Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Poll: How often do you change your primary/secondary DNS servers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

a) Hourly.
b) Daily.
c) Weekly.
d) WTH is a DNS server and why would I change it?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Scratches head....

e) almost never.

I run DNS on one of my servers, and the other is provided by Linode.

Mobile devices pick up whatever DNS the carrier is using, and the laptop picks up DHCP from the access point (internal or external)...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
use Open DNS and never bother changing.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've run namebench 3X today and found a better DNS each time.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yeah, those milliseconds saved by finding a faster DNS add up, at the end of the week you may have saved two, maybe three total seconds.

I never touch mine, it takes more time just to download and install and run namebench or any of the others out there than I can possibly save in a year of a very slightly faster dns.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
use Open DNS and never bother changing.
^ same. I started using them several years back and that was the last time I changed them, I can't imagine weekly changes let alone more frequent ones. Their uptime has been fantastic.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: None anymore
+1 for Open DNS
+1 for Google DNS
Honestly, not worth changing on the local device.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by phlwookie
^ same. I started using them several years back and that was the last time I changed them, I can't imagine weekly changes let alone more frequent ones. Their uptime has been fantastic.
Same. Once I learned how infrequently my ISP changed theirs, and how much of a mess it caused.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use OpenDNS if I feel a need to set up some sort of content blocking, and Google DNS otherwise.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Hmmm...never except when changed ISP.

Office run DNS on Windows Server and use ISPs DNS servers.

Use ISPs DNS servers at home.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Approximately never - gleaned via DHCP or IPCP depending on what I'm connected to.

Using Google DNS and OpenDNS have drawbacks and can result in sub-optimal performance when in odd countries - CDNs will often end up serving you from remote POPs, so when you find yourself wondering why YouTube is slow and you're using Google/Open DNS, this may be why.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:14 pm

Switched from the Earthlink DNS when they started to redirect me to an ad page despite the urls being valid.

Now I use OpenDNS. ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:56 pm

I use Open DNS on my main PC, and just use the ISPs servers for other devices. I've found that my ISP doesn't pick up changes very quickly but have had no trouble with Open DNS.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I just used ISP DNS virtually all the time. I occasionally use Google DNS on my laptop (with possibly the easiest-to-remember IP addresses anywhere -8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) when the local DNS causes trouble, but that's quite rare.

My home router has been set up with AT&T's DNS as primary and Google's as secondary, going through the router as proxy for several years, since I found out about Google DNS. Before I used my hosting provider as secondary.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Almost never...have my router set up to use VZ's main DNS and when i travel I'll change it if I'm not liking the hotel's DNS but usually i just go with whatever they have and it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.