Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SSD vs HDD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
only 1000 cycles? at that rate, the SSD won't last more than 18 months based on the way I use it. (hard drive is completely restored from a fresh copy on a daily basis)
In that case avoid the SSDs with TLC flash memory. The current mainstream MLC flash have triple the endurance. Enterprise or industrial SSD with SLC cells are much better and much more expensive.

I don't know why you need to restore the disk every day, but there are ways to maintain system integrity without needing a full restore. Look into Windows Steady State or other similar products.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
I added a 240gb OCZ to my 3 year old Compaq, and its a night and day difference.

When I thought I might upgrade to better laptop, decided to give the SSD a try, and glad I did. Will get another 2-4 years out of this laptop easily.

(I am an IT guy, so know this tech, as well as take very good care of my electronics)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
My company's IT department ordered me a new Lenovo around Christmas. When the engineer called me to ask what kind of software I wanted installed before he shipped it to me, I inquired if it had a SSD. His response was no, but he'd put one in that was laying around his office.

When I got it they had installed a 128GB SSD as the primary drive, and left the 500GB HDD as the secondary*. This has turned out to be annoying, as the operating programs are sucking up about 75% of the SSD. I could not magically move lessor importance operating programs to the secondary (D:\) without reinstalling them.

Last week I downloaded Corel PaintShop Pro X5 ($15!) and had no choice but to install it on the SSD. Uncompressed it was almost 1GB in size. I recognize it's the type of program that benefits from speed, but as I will use it rarely, would have preferred it on the HDD. I have a high end i7 processor, plenty of RAM, and the HDD is a pretty fast Toshiba.

Moral to all this exposition is overbuy on your SSD size, or you will find yourself with a full drive quickly.

*BTW, I'm only using 88GB on the secondary, mostly with archived folders
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:23 am

I have a thinkpad with a 128gb SSD and 500gb HDD. Windows 7 and all of my programs fit comfortably on the SSD, with plenty of room to spare.

Do you have that many large programs? Are the lenovo recovery partitions on the SSD? Are you sure there are no large data files on the SSD?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
Do you have that many large programs? I didn't think so. Large ones would be: MS Office Pro, Vizio, Acrobat Standard, Corel

Are the lenovo recovery partitions on the SSD? Sorry but I can't really tell, but would presume so. It established as drive "Q", and is using 12GB. My installed backup program is set so it writes to the HDD.

Are you sure there are no large data files on the SSD? Outlook would be the only thing large. Not sure how Outlook compresses the data files, but in the program itself it says my folders are about 11GB.

Thanks for your comments,

Craig
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Craig6z
My company's IT department ordered me a new Lenovo around Christmas. When the engineer called me to ask what kind of software I wanted installed before he shipped it to me, I inquired if it had a SSD. His response was no, but he'd put one in that was laying around his office.

When I got it they had installed a 128GB SSD as the primary drive, and left the 500GB HDD as the secondary*. This has turned out to be annoying, as the operating programs are sucking up about 75% of the SSD. I could not magically move lessor importance operating programs to the secondary (D:\) without reinstalling them.

Last week I downloaded Corel PaintShop Pro X5 ($15!) and had no choice but to install it on the SSD. Uncompressed it was almost 1GB in size. I recognize it's the type of program that benefits from speed, but as I will use it rarely, would have preferred it on the HDD. I have a high end i7 processor, plenty of RAM, and the HDD is a pretty fast Toshiba.

Moral to all this exposition is overbuy on your SSD size, or you will find yourself with a full drive quickly.

*BTW, I'm only using 88GB on the secondary, mostly with archived folders
Yup--I found my 256gb drive was getting cramped. (Admittedly losing almost 20% of that to the page and hibernation files was part of the problem.) I wasn't planning on putting a SSD in my laptop but I ended up getting a 512gb for this box and the 256 in my laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.