Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Share Internet With Across the Street Neighbor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Best Way to Share Internet With Across the Street Neighbor

My old boss now lives on Roosevelt Way in Point Roberts, Washington. Her across the street neighbors live in Tawwassen, British Columbia. House to house, they are about 80 feet apart.

She pays $120 for crappy 3 meg down internet that comes in by a fiber optics cable and is microwaved around the Peninsula. Across the street she can get 250 mbps down with a terabyte limit for the same money. She is willing to upgrade her neighbor's service in exchange for piggy back rights. Obviously trenching cable across an international border and a public road is a stupid idea.

Any other brilliant ideas?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A wifi link is about the only cheap-ish choice. Each house gets a high-gain antenna and points it to the other house's antenna. YOur boss connects the antenna to her router and gets an IP address on her neighbors' LAN. There's a somewhat active hobbyist community in the art of nontraditional wifi like this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Feb 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Is your boss sure there isn't an alternative internet service available through a cable tv company or something?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

She says so. I haven't researched it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
A wifi link is about the only cheap-ish choice. Each house gets a high-gain antenna and points it to the other house's antenna. YOur boss connects the antenna to her router and gets an IP address on her neighbors' LAN. There's a somewhat active hobbyist community in the art of nontraditional wifi like this.
Yup. Get it above the road if feasible so trucks don't interfere. 80 feet doesn't take anything fancy in the antenna department. IIRC around here someone set one up over something around 80 miles (not as a serious connection, a can-we-do-it type of thing.) Of course that involved dishes bigger than the people doing it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Across the street like line of sight? They would probably just need a decent wireless router in the neighbors place and the signal may reach, if not set up a wifi router in repeater mode in her window.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have had a similar situation and about 400 feet of distance to travel.

Here's how I did it; it worked great:

Source:
Modem --> Router ---> Access Point (set up as repeater parent) --> Cantenna aimed at destination house

Destination:
Identical access point set up as child repeater with a hi-gain antenna attached to propagate the signal in the destination house.

It really worked amazingly well. And it was with old Netgear WG102 access points that can be had cheap (although I don't know if they can do modern security)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do it right - get metal antenna posts on the outside of the house (ground them!!) and use outdoor directional antennas like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B59J8I...BN4J8HA3V415Q&

If she's not satisfied with 3Mbps now, you'll need a very reliable wifi link to get speeds that will satisfy her - use routers with DD-WRT and boost the power. 80 feet isn't a terribly far distance, but WiFi speeds drop quickly as the distance increases. Do a site survey on your phone to find open channels, and if necessary, link using something that won't have much interference (like 802.11a). Don't bother with 802.11n on 5MHz, the range on that is usually quite dismal.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by ScottC
Do a site survey on your phone to find open channels, and if necessary, link using something that won't have much interference (like 802.11a). Don't bother with 802.11n on 5MHz, the range on that is usually quite dismal.
I think you are better off just finding the open channels on 802.11b/g . 802.11a is 5.4Ghz and for distance you want a lower frequency as in b/g's 2.4Ghz plus the fact that b/g is faster anyway. And it sounds like they are in a neighborhood so the wifi shouldn't be too crowded anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Check out these links for some interesting ideas:

http://www.diywireless.net/

http://www.gnswireless.com/bridgekits.htm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Just get two Dark Knights. http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus...5110985-2.html "100 feet for the range test, still with a 450Mbps client, the router managed to maintain a high throughput of about 155Mbps

I also tested the RT-N66U with regular 2x2 (ps) clients and on the 5GHz band and it scored an impressive 110Mbps and 98Mbps for close and long distances, respectively."

Also you can crank the power of the router through the roof. Here is someone doing this: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...6&postcount=91
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
10 replies and no-one has mentioned a simple wireless bridge. Simply procure a wireless bridge for the client side and connect your switch and/or access point (or both) on the other side of the bridge. That's a nice simple setup that will work very well.

At 2.4GHz, you'll have a range of well over 100m. 5GHz not so much...the wavelength just doesn't travel as far (especially thru obstructions tree leaves/walls).

Hardware isn't a big issue, and if it is, simply re-flash any general retail device with free firmware from dd-wrt (google it)

Last edited by HDQDD; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HDQDD
10 replies and no-one has mentioned a simple wireless bridge.

Hardware isn't a big issue, and if it is, simply re-flash any general retail device with free firmware from dd-wrt (google it)
Actually, a few posts above...

Originally Posted by ScottC
you'll need a very reliable wifi link to get speeds that will satisfy her - use routers with DD-WRT and boost the power. 80 feet isn't a terribly far distance, but WiFi speeds drop quickly as the distance increases.
I'm thinking the former boss would want something a little more reliable than two inexpensive routers with home-cooked firmware.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm thinking the former boss would want something a little more reliable than two inexpensive routers with home-cooked firmware.
Let's not confuse advanced routing features with the simple need for:
1. Something that works for the specific case of using an access point to bridge two networks. Most consumer router firmware is complete garbage. Even the best ones seem to have the bridging feature as an afterthought. The fringe element who uses DD-WRT is often specifically looking for these fringe features.
2. The ability to set broadcast power above the power allowed by the FCC will generally only be found on non-commercial firmware for obvious reasons.
3. An overpowered radio amplifier is an accident and generally not purposefully designed into consumer routers. You just luck into them and benefit from the fringe element's research.

My concern here is that the boss may not have the technical expertise to get some of the more complicated setups working. For some reason, I've always had to spend hours trying to get this wireless network bridging working.

Last edited by lensman; Feb 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A google map search shows some of the houses have trees on the property. Seriously, if there are trees on both sides of the street I would slingshot a line up in the trees across the street and just pull a network cable. Maybe put some christmas lights on it so if anybody sees it they won't pay much attention to it.

We are talking about a distance of about 27 yards. Almost any solution will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.