Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Given that this is a fundamental functionality of the product, Id say that its no longer fit for purpose. Over my 9 long haul sectors in 2017 I didnt receive a single SMS. Ive therefore decided not to renew & throw the hardware in the draw.
the trouble is that there's nothing quite like it to replace it with.

if you only had the email functionality to start with, would you have bought it ?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
the trouble is that there's nothing quite like it to replace it with.

if you only had the email functionality to start with, would you have bought it ?
No, I would not have bought it based on email only, as many times I do not have data connectivity to receive email immediately or departing the aircraft, where sms is generally a certainty.

As far as a replacement - in those same 9 sectors, my bag arrived on the carousel every time. Im not sure a replacement is even needed, seeing as the problem doesnt seem to exist for me.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite

No, I would not have bought it based on email only, as many times I do not have data connectivity to receive email immediately or departing the aircraft, where sms is generally a certainty.

As far as a replacement - in those same 9 sectors, my bag arrived on the carousel every time. Im not sure a replacement is even needed, seeing as the problem doesnt seem to exist for me.
i find these days i mostly get some sort of data connectivity on arrival - so i'm more conflicted as to whether or not to keep it.

i sort of see it like travel insurance - you could go years without using it, but i wouldn't leave home without it !
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I almost always have data connectivity (T- Mobile) and would have bought it with just e-mail notifications. The problem now, however, for me anyway is that the Trakdot device simply takes too long to connect wherever I happen to be. I recently flew from SFO-LAX-CLE-DCA. I got no notice about SFO, no notice about LAX, I was notified promptly upon arrival in CLE and no notice at all at DCA. A 25% success rate is not good enough. For my purposes, I think that this is no longer a helpful tool.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I purchased mine years ago along with lifetime service. I think I've gotten my use out of it and certainly money's worth as it helped in a few personal trips where luggage was not where it was supposed to be. The last few months, I've noticed that I never get the SMS/Text messages anymore (Rogers) and the email notifications are pretty rare as well. But if I use the outdated app, it does show that it has arrived. The fact that you can't change the timezones annoys the heck out of me.

I think lack of anything better int he market right now is giving this product a reprieve. But its getting pretty long in the tooth. I still travel with mine but would love to get something better.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:57 am

I am still having about a 25% success rate with this product. I just returned from a trip to France. On the outbound flight to CDG, I did not receive any notifications from my 2 Trakdots until 16 hours after I had landed at CDG. On the return flight yesterday, I received a very prompt email notification on one of my Trakdots, and never received any notice at all on the other one. Total for the trip = 1 timely notice out of 4 opportunities. That is simply not helpful at all, and I based on current experience, I would not recommend this product.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: None
I have tried using that 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the device's connectivity died in the middle of my travel and their customer service is poor as well. They'd keep promising you until they would stop replying to your emails. Better to try Trackimo, a gps tracker device also and that is what im currently using these days for my daily travel. Very useful and it works worldwide. Truly recommendable and definitely can avoid luggage thefts.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:30 pm

Trackimo

Originally Posted by jakejohnson
Better to try Trackimo, a gps tracker device also and that is what im currently using these days for my daily travel. Very useful and it works worldwide. Truly recommendable and definitely can avoid luggage thefts.
just had a look at the Trackimo website - 200 USD to purchase including first year service charge. 60 USD annual service charge afterwards.

not cheap !
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
just had a look at the Trackimo website - 200 USD to purchase including first year service charge. 60 USD annual service charge afterwards.

not cheap !
But if you'll try to research some other gps tracking devices, you can really see the difference of prices. Trackimo is more way cheaper compared to other popular gps trackers in the market. Also, it has a lot of good reviews especially among drone users and travelers which is its purpose of usage is same as with the concern of this post and great customer service as well.

Last edited by jakejohnson; Aug 7, 2018 at 3:13 am Reason: just wanted to edit some words.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:52 am

Hello everyone. Just wanna share some updates with my device. Today, I found some issues with my trackimo gps tracker but it's just a minimal problem. As this device says that it shows your history data of your travel but first you have to access their site, However, I am having problem with downloading my history data. Does anybody know what does this mean? it encounters download errors. I wasn't disappointed yet with this device but this. I'm currently contacting their support, hopefully, this'd be resolved. I'll give some updates soon and will tell if it's really a recommendable device to use because Im still doubting since I got this problem.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:11 am

Just tried to download my historic data but also could not get them. So I will also contact their support to check whats the issue.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got an e-mail from TrakDot.

The system is effectively dead at least in the US--the electronics in the device are 2G and the carriers dropped support for it. It seems 2G is turning off in much of the world, also.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yep -- same here. I suspect a lot of the existing trackers out there will be in the same boat if they are using 2G.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:03 pm

Traccom - a completely separate entity from Globatrac

received this email from Takdot:

Dear Trakdot User,

Our records indicate you have a Trakdot Luggage Tracker, but that you have not renewed the service subscription in over a year or more.

This past October we advised all Trakdot device owners that the primary provider of telecom service to the device had terminated its 2G service. As you may know, Trakdot Luggage Tracker is a 2G device. Over time, 2G devices of all types will no longer be able to receive telecom service.

However, we are pleased to inform you that we have been able to establish a solution to address your current Trakdot device.

Traccom Inc., a completely separate entity from Globatrac, has agreed to provide their all-purpose tracking device called BSAF, which will be introduced in the 2nd quarter of 2019, just in time for summer travel.

The BSAF is a 4G/5G/LTE device that will send you an email and text message of the location of your luggage when your plane lands and you turn on your cell phone. However, the BSAF also has GPS which will enable you to use the device for many types of tracking where specificity of location is essential e.g., automobile, briefcase/purse, backpack, etc.
<image>
Globatrac has negotiated a special one-time offer with Traccom, Inc. for Trakdot Users to acquire the BSAF device at a discounted price of $69.99 and the first full year of service FREE.

We also can offer you the option to have your existing Trakdot Luggage Tracker device retrofitted to enable it to receive limited service. However, please understand this may only provide a short-term solution.

To take advantage of either conversion option, please click on the appropriate button below:
Yes, I wish to receive further information on converting to BSAF.
I wish to receive futher information on retrofitting my Trakdot to resume limited service.
No, I am not interested and do not wish to receive further notices regarding this offer.

Thank you for your support over the years. We wish you the very best and continued safe travels.

Regards,
Globatrac Management Team
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:05 am

Now that UA has the baggage tracking feature in its app, I don't really have much need for this device. Furthermore, I am a little offended that my "lifetime contract" with Trakdot now requires me to pay $69 for a replacement device and to pay annual fees after the first year.

I say "no thanks."
fartoomanyusers likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.