Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices on planes - what's the real danger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices on planes - what's the real danger?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I don't understand the POV that the rule should not be criticised 'because its no big deal to not use it for a while' - that doesn't look at whether the rule has any reason for existing. Regulations shouldn't be made just for the sake of making them, they should have a valid reason that they are required - and if those rules are no longer required, we should look at removing them. (like no longer having the person walking in front of our motor vehicle to announce that a motor vehicle was coming through)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't think an iPad could decapitate.

It might be able to fly fast enough to crack a skull but not cut all the way through a neck.

But people are holding it at waist level. It would have to go up above the level of the seat backs and then accelerate horizontally for several dozen rows to generate enough speed to cause a forceful impact. But some unfortunate soul would have to stick up their head above the seats.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Forgot to add, wasn't the EU investigating allowing the use of cell phones?

I'm not sure how you can hold a conversation in a plane but if you could turn on your smart phones, having data access might appeal to a lot of people.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
I had somebody report me to the TSA because he thought my iPad wasn't fully off.
To TSA? Or to the flight attendants?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Internaut
Depending on the route and the size of the plane, take off and the landing phase (where they ask you to stow everything) is 15-30 minutes. I don't see how it could possibly be a hardship (or a violation of anyone's rights) to do without entertainment in that time. Some carriers now have their entertainment switched on pretty much from the moment you get on the plane to the moment it touches down.
Seems like most US Carriers have the entertainment off until after departure though. On a recent AA flight they did have the onboard entertainment (interrupted by cabin announcements) upon departure from the gate, but not quite from when you board until touchdown. They shut it down under 10k IIRC.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by kirkbauer
So why do they allow books of any size/weight to be unstowed?
I have been asked to stow a book...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:12 pm

The only thing I want to be able to use is a camera during takeoff and landing...which I know a lot of people do anyway. I have done it myself...but yeah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.