Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other thing with the cheap knock offs is that frequently their electrical insulation and separation between the high voltage side and the low voltage side is not up to par. There have been a lot of reports of knockoff Apple power supplies, for example, bursting into flame or frying iPhones.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I ordered the skivia from amazon last week and it still hasn't shipped. If it doesn't ship today I'm going to cancel the order as I'm leaving for a 2 week trip to Asia on Saturday. Is this (or any similar unit) available in retail stores?

Thanks for all the tips.
Tekserve on 23rd Street in New York City sells the Skiva.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The plastic housing of my Skiva have broken into two and is now held together by tape wrapped around it and the plastic surrounding the ports is just gone. It's a rectangle made of very thin plastic. Drop it once, good-bye. I will try the Monoprice one next as it's more flat, it will fit my new, beloved Cocoon Slim backpack much better.

Nonetheless, the Skiva still charges my devices fast so bonus points on that. My Droid 4 is a little picky on what chargers it accepts for fast charging; and the slow charging is so slow it'd be faster by a hand cranker :P

Last edited by chx1975; Sep 22, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
I will try the Monoprice one next as it's more flat, it will fit my new, beloved Cocoon Slim backpack much better.
I ordered a couple from Monoprice for the family and surprised that all 4 of their ports would power iPad2....
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another contender:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=10ktech-20

45W total output - 4x 2.1A. Pricey, and big. Got it today, has a fixed power cord, but initial tests show that it does indeed for 4 x 2.1A.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
^That's a big charger, Scott! And looks to be well-ventilated so it must really be pumping out the watts. Speaking of which, I did kill a charger that way - charged iPhone and iPad at the same time and the charger ended up with a burned smell. I'm lucky it didn't melt or burst into flame!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Another contender:

45W total output - 4x 2.1A. Pricey, and big. Got it today, has a fixed power cord, but initial tests show that it does indeed for 4 x 2.1A.
<shakes head sadly> if only I had four iPads that needed simultaneous charging
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Another contender:

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
<shakes head sadly> if only I had four iPads that needed simultaneous charging

Not just iPads, many new devices coming down the pipeline are going to the USB 5V DC standard for power/charging.

Added:
Ordered mine from Amazon- what sold me is the heft of the unit as well as vented slots. It should handle everything this family tosses at it. I use N7, Q10, bluetooth-keyboard and headset as well as the Lumsing 11000 battery pack.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 22, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another contender:

Scott:

Mine is not here yet, can you do me a favor and see if there is a label stating input voltage? Is it 110V only or 100-240V?

TIA
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Scott:

Mine is not here yet, can you do me a favor and see if there is a label stating input voltage? Is it 110V only or 100-240V?

TIA
100-120V
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:54 pm

I know it's only a dual port but I really like the Ventev I got at J&R. Unfortunately sometimes hotel rooms and airport lounges don't put wall sockets in handy places. Anyone have any recommendations on extension cords?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100-120V
Can't have everything including the kitchen sink!

It is good that they are playing it safe. I know that with the Skiva it is hotter when using the higher voltage inputs.

I guess I need to look for my 100W 100-240V adapter/converter. The full size one would be too much to carry.
Fortunately I have installed a step down transformer/converter in the guestroom that I use in HK and most hotels that I have been in has a US style 110V outlet now.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can't have everything including the kitchen sink!

It is good that they are playing it safe. I know that with the Skiva it is hotter when using the higher voltage inputs.

I guess I need to look for my 100W 100-240V adapter/converter. The full size one would be too much to carry.
Fortunately I have installed a step down transformer/converter in the guestroom that I use in HK and most hotels that I have been in has a US style 110V outlet now.
The good news is that it really is pushing 2.1A per port (per my Charger Doctor!). Always happy when a charger doesn't lie about its specs.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The good news is that it really is pushing 2.1A per port (per my Charger Doctor!). Always happy when a charger doesn't lie about its specs.
Testing it now, seem to charge the heavy draw gadgets properly without getting too hot, IMHO it is warm.

Too bad it is not 100-240V but I can live with that shortcoming.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad it is not 100-240V but I can live with that shortcoming.
That's actually surprising to me. I thought all these new transformers for chargers were semiconductor-based now, which would make them dual voltage. Does this actually have a copper/iron core old fashioned transformer inside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.