Search

The BlackBerry aficionado thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:07 pm
Ory
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
The BlackBerry aficionado thread

Blackberry aficionados here, make yourselves known in this thread. What model 'berry do you use and abuse? PMing or posting your pin optional. Why do you still use Blackberry over Android, iOS and Win Mobile?

I'm using the 83xx series, some 5+ years after its release.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll just edit the thread title to be a little more descriptive.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I recently moved my main phone from a BB Curve to an iPhone 5. Whilst really cool, I miss the ability to easily type and the very familiar user interface.

I had the choice of another iPhone 5 or a 9900 for my new work phone - I went with the 9900.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Ory
Blackberry aficionados here, make yourselves known in this thread. What model 'berry do you use and abuse? PMing or posting your pin optional. Why do you still use Blackberry over Android, iOS and Win Mobile?

I'm using the 83xx series, some 5+ years after its release.
9700 and the fact that it does email so well, on a great keyboard with huge battery life, combined with the excellent BBM was a major factor. The other is that it is so cheap to run at just Ł3.33/month. I only use it for messaging though I have another phone for calls.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I'm on my final BB - the 9930 model and I only have it for BBM. A few months back, I thought BBs were best things ever - now, it looks like a relic.

I don't miss that it takes at least a couple minutes to pull up my boarding pass and I have to keep tapping the screen so it stays on.

I don't miss risking a car accident because I'm trying to entire update location on the GPS system.

I miss the battery life and keyboard, but don't miss the tiny screen.

Ok ok, wrong thread.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I had the 1st gen Bold for years but left it in a taxi about 6 months ago. It was great size (not too big), had incredible battery life.

Since then, I got the 9900 and actually prefer my old Bold. The screen is a bit larger and touchscreen, although I think the touchscreen is useless for that size of screen. The larger keyboard is a welcome addition but get slightly worse battery life (I get about 3 days before recharging).

However, as a business tool, I think there is no equal. (I say that because, for my wife, I change her Android phone every 6-8 months and instantly put on the latest and great custom ROMs to try out.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: United MP
Two members of my family still use 8520s. I'm interested in the new ones when my iPhone contract runs out this fall.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 pm

I have/had a work 9900 until this past weekend when I left it in a taxi...

Nice phone and good battery life is a big bonus.

Wanted to try the new Q10 but going to have to get a replacement soon
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:14 pm
Ory
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by badjuju
I'm on my final BB - the 9930 model and I only have it for BBM. A few months back, I thought BBs were best things ever - now, it looks like a relic.

I don't miss that it takes at least a couple minutes to pull up my boarding pass and I have to keep tapping the screen so it stays on.

I don't miss risking a car accident because I'm trying to entire update location on the GPS system.

I miss the battery life and keyboard, but don't miss the tiny screen.

Ok ok, wrong thread.
That's the best qwerty model out there. That bad eh?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I begrudgingly accepted a Bold 9000 as a replacement for a three-time replaced HTC TyTN II running Windows Mobile 6. I was flabbergasted how much better a device the BlackBerry was. I was hooked. After that I got a 9700. Then a 9800 which I returned - just didn't like the slider and preferred my keyboard to always be at the ready. I tried an Atrix which I sold and went back to BlackBerry with the 9930. Again tried Android (lured by apps) with a DROID 4 and again returned to BlackBerry with ANOTHER 9930 (had given the first to my business partner who was still using my 9000).

I like my keyboard to be there, always at the ready, and usable easily one handed. My main usages are email (heavy, technical, specific, and sometimes long), texting, facebook messenger, and google chat. Keyboard is king. Can't wait for the Q10. Right now the only things I miss are a better Google Voice client and the United app. I know the latter will be side-loaded on my Q10 immediately. Until then, I have a Nexus 7 which can be tethered via my BlackBerry when I need it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Tried the 9900 and went back to my now 7 yrs old 8830. Waiting for the Q10.

It is all about the physical qwerty keyboard when your messages of all type need to be clear, concise, no misunderstanding and not always read by recipients who's mother tongue is English.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Looking for a new phone and have visited several phone stores in the past few days. Without exception, they all tried to steer me away from the Z10 towards Android. So, I'm not sure what's going on as BB insist that they have stocks in-store and that sales are good but it appears that they're not getting the word out.

Also, I've noticed that many of the ads appeared focused on kids still, whereas I thought that the Z10 was meant to be moving BB back towards business and away from the teens market. Puzzled.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA
9860. The worst phone I've ever owned. Both build and OS are very poor. Before this I was BB through and through. After this, I'll never come back unless Im forced to
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
9860. The worst phone I've ever owned. Both build and OS are very poor. Before this I was BB through and through. After this, I'll never come back unless Im forced to
Welcome to the BlackBerry Aficionados thread, BelfastFlyer!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Got the 9800 a few weeks after its release 2.5 years ago. Has been a great phone and have never had any problems with it.

Thought about trading in for the Z10 but too attached to my physical keyboard; waiting for the Q10 before making a decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.