Media Kit. will be required.

**** Pull the laptop battery and disconnect AC source after fully powering off (not sleep mode/quick resume) - wait 10 to 15 minutes, then reconnect and see if you can boot into Bios setup (F3 or F2 at initial Sony screen, then F1 quickly) While you are waiting, as others suggested, pull & re-install the HDD if you have the philips screwdriver.

Good luck & most likely, time to consider shopping for a new replacement HDD.

Loren Pechtel Mar 8, 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 20385357)

A drive replacement is a lot cheaper than buying a new machine.