Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Two cords arriving Saturday via amazon. Tell me what you think when your goodies come!
I think Scott's right about the retractable AC cord, it feels like the retractable part won't last. We'll see.

The Antec looks fine, it's ready to go for my next trip.

The new Arctic usb charger looks like the nicest one yet. It's a little pricey though. Not buying anything else right now. If it shows up somewhere discounted with free shipping to Hawaii, I'll reconsider.

-David
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think Scott's right about the retractable AC cord, it feels like the retractable part won't last. We'll see.
The Antec looks fine, it's ready to go for my next
-David
Arrived grand canary isle on medical emergency n rushed out with Antec, retractable n other plug in my bag. So far so good, Antec charged oneiPad, 2 iPhones, n one local vodafone last night. Retractable cord for my Cpap also worked ok.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Nice thread. Am I the only person who also travels with an adapter and one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-I...6860382&sr=8-1

Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Nice thread. Am I the only person who also travels with an adapter and one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-I...6860382&sr=8-1

I like this one better, since it's more compact and packs easier. The power cord wraps around the device and plugs into itself for storage and packing mode, but then can unwrap to give a couple of feet of cord length. There are outlets on both sides, for a total of 4 outlets to plug into.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG.../dp/B000F9YN2M

But to be honest with you, I rarely travel with it. I usually pack something similar to this:

Most of my devices use USB cords to recharge, so I can minimize the bulk of my recharging packing needs by carrying the compact Arctic recharger and some retractable cables. That way I don't need to carry a bulky extension cord along with the proprietary charger from each device I might be carrying. By also packing the little outlet multiplier cube pictured above, when I run into a situation where I need to share an outlet (crowded airport lounge, goofy hotel room with only one outlet not blocked by furniture, etc.), I still have an option.

Last edited by thegasguru; Dec 30, 2012 at 6:38 am
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thegasguru:19942503

I like this one better, since it's more compact and packs easier. The power cord wraps around the device and plugs into itself for storage and packing mode, but then can unwrap to give a couple of feet of cord length. There are outlets on both sides, for a total of 4 outlets to plug into.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG.../dp/B000F9YN2M

But to be honest with you, I rarely travel with it. I usually pack something similar to this:

Most of my devices use USB cords to recharge, so I can minimize the bulk of my recharging packing needs by carrying the compact Arctic recharger and some retractable cables. That way I don't need to carry a bulky extension cord along with the proprietary charger from each device I might be carrying. By also packing the little outlet multiplier cube pictured above, when I run into a situation where I need to share an outlet (crowded airport lounge, goofy hotel room with only one outlet not blocked by furniture, etc.), I still have an option.
+1

I'm exactly at the same place. I have a Monster power strip like yours with 1 USB port but I pretty much only use it on trips where the power is 220v. Otherwise, I travel with a three tap outlet like yours. I also made a homemade extension cord using lamp cord as it is thinner than regular extension cords and packs tighter.

BTW, I ordered the Artic based on your post and expect to get it Tuesday from Amazon. I've been looking to replace a Scosche 2 port that went belly up. I had that and a high power 12v charger go belly up and I think it was due to a USB cable. I'd bought a coiled cable as it was less tangle prone but it toasted both chargers so a word of warning on USB cables. I'm in the market for some USB cables that will quick charge my Nexus 7 which is finicky about its power.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by JMN57
+1

I'm exactly at the same place. I have a Monster power strip like yours with 1 USB port but I pretty much only use it on trips where the power is 220v. Otherwise, I travel with a three tap outlet like yours. I also made a homemade extension cord using lamp cord as it is thinner than regular extension cords and packs tighter.

BTW, I ordered the Artic based on your post and expect to get it Tuesday from Amazon. I've been looking to replace a Scosche 2 port that went belly up. I had that and a high power 12v charger go belly up and I think it was due to a USB cable. I'd bought a coiled cable as it was less tangle prone but it toasted both chargers so a word of warning on USB cables. I'm in the market for some USB cables that will quick charge my Nexus 7 which is finicky about its power.
Well, since we're delving into the minutiae of electronic recharging solutions in this thread, let me offer this link:

http://kopi-d.com/?page_id=297

I own these cables, and they charge faster than anything else out there. I have a fondness for retractable cables for travel, and most of the time I'm recharging overnight anyway, so speed isn't my top priority - compactness and reliability is. However, I do *always* pack 1 of these cables, so that if for whatever reason I need a fast charge, I've got the hi powered Arctic recharger and my hi powered Kopi cable ready.

However, I rarely need an emegency charge from an outlet, because I also carry this battery pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s01_i00

This battery pack has 8400 mAh of power, but is no bigger than about a deck of cards. And it has TWO usb outlets, one standard power, and the other a hi powered 2.1A output (ie, 10W). If I'm on a Transcon and my Nexus 7 is starting to peter out (and there are no seat outlets), I just pull this out. Works like a dream.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thegasguru:19942768

Well, since we're delving into the minutiae of electronic recharging solutions in this thread, let me offer this link:

http://kopi-d.com/?page_id=297

I own these cables, and they charge faster than anything else out there. I have a fondness for retractable cables for travel, and most of the time I'm recharging overnight anyway, so speed isn't my top priority - compactness and reliability is. However, I do *always* pack 1 of these cables, so that if for whatever reason I need a fast charge, I've got the hi powered Arctic recharger and my hi powered Kopi cable ready.

However, I rarely need an emegency charge from an outlet, because I also carry this battery pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s01_i00

This battery pack has 8400 mAh of power, but is no bigger than about a deck of cards. And it has TWO usb outlets, one standard power, and the other a hi powered 2.1A output (ie, 10W). If I'm on a Transcon and my Nexus 7 is starting to peter out (and there are no seat outlets), I just pull this out. Works like a dream.
Hey thanks, the USB cable is just what I've been looking for. I have a small battery pack too and also an 18000 mah battery that can charge my laptop but I rarely take that. I got the Nexus 7 3g when it came out and am just figuring out charging it efficiently.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Re: the Arctic above, the OP gave this link: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/power/char...0/.html?c=2224
$29.90 and paid shipping

Is this the same as: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail/ind...4_r2_promotion
This link has sale price of $22.95 plus free shipping.

Same site and I can't see any differences or am I missing something? Loaded both into my cart and they look identical and have same UPC number. Second link is cheaper and free shipping when I tried both US and Canada. Unless I am crazy and this is not the same product, I am ordering one today. Strange that I had to really search for the promo item and the reg. priced one is still showing on the site with full price and paid shipping.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They both have the same UPC code (under technical data) so I would assume they are the same product. One of the web links has the word promotion on it, so it's probably set up to offer some audience a discount without having to enter a code, etc. It's just an easier way to offer a sale to a group, give them a link with the already discounted price.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Curse you all! Now I'll end up with 7 or 8 "ultimate chargers"
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Went ahead and ordered the Arctic at the sale price with free shipping to Canada. Will post transit time and review once I get it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:08 pm

Finally...I'm surrounded by fellow nerds who appreciate the nuance of a perfect charger.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Curse you all! Now I'll end up with 7 or 8 "ultimate chargers"
Hilarious!!!

Welcome to the club.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Is this the same as: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail/ind...4_r2_promotion
This link has sale price of $22.95 plus free shipping.
discounted price, free shipping to Hawaii (HK airmail postal svc). I ordered one.

Thanks?

-David
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
discounted price, free shipping to Hawaii (HK airmail postal svc). I ordered one.

Thanks?

-David
You're welcome

I was going to ship to Hawaii myself as I spend a good part of the year there but they said transit time was 8-12 days (!) and I am not going back until Feb. We'll see if it really does arrive that quick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.