Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Look upthread--people were reporting tracked bags showing up far from where they really were.
Which is probably far more likely to be related to it being a crap product than due to poor SSID/MAC databases...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Which is probably far more likely to be related to it being a crap product than due to poor SSID/MAC databases...
But where would it get a bogus location to report?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I think I just realized what's up with the inaccurate reporting:

From the start I had serious doubts about GPS operation in the airport--it would pretty much always have to be falling back to WiFi. WiFi doesn't provide actual location data, that's handled by a database of what routers were observed at what locations. Such databases have problems with WiFi sources that move around--a common example being cruise ships.

However, there's the issue of ad-hoc networking by Windows. How many "WiFi networks" are really just traveler's laptops--laptops that might very well be in another city tomorrow?
It doesn't have Wi-Fi. It uses a databases of cellular tower locations at their servers, so when it lands, it sends its location (over SMS) to them, and they ping you. These databases are very unreliable, and in many cases are croudsourced.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Yet another update...mind blowing though it is

As a follow up to my earlier post, when I asked Globatrac to replace my replacement units with new ones (read: not someone else's open box returns), they did. And what they sent is even worse -- two faulty units that will not even power on.

I tried the enclosed batteries. Dead units.

I tried brand new, fresh-out-of-the-package batteries of my own. Dead units.

I followed the instructions in the box, telling you to register your units before powering up, aware it would have no impact on their ability to turn on, but at this point, I'm crossing all the Ts.

During the registration process, I was asked to pay for the first year of service and an activation fee again, in spite of the fact my original units were only in my possession for 2 1/2 months of the original paid year (leaving 9 1/2 months of remaining). My other original unit had yet to be activated, meaning its entire first paid year was still untapped.

I quit.

Just emailed the customer service person -and- Harry Steck, president of the company, asking for a full refund. It blows my mind a company can operate this way...especially when they continue to sell a product that's been found defective by so many early adopters.

Last edited by PaperQueen; Feb 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
My new Trakdot works perfectly

I, like most of those posting here have had my first unit returned, for updating. When returned, it was worse than before.

I contacted support and they responded with a new unit shipped overnight.

I have been on 1 domestic trip and 2 international trips with the new new unit. Perfect all around, with both SMS and email notifications.

Yesterday, I returned from DUS into ORD connecting to MCO. At the Flagship lounge, I was asked if I had checked any luggage. I said I did, but they couldn't find it in their system. I showed the ladies it was indeed at ORD.

When I arrived MCO, it said my luggage also arrived and there it was.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:10 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hmm. Amazon has it for $80. trakdot store has it for $90. Any coupons out there?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lpeterman
I, like most of those posting here have had my first unit returned, for updating. When returned, it was worse than before.

I have been on 1 domestic trip and 2 international trips with the new new unit. Perfect all around, with both SMS and email notifications.
I strongly suggest running out and purchasing a pile of lottery tickets right away---you're on a once-in-a-lifetime lucky streak.

After receiving two so-so units (the originals), then four replacements that refused to function, my patience ran out. The email cc'ing Harry Steck got me a full refund ASAP, including the original year subscription, on both. Now that DL has incorporated automatic baggage tracking in their mobile app, my hope (realistic or not) is that tracking will become more reliable.

We'll see. Sure wasn't working with Trakdot.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I bought one at their stand at the Gadget show in the UK last week. I put it together right before my flight home and stuffed it in my bag. Right before checking my bag I noticed that the whole unit had gotten REALLY hot - like the batteries were being shorted out. I actually burned my finger removing them before it caught fire. Still, I figured better not to have a fire hazard in my bag during a transatlantic flight.

Of course, I had this new luggage tracking device and couldn't use it - and that is the flight where my bags mis-connected. Very frustrating. Will be contacting them for a replacement.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
New trackers coming from airlines:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...ntent=20140416

The eTag is a permanent electronic label that lets you load the flight data for the tag at home before the flight, replacing the current airline luggage sticker. It uses Bluetooth technology and syncs with your smartphone, so passengers won't need to relabel bags for each trip — details are updated automatically. But perhaps the most time-saving part of this is that using the eTag means passengers get to just drop off bags at a fast drop, no agent interaction required.

Separately, the eTrack is a geolocating gadget to pop inside your luggage so you can trace it worldwide. That location information will be available to both the customer (through a smartphone app) and the airline, so if a bag is misplaced or shows up on the wrong aircraft, the airline can get to it.

As you might expect, battery life of the eTrack — the homing device for your bag — will be a bit of a hassle. It needs to be recharged after about 10 flights, depending on how often you ping your suitcase.

While the devices will be sold separately, passengers can use the eTag and eTrack together. The product folks behind the effort say they're hoping these devices become adopted by other airlines across the industry.

"We've worked closely with our suppliers and with Delta to try to make this an industry initiative, not just an airline initiative," Manuel van Lijf, Air France-KLM's product innovation manager, told FutureTravelExperience.com.

"The idea was to create a product that can be used by a passenger flying with Air France, KLM, Delta, Lufthansa or another airline, for instance. Why would a passenger buy a permanent tag that can only be used on one airline?"
Old May 28, 2014, 10:18 am

So guys, the Trakdot is basically useless isn't it ?

Amazon reviews aren't too flash

http://www.amazon.com/Trakdot-17-Lug.../dp/B00EYE5CAQ

If someone invents a truly reliable tracker, would be a great product
Old May 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Peterpack
So guys, the Trakdot is basically useless isn't it ?
That's my opinion...but hey, I only went through four replacement units without a single one working to come to that conclusion.

Originally Posted by Peterpack
If someone invents a truly reliable tracker, would be a great product
Agreed, although I might not be first person in line to buy one next time. Ahhh, the inherent risk to being an early adopter.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
[QUOTE=lpeterman;22693131]I, like most of those posting here have had my first unit returned, for updating. When returned, it was worse than before.

QUOTE]

Since my post (#35) I have traveled to GRU, LHR, SIN, PVG, HKG, TPE, MSY. In all cases, the unit worked flawlessly, alerting me via email and SMS.

Battery lasted for the 2 week multi-stop trip.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I picked one up a month ago and tested on a international flight with a connection. Worked just fine.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:33 am

Been over a year since this thread had a post. Have there been any improvements ? any recent experiences from members ?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
I too have been waiting for updated experiences. All these recent offers for lifetime service for a fixed price make it tempting. But my early experiences showed poor results with depleted batteries on 24 hour trips to SE Asia and a few other poor experieces.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.