Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recieving Google Voice Texts While Overseas

Recieving Google Voice Texts While Overseas

Old Jan 22, 13, 6:20 pm

Regarding sending automated notifications to email (instead of as SMS to cell phone)... The notifications are currently also being sent to email, but I get a ton of emails and I don't want to check email constantly, nor do I want to eat up data checking ALL emails.

It would be helpful if I could send important emails to a GMail folder (label), then set up iPhone 'Notifications' to pop-up Alerts and show Badge App Icons for that folder (label) ONLY, but I haven't figured out how to do that, either.
Old Jan 22, 13, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sproketz View Post
It would be helpful if I could send important emails to a GMail folder (label), then set up iPhone 'Notifications' to pop-up Alerts and show Badge App Icons for that folder (label) ONLY, but I haven't figured out how to do that, either.
You could probably use IFTTT and something like Pushover to accomplish this.
Old Aug 8, 13, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
What if I don't use a local SIM and just want to forward from GV to my AT&T phone when traveling internationally? Will GV forward texts internationally?

If I want to text a response, I gather I will pay AT&T the usual rate for outgoing international text and MMS.
Old Aug 8, 13, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
What if I don't use a local SIM and just want to forward from GV to my AT&T phone when traveling internationally? Will GV forward texts internationally?

If I want to text a response, I gather I will pay AT&T the usual rate for outgoing international text and MMS.
That will work, since your GV is just forwarding to a US phone number.

I think it should also work for forwarding texts to your US phone number. It's AT&T's job to see that the text actually finds you.
Old Aug 12, 13, 7:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thumbs up Google Voice Is Great

In the US, I only give out my good voice number. Since I travel frequently I know I can get my voice mails and texts anywhere. Also with google voice coupled with gchat I can place and receive calls on my computer as long as I have gmail open. I have an iphone 5 I travel with and I routinely use the app to text people in the states. Unfortunately, it will not let you call directly from overseas. I couldn't function without it.
Old Aug 12, 13, 7:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
That will work, since your GV is just forwarding to a US phone number.

I think it should also work for forwarding texts to your US phone number. It's AT&T's job to see that the text actually finds you.
When traveling internationally just use the google voice app. I find it is a lot more reliable and cheaper than having messages forwarded.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: