Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone using an Acer C7 Chromebook?

Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

I've never been keen on Chromebooks. They're less than idea travel companions IMHO. However, Google Play (UK) are selling the C7 at well below my curiosity threshold (i.e. the point at which I'd buy something "just because"). Is the device any good, as Chromebooks go?

I do use Google BTW (apps occasionally, Chrome as my main browser, email, calendar, to do list and so on) but all those work well on every device I own.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I'd get the Samsung Series 3 - 16GB SSD (you really don't need the 320GB in the C7). Samsung is also available with 3G, but I'm not sure that applies in the UK since the US one has EVDO for its 3G.

In the US, the Series 3 sells for $249 - but has been out of stock almost everywhere for months. Chrome OS is much more advanced than it was when the CR-47 came out. I now carry a Chromebook more than my Windows 8 machine.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ScottC
Personally I'd get the Samsung Series 3 - 16GB SSD (you really don't need the 320GB in the C7). Samsung is also available with 3G, but I'm not sure that applies in the UK since the US one has EVDO for its 3G.

In the US, the Series 3 sells for $249 - but has been out of stock almost everywhere for months. Chrome OS is much more advanced than it was when the CR-47 came out. I now carry a Chromebook more than my Windows 8 machine.
Some good considerations there. I'd rather not have spinning platter storage in a device like this. As for a built in SIM card, this is convenient but I'm edging towards a MiFi type solution that would support multiple devices. Three UK have some pretty good pre paid deals in this area at the moment.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by ScottC

Keep in mind it is available on ebay for ~$300, which is only a ~$20 premium over the Google play store after you factor in tax and shipping.

I still use my CR-48 daily.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:20 am

The Samsung model is the best, by all accounts. I bought my mother the Samsung Series 3 - back when it was in stock and only $249:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B009LL9VDG

To be frank, even at the $330 that whatever profiteering third-party is selling it for, it's still not an awful buy. Sadly I can't really comment on the Acer C7, though I doubt it's much worse.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I absolutely love my Samsung 11.6/3G model. In the US, you get limited verizon 3G for free (100 Mb a month which actually is plenty for the occasional times when there's no WiFi), and the form factor is fantastic - "feels" lighter than a MacBook air.

As for being out of stock at the MSP, I ordered mine in November and ended up getting it a few weeks later; it said 'out of stock' but they do get more and ship them.

I put apache/php/mysql on mine which means I get all the ChromeOS goodies as well as a complete linux dev environment.

http://solvitor.com/2013/01/02/lamp-...rm-chromebook/
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:36 am

Acer C7 great machine!

I have been using the acer c7 for over a month and think it is great! It does all I need it to do and more. I hooked it to my tv via hdmi cable and can watch movies on my charter account.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW; the Chromebook is back in stock at Amazon (first time in months):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LL9VDG...3N5W4231GY0DN&
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the heads up ScottC! On your reccomendation I went ahead and bought one of these Only 5 left in stock now
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Already gone again!

I just received mine, purchased at a premium from ebay. What a great device, well worth it even marked up to $300.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

The Amazon UK Chromebook store is looking pretty healthy at the moment. And the latest, Arm based Samsung is only 30 more than the Acer. Tempted tempted (especially as I've I've found the MiFi and Three UK's network and coverage to be excellent)......

Last edited by Internaut; Jan 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I did get a chromebook today after looking for months. Seems like it will do everything I want except work on SD cards > 32GB, and encrypted external storage. It will be interesting to see how the unit works out.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:34 am

Black Screen?

Ia there a workaround for Black screen on the Samsung Series three? I did not get the fair trade warranty via amazon and I have heard some not so great things about Samsung customer service.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Ia there a workaround for Black screen on the Samsung Series three? I did not get the fair trade warranty via amazon and I have heard some not so great things about Samsung customer service.

Did you buy a used one on Amazon? Otherwise, just do an exchange - pretty sure they'll swap it out within 30.

Have you tried the Chromebook recovery process?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:22 am

Amazon Prime Videos on Chromebook?

The Samsung Chromebook Recovery program worked just fine Thanks ScottC

Now I am having trouble getting Amazon Prime Vid's to play on the Chromebook. Any Ideas? I did post a query on the Amazon product page-so far no answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.