FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards in USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1427805-consolidated-prepaid-sim-cards-usa.html)

pseudoswede Oct 1, 2013 9:15 am

There are rumors that T-Mobile and Target are partnering to offer a pre-paid plan through Target stores. $50/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1GB of LTE data.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/10/new-l...repaid-tie-up/

chanp Oct 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Has anyone used a pre paid plan with a Iphone 5S? I was thinking about getting a Airvoice sim, and cutting it down to a nano size and using it for family visiting from abroad. Thinking about Brightspot as well. Thoughts?

Letitride3c Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 21673596)
Thinking about Brightspot as well. Thoughts?

Good luck to Target shareholders on corporate efforts to launch their own branded prepaid plan over T-Mo's HSPA+/4G network, launched officailly earlier this month known as "Brightspot"

The lowest plan is $35/mo with unlimited calling & text, data is added on extra - great for those who talk & do SMS, not for broadband access. In big cities like NY, T-Mo's network around our house is actually faster than VZW/big red's 4G LTE. Using Brightspot will cost as much as T-Mo's regular Un-carrier plan with bring you own device plan, differences are subtle & in the fine prints. Walmart's Straight Talk plan is cheaper, perhaps - difference is $5 a month or so.

AT&T's prepaid, Gophone with its 4G LTE network is supposed to be better & preferred, and cost a bit more @ $60/mo. - month to month also, no contract & no credit check.

Most of the prepaid plan, if not all, does not roam outside of the US, not even in Mexico or Canada (my old Gophone/AT&T prepaid does, however until I dropped it 2 years ago) - thus, all calls going to the phone #'s with prepaid will go to voicemail & not forwarded as roaming call, and, you can't call from the Caribbeans (except in places like St. Thomas, USVI) using these plans.

I've been on VZW's CDMA network for the longest time (17 years continuously) but now that 2 of the lines are going to be off contract in less than a month, I've been re-thinking about options & might just bail out & port the numbers over to GSM carrier, still debating AT&T vs. T-Mo, postpaid vs. prepaid. Our last 2 Android upgrades costs were minimal but now that Big Red will not waive upgrade/activation fees & continue to shrink the subsidies for their better devices on both the Android & iOS platforms, thinking seriously about the ease & popularity of GSM sim cards to almost all of the places we travel to & visit - it's going to save us $$$ especially when I have full access to Fios networks at the offices and at home.

LAXlocal Nov 8, 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 21673596)
Has anyone used a pre paid plan with a Iphone 5S? I was thinking about getting a Airvoice sim, and cutting it down to a nano size and using it for family visiting from abroad. Thinking about Brightspot as well. Thoughts?

Anyone using AirVoice ?

how is the speed compared to regular AT+T service , is it full speed or ????

how do they calculate data ?

anything else to look at ?

AT+Ts signal is good around here and AirVoice $10 plan would work for me :)

chanp Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Used the T-Mobile $30 mo plan includes unlimited data* text and 100 mins. It only runs 2G. Need to find something with faster 3g or possibly a cheap 4G option in the USA for a visiting relative. iPhone 4s.

Bugaboos Nov 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Re:T-mobile $30 plan

Wrong. If there is 3G or LTE available, the $30 pre-pay plan will use it. I'm on it many times a day with no problems. Of course your phone must be able to and set to use 3G or LTE, and your battery use will go up considerably on LTE. I normally have mine set to 3G and only if I need a large (> 50MB) download or upload will I switch it to LTE. Oh, and I "think" that Iphones are precluded from LTE, but that 3G should work- not sure since I use a Nesus 5 on android.

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 21836141)
Used the T-Mobile $30 mo plan includes unlimited data* text and 100 mins. It only runs 2G. Need to find something with faster 3g or possibly a cheap 4G option in the USA for a visiting relative. iPhone 4s.

chanp Nov 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bugaboos (Post 21840829)
Wrong. If there is 3G or LTE available, the $30 pre-pay plan will use it. I'm on it many times a day with no problems. Of course your phone must be able to and set to use 3G or LTE, and your battery use will go up considerably on LTE. I normally have mine set to 3G and only if I need a large (> 50MB) download or upload will I switch it to LTE. Oh, and I "think" that Iphones are precluded from LTE, but that 3G should work- not sure since I use a Nesus 5 on android.

Called T M, they said it would only allow 2g on this phone. The phone is a unlocked UK iPhone 4s. I looked at my local coverage on TM, shows 3g, but I'm getting .10mbps. Very slow. Thinking of PTel now, they are TM as well, but I think they allow the faster speeds? Same phone, so hope that the frequency works on 3 or 4g.

eyeballer Nov 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 21841555)
Called T M, they said it would only allow 2g on this phone. The phone is a unlocked UK iPhone 4s. I looked at my local coverage on TM, shows 3g, but I'm getting .10mbps. Very slow. Thinking of PTel now, they are TM as well, but I think they allow the faster speeds? Same phone, so hope that the frequency works on 3 or 4g.

The $30 TMobile plan does allow 3g and LTE if the phone is compatible (FYI Ptel is 3g only, no LTE). The issue is that your phone doesn't support the 3g bands for TMobile in most areas (1700/2100). You can get 3g in TMobile areas that have been refarmed to 1900 but those are limited. You should look into one of the AT&T MVNOs. Straight talk, AIO, H2O, net10 are examples.

chanp Nov 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer (Post 21841563)
The $30 TMobile plan does allow 3g and LTE if the phone is compatible (FYI Ptel is 3g only, no LTE). The issue is that your phone doesn't support the 3g bands for TMobile in most areas (1700/2100). You can get 3g in TMobile areas that have been refarmed to 1900 but those are limited. You should look into one of the AT&T MVNOs. Straight talk, AIO, H2O, net10 are examples.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at one of ATTs MVNO's!

chistery Nov 24, 2013 9:06 am

Would I be better off using a nexus 4 (1700/2100) than a nexus 5 (2100) for t mobile in the US then, or would i not notice much difference?

eyeballer Nov 24, 2013 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 21844452)
Would I be better off using a nexus 4 (1700/2100) than a nexus 5 (2100) for t mobile in the US then, or would i not notice much difference?

The Nexus 4 will support TMobile 3g but has no LTE (officially anyway). The Nexus 5 has 2 variants for North America and "rest of the world." They both support TMobile 3g bands equally, but only the NA version has the correct LTE bands for TMobile - so if you have a European N5 you'll only get 3g.

TL;DR: it shouldn't be any different because you will only have 3g either way

chistery Dec 3, 2013 2:15 am

UK people can now pick up a Three PAYG SIM at home, and use the allowance in the USA. So for £15, you get unlimited data when roaming in the US for a month. A bargain especially if you are already on Three. :D

Link

Amarone Dec 3, 2013 2:26 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 21892684)
UK people can now pick up a Three PAYG SIM at home, and use the allowance in the USA. So for £15, you get unlimited data when roaming in the US. A bargain especially if you are already on Three. :D

Link

Very interesting - many thanks for posting!

chistery Dec 3, 2013 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Amarone (Post 21892714)
Very interesting - many thanks for posting!

You're welcome. Edited slightly to add it's £15 for a month if on PAYG

typical Jan 10, 2014 12:33 pm

I can't find the $30 T-Mobile plan any more. Is it dead?

Any good alternatives for data and a bit of SMS?