Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help me find a great password manager

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm using 1Password and it works well. The pre-fill feature isn't 100% reliable though, but it's not a huge issue to manually copy/paste passwords when it doesn't work. Dropbox sync for sharing my database between mobile devices, PCs and my MacBook Pro works too; I enabled 2FA on Dropbox though for added security.

Of course, I'll continue to evaluate in case better options arise.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This has just reminded me to do the LastPass security check and sort out some duplicates etc. Now up to 97% "safety" - the other 3% is mainly old passwords that haven't been changed for a while.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur with @antichef. I've been using LastPass for the last 7 years or so and it's well worth the $24. Using any password manager does force you to have a new workflow with logging in and password management, but it's fine. I just wish there were a way to tell it to never prompt me for 2 factor auth on a given device, like my home laptop that never leaves the living room. But once a month is fine.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I concur with @antichef. I've been using LastPass for the last 7 years or so and it's well worth the $24. Using any password manager does force you to have a new workflow with logging in and password management, but it's fine. I just wish there were a way to tell it to never prompt me for 2 factor auth on a given device, like my home laptop that never leaves the living room. But once a month is fine.
Agreed. I also use LastPass' Emergency Access functionality (you can designate a password executor who can get access to your password vault in case of your death or whatever), and the sharing capability.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I have an envelope in a safe. My executor (younger brother) can get access to the safe when I turn up my toes! He uses LastPass and knows the Master Password is there.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I've used Dashlane Premium for years. Signed up dirt cheap for a 5 year plan and still have 1.5 to go. I get more and more frustrated with it every day. They did add a VPN, but it auto selects the nearest server and you can choose one. Helped get around some blocks while I was in Asia last month.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I've used Dashlane Premium for years. Signed up dirt cheap for a 5 year plan and still have 1.5 to go. I get more and more frustrated with it every day. They did add a VPN, but it auto selects the nearest server and you can choose one. Helped get around some blocks while I was in Asia last month.
I'm not sure why one would want an all-in-one VPN provider and password manager. It may be totally without basis, but there's just something about Dashlane I don't like and don't trust.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Gold
Sounds like you want something like KeePass. You DON'T want a cloud based solution it sounds like. Many others do what you want, in syncing their KeePass database. Make sure 2fa is turned on in Dropbox. Dropbox has had security issues before, though, FYI.

I have been happy with LastPass for sometime, set up with DUO for push 2fa.

As far as I know, iOS does not allow autofill, I would guess never will.

Many features on the free version of LastPass now.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using Keepass2Android for several years now, a totally free (and ad-free) solution that allows use of either a local file or cloud-based file (it will sync to Google Drive or Dropbox, either one). It works flawlessly and has a good user interface.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm not sure why one would want an all-in-one VPN provider and password manager. It may be totally without basis, but there's just something about Dashlane I don't like and don't trust.
Dashlane only recently added VPN to their premium service. I subscribed years before this was a benefit.

I have purchased separate VPN services twice in the past two or three years and weren't happy with either of them.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by cbkcc1
Sounds like you want something like KeePass. You DON'T want a cloud based solution it sounds like. Many others do what you want, in syncing their KeePass database. Make sure 2fa is turned on in Dropbox. Dropbox has had security issues before, though, FYI.

I have been happy with LastPass for sometime, set up with DUO for push 2fa.

Many features on the free version of LastPass now.
I have an iPhone and the LastPass versions over the last year have had auto fill, it offers you your passwords when you start to get the typing keys
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Lastpass is to this day one of my favorite software/apps. Now that you can use it to login directly to iOS apps, it's even better. I really like the security challenge part of it, which will tell me if there are any sites where I've used the same password, where I have weak passwords, etc. Works fantastic between devices, windows, macOS, iOS, etc. $2/mo is well worth it for this level of passwd security.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cbkcc1
Not all apps support it, but many do. Even for ones that don't, you can setup iOS to just have a button at the top of the keyboard for Lastpass (or the crappy Apple pw manager)

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=8606

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.