Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Just as an FYI to folks to be careful with chargers that have this design of mix and match with 2.5A split between two ports but without designating a single high power port. I burnt out my old charger by plugging in two iPads into it. Apparently, it tried to draw 4A total which was more than it was capable of and it ended up overheating and having a slight burnt smell afterwards. Not good.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I have to say, the more I travel with my Skiva 4 port charger, the more I'm liking it! Small enough for having 4 ports, and plenty of power to recharge my toys. In fact, my only gripe is the blue light is so daggone bright, at night in a hotel room it looks like blue laser is shining in the room. I put a little piece of black duct tape over it, though, and now things are excellent. That blue laser light is still bright enough to shine thru black tape, but now it's very muted.

This Skiva is pretty sweet.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After all the posts here, it appears that the Skiva and Antec are still winning - Skiva for being so damn small, Antec for those that prefer a cord. Until the mythical Scosche 20W/4port charger comes out, I think I'm set for the time being
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I wish they would make the prongs on the Skiva plug able to rotate, it would suit Australia as well as the US then
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:36 am

USB charger quality varies widely and there are considerations other than amperage rating that are important but not specified. Here is a very detailed evaluation of USB chargers that I found eye opening.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-doze...-apple-is.html
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I have to say, the more I travel with my Skiva 4 port charger, the more I'm liking it! Small enough for having 4 ports, and plenty of power to recharge my toys. In fact, my only gripe is the blue light is so daggone bright, at night in a hotel room it looks like blue laser is shining in the room. I put a little piece of black duct tape over it, though, and now things are excellent. That blue laser light is still bright enough to shine thru black tape, but now it's very muted.

This Skiva is pretty sweet.
I bought the Skiva base on previous discussions.

45,000 flight miles and 21 hotel night later I agree it is the best product on the market. Together with a three 2-pronged outlet US 15 ft extension cord and a plug adapter I feel en"powered".
I have not needed the plug adapter yet as all the hotels had these multi-plug capable sockets.

The idea of the short 1 ft power cords was also useful as well as the 1 ft and 6 in usb cord to keep everything compact.

My travel list:
Blackberry Torch 9800
Samsung S2
Nexus 7
Plantronic bluetooth headset/wireless mic
Lenovo X220
Trenscend II CPAP

Yes, the bright blue light on the Skiva was a PITA
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Not to resurrect an old thread but wanted to comment on my experience with Arctic. I got the Pro 4 Rev.2 charger that I ordered off the Arctic site from Hong Kong in about 5 or 6 days. Didn't work

I figured I was SOL as there was no phone number on their website, I submitted 2 web forms with no response and sent 2 emails, also no response. My credit card told me I had to supply proof that I had mailed it back to them before they would do a chargeback. I wasn't about to send it off without some contact from the company first as I didn't want to throw more money after a $22 charger. I was just going to cut my losses and lesson learned. Did a bit of googling and discovered they have an office in California. One phone call and the service could not have been better. No questions, just FedEx'd a new one off to me the same day and it works perfectly. I asked if they wanted me to send the non-working one to them (was happy to send it to CA). Nope, just told me to dispose of it responsibly. Great service from Arctic.

And the charger works great. Super fast on the 5a ports and decent when charging iphone, ipad and kindle all at once. Compact and easy to carry with all international plugs. Maybe not as great as the Antic with more juice but I am very happy with it and I love a company that stands behind their products.

Mine "popped" when I plugged it in to my extension cord the other evening, and doesn't work anymore. Used the support form on their web site (included my order number and order date) last night and they already emailed me to confirm my address to replace it. Nice service. I hope the replacement unit doesn't fail.

-David
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:45 pm

BESTEK 1875W USB Wall Charging Station & outlet splitter

Chargers, what are your thoughts on this device? the 5.2A caught my eye, as did the $19 price tag.

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Chargin...xgy_kinh_img_z

Input: AC110V - 125V; AC output: AC110V -125V 60HZ 1875Watts; USB output: DC5V/ 5.2A (four USB ports total)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Physical size is very unappealing. Also, grounded plug will be a PITA to convert. If I am into grounded plugs, I could use a http://www.voltagevalet.com/prod_comtel/PS2.html PS2 Travel Power Strip and a Skiva and get five USB ports with 5A (4 port/4A from the Skiva, 1 port/1A from the PS2) total. And all this would still be much smaller than that monster.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by orangewasabi
Chargers, what are your thoughts on this device? the 5.2A caught my eye, as did the $19 price tag.

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Chargin...xgy_kinh_img_z

Input: AC110V - 125V; AC output: AC110V -125V 60HZ 1875Watts; USB output: DC5V/ 5.2A (four USB ports total)
I bought one of these for home....its a nice place to charge all my devices. I leave in ipad, iphone, and micro usb cords. It still leaves outlets available for other devices such as my aa/aaa battery charger.

Good for your home charging station, not so great for travel.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:01 pm

I'm going to give the Antec a try. Combined with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I think that I should be doing pretty well with power needs when I travel - wherever that may be.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott
Arctic Charger Pro 4 Rev. 2

It's 19.99 on AmzPrime right now. Only 4 left though: http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Charger.../dp/B007QVITE0

I now have a many of the gadgets you people have mentioned. Need to start weeding out for my Doha trip later this week. I carry some big Lenovo laptop, 2 Blackberries, 1 iPhone, and iPad regulary for work so lightening my load is tough.

Rgustafs
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgustafs
It's 19.99 on AmzPrime right now. Only 4 left though: http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Charger.../dp/B007QVITE0

I now have a many of the gadgets you people have mentioned. Need to start weeding out for my Doha trip later this week. I carry some big Lenovo laptop, 2 Blackberries, 1 iPhone, and iPad regulary for work so lightening my load is tough.

Rgustafs
After a lot of trips with the 4A Skiva, I would never travel with anything else. Skiva + 4 3-in-1 USB cables is the ultimate charging solution IMHO.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW: I do believe that I have found a cheaper version of the Skiva 4A/4 port charger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFQ0ANA...G0PN9HX7RKM6H&
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by ScottC
After a lot of trips with the 4A Skiva, I would never travel with anything else. Skiva + 4 3-in-1 USB cables is the ultimate charging solution IMHO.
ScottC: agree, Skiva rocks. I like the logo branding on the Skiva better than the Bolse, but that's nit picking. Anway: you gotta link to your 3in1 USB cables?

In the past I've used these 3in1 cables: link

But since I just happen to be fully Android at the moment, and since all my other toys are micro USB, in order to save a little space in my gadget bag, lately I've just been travelling with retractable micro USB cables with one each of the adapters below. I really only need them when travelling with friends or family and they forget their own rechargers - which happens more often than you'd think, esp with my kids, since their so used to Good Ole First National Bank of Dad and his perpetual electronic toolbox. Can I get an Amen on that?

Apple adapter

Mini USB adapter (as opposed to micro USB)

Last edited by thegasguru; Mar 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.