Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can several people stay in touch on short trip to Paris and Bavaria?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can several people stay in touch on short trip to Paris and Bavaria?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Question How can several people stay in touch on short trip to Paris and Bavaria?

My daughter, granddaughter and I are going to Paris for 5 days, then train to Stuttgart, rental car through Bavarian Alps few days, then Munich. There will be four other friends on basically same itin. Here's what we have: The three of us have one Verizon account with several lines, one number is not being used. One iPhone 4, one Droid, one HTC Thunderbolt, none due for upgrade (plus when I upgrade next, I'll lose unlimited data). I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (cellular), and a MiFi, both 2+ years old and upgradable, and on one Verizon account together.. I would like to be at least able to communicate by text, don't care so much about voice. Would like to be able to use some apps, especially GPS, and maybe yelp, translator, etc.--stuff that might be useful when out and about. I do have a Garmin handheld, I think 60Csx (?), that is 5 or 6 years old, and I've never mastered it. I've gathered from the Sim card thread that cards won't be an option except for the iphone. Verizon is CDMS, so there is no option to "turn on" your account for international use in France and Germany, but Verizon now has a new way to unlock iPhones and other phones with Sim cards, and enable Sims to work abroad as I understand it. I think the other 4 travelers all have iPhones and plan on Sims. The Tab does not have a Sim card either. The guys at the Verizon store were pretty clueless.

We have trouble getting through Costco without texting. We could, of course, resort to the prehistoric method of arranging a time to meet under the clock or whatever, but is there a budget friendly way , say $150, to enable the three of us to stay in touch with each other and the other parties for about 10 days in two countries? I might consider higher cost if something left to show for it, for example buying myself an unlocked phone since I travel frequently. Could I get a MiFi that would work with the Tab or upgrade to another tablet that would allow texting? My coveted Asus 700 won't work since they're just wifi for now. (I'm waiting) Prepaid cells with international service? Rent or buy there? (But would have to buy/rent three phones in each country, right?)

Long and windy, sorry, but what would you do in this situation? "Nothing" is a viable option, lol. Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to Verizon's website, click on Global services, and check if your current phones can be used in France.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...ional-services

If your phones will work overseas, just call Verizon before you leave and enable international roaming.

Note that texts will be somewhere around $0.30-0.50 each (sent or received). Data will be billed at exorbitant rates. Google maps, translate, web browsing, and your phone's constant email checking will quickly run up your bill. I'd recommend turning off mobile data on your phone unless you're actively using it. Expect a bill that can easily run into the thousands of dollars otherwise. Verizon does have int'l data plans that you can tack on to your account for data allowance overseas that won't break the bank.

If you can get local SIMs for your phones, that will be the cheapest option. You'll get local French or German numbers, and you'll probably need to get a new SIM for each country you visit.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Feb 20, 2013 at 7:25 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
for that kind of money it may just be easier to pick up three really cheap unlocked phones on e-bay that can text and voice and get a SIM card for each when you arrive.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Not only that, but EU regulations have massively reduced the cost of texting and calling between countries - so it will be hugely cheaper just to have either unlocked phones with a local SIM card or cheap throw away phone with a local SIM card.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
3 cheap quadband phones with French sims.....

Download French + German maps on the Galaxy tab as your GPS and use the Tab on WiFi at McDonalds

and since you have iphone maybe download maps on that too.....

plus German and French Phrase books
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:25 am

For our recent trips overseas, we've used a local SIM in either a rented MiFi device (e.g. Japan) or an unlocked smartphone (e.g. Thailand) to provide WiFi access to our 5 smartphones. In the few cases where we needed to call out with voice, we used Skype, otherwise it was apps using data.

This minimizes the amount of setup/fiddling needed for our family.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:43 am

The catch is three prepaid SIMs in two countries. If they were going to Germany first, I know of some good deals for data roaming in France. I would then say use Whatsapp instead of a texting program. I think they are each better buying 125 megs of roaming data from Verizon for $30, and using Viber. Keep your calls brief and mostly text.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The catch is three prepaid SIMs in two countries. If they were going to Germany first, I know of some good deals for data roaming in France. I would then say use Whatsapp instead of a texting program. I think they are each better buying 125 megs of roaming data from Verizon for $30, and using Viber. Keep your calls brief and mostly text.
but are the Verizon phones they own going to work on Euro GSM ?

Texting each other seems to be what they want to do most.......
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:55 pm

I certainly should have repeated what the prior poster said about making sure that the phones were Euro compatible. Some Droids are; some aren't. A Verizon iPhone 4 is not European compatible; a 4s is.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
I'm certain my phone, the Thunderbolt, and Bre's phone, the iphone are not Europe compatible. I gave the iphone to my granddaughter a year ago for Christmas, so I'm sure not 4s. DStu's news disappointing as I'd hoped we could Europize that phone, purchase one more unlocked and be good to go with two phones. But then I'm pretty sure we can safely use them for apps and wifi where available without worrying about data roaming? Although years ago my phone rang in a cafe in Rio after I was assured it wouldn't work down there, and one of my contacts appeared on caller ID. Fortunately, no charges. I know enough to enable airplane mode and switch on wifi, but I worry about the 18 year old whose phone has achieved status as an organ transplant.

Also, scratch the Droid. Rumor has it that my daughter now has a Samsung s2. Who knew? So, now that we've dug out from nature's latest treat (hey, who's complaining, we NEED that moisture, just don't let my roof give under the weight), I'm calling Verizon global. Couldn't get anywhere on Verizon website, but my former spouse is one of the other travelers, and he's kindly provided the number where he got his arranged. Thanks to all for info provided thus far. I'll report what I learn, if anything
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:22 pm

Phonescoop.com is a good source for phone specs.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just click Global Services on Verizon's website. It will ask you what countries you're going to, what phone you're bringing, and for how long, then will tell you if the phone will work in the given countries and recommend a data plan.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
If you are within the cities, Wifi should be somewhat available at cafes, shops, and other public outlets? I assume you don't need to stay in constant communication every few minutes? If you need to make contact in emergencies, you can just pay the $1-2 per minute Verizon charges.. Much less cost than the $150 you are willing to pay.

Look up tripadvisor's smartphone guide to Paris and Munich. I found the Paris version to be quite useful with pre-downloaded maps and point-you-there walking directions to most tourist sites I wanted to visit. (Not good for addresses). Google map will also let you pre-download a bunch of maps to your android device. The only disadvantage is that I can't seem to search for addresses or routes with the offline maps without data service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.