Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

help me find a great password manager

help me find a great password manager

Old May 6, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice comparison review in today's WSJ (subscription required) with very favorable review for Dashlane:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...&mg=reno64-wsj

I bought 1Password but may switch to Dashlane now. I have yet to fully implement 1Password as it's a PITA for data entry across multiple accounts and also lacks 2-step authentication. I am still waiting for a solution that will prefill login for my iphone Apps but apparently Apple won't permit that.

Excerpt from WSJ:

Dashlane is like the memory you wish you had. It keeps track of not only passwords, but also credit card numbers and user IDs, filling them in when you need them across many different devices. It also keeps a helpful scorecard on the quality of your existing passwords, and nudges you to improve them.

Dashlane is free to use on any single device; a $30 annual subscription lets the Dashlane apps automatically sync your data across devices. You can try this premium service free for 30 days.

Setting up Dashlane is a pleasure. Its app slurps up the passwords that been saved unencrypted in your Web browser, and learns new ones as you type them. All of this gets protected by the master password, encrypted in a database on your computer or mobile device. Every time you start your computer or open the Dashlane app, you must log into the app with that master password. (You can make it ask for your password more often, like whenever your device is idle for too long.)

Dashlane uses an add-on to Web browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. When you're logging into a site Dashlane knows, it puts a small icon (a dashing impala) in the login box to let you know it can enter your username and password—even your credit card number. If you tell it to, Dashlane will even press the "login" button automatically. It doesn't work on every site, but does a better job than most.

Along the way, Dashlane also tries to improve your security. When you're changing a password or starting a new account, it suggests a strong one that would confound even a supercomputer. And its colorful security scorecard cheerfully humiliates you into replacing weak or repeated passwords.

*** Dashlane works largely the same way on Android phones and tablets, automatically entering your passwords in apps, though not yet on the default Chrome browser. (The company says it is working on that.). On iPhones and iPads, the Dashlane app gives you access to all of your logins and passwords, but can't fill them in for you because of Apple's programming rules. (The same problem afflicts most password managers except for PasswordBox, which has figured out a way to auto-login on a handful of big sites on mobile Safari.)

Dashlane's app includes its own Web browser that does automatically fill in passwords, but most people end up copying and pasting passwords from the app to their preferred browsers.

If you share a computer with family members, Dashlane remembers multiple logins without asking you to set up profiles. *** Behind the scenes, Dashlane takes some important steps to secure your data. It never sends your master password over the Internet, and it protects your personal data using advanced encryption known as AES-256 before syncing it with your other devices via its servers. Neither Dashlane nor a hacker (or government agency) breaking into the company's systems could access your data without knowing your master password. This setup prevented Dashlane from even being vulnerable to the recent Heartbleed security catastrophe.

But if you really want to keep your stuff off the Internet, Dashlane gives you that option, too, though you'll need to sync passwords manually across devices. (The password manager that does the best offline syncing is 1Password. See chart for more info.)

OK, what happens if somebody manages to get your master password? That could happen if someone installs a piece of keylogging malware on your computer—and is a good reminder that you should run antivirus software to keep such attacks at bay. But even if that happened, there's an additional layer of security: Dashlane won't let someone unlock your passwords on a new device without first entering an ever-changing code it sends directly to your phone or email.

This important two-step authentication is only available from Dashlane and LastPass, though PasswordBox says it is working on it. A 1Password spokesman says this additional authentication isn't helpful with its design, where there is no central silo of your data. But I think it helps to know if someone is trying to get into your stuff.

Still, why should you place your trust in Dashlane, a two-year-old startup with two million customers? Because selling security is the only way Dashlane makes money. And if you decide it is not worth $30 a year, Dashlane lets you export your password database in forms that can be read by you or another password manager.

You could even use the old-fashioned technique, and print out the database on paper. As crazy as that sounds, it's still safer than using the same password over and over again.
Old May 6, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
+1 for lastpass. Been using it for years. Awesome integration between devices/browsers. And all for FREE.

Lastpass is one of the best add-ons on the internet (NoScript a close second).
Old May 6, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That Dashlane "review" was a pretty brazen ad for Dashlane. LastPass, in particular, does everything he lauds Dashlane for, at a fraction of the cost.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
There's a lot of utility for these managers so the price seems pretty high.

I'm using 1Password but don't rely on it to pre fill. Just store the info.

Probably will check out the KeyPass variants too.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:33 am

++ for Lastpass. Sooo good. Soo easy. Love the security check feature where it looks at all passwords across all your sites and identifies the ones that are duplicates.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA
No one's mentioned ewallet. I've always liked it. Syncs to my phone. I wouldn't store password information anywhere in the cloud.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:48 pm

B-Folders is a solid password manager that does not require storage in cloud.

Desktop: WIN, MAC and Linux software. It is free for Android. Easy sync between devices.

Well worth a try.

Last edited by OnTheCentreline; May 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Old May 13, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I have been very happy with LastPass. Got rid of 1Password. I require master password for important passwords and it works across Mac and Android platforms. It does store in the Cloud but encrypted so LastPass claims they would have now way of recovering the passwords if you lose the master.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
update?

Old thread but still relevant. Looking for my first password manager. Your thoughts? Rarely use my Android phone so mostly for laptop.

PC Mag lists these: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I am still with, and still happy with, LastPass.

It has even improved since I last commented. Money well spent IMO.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antichef
I am still with, and still happy with, LastPass.

It has even improved since I last commented. Money well spent IMO.
Thanks for that. PC Mag says: With LastPass Premium, you get all the powerful features of the free LastPass, along with a handful of enhancements that you don't necessarily need. Stick with the free edition..

What makes the Premium version worth the $24 fee?

TIA
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:16 pm

I have it on my phone, laptop, desktop and ipad. It syncs automatically between them. Since it auto generates and saves new passwords for new sites at your convenience you can set long and complex individual updated new passwords (think 20 plus characters) to all your existing sites easily and quickly.

For $24 a year it is a godsend. A few beers for this level of security is good value. I would pay for anything I get use and value for if I want it to succeed and stay in the marketplace.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antichef
I have it on my phone, laptop, desktop and ipad. It syncs automatically between them. Since it auto generates and saves new passwords for new sites at your convenience you can set long and complex individual updated new passwords (think 20 plus characters) to all your existing sites easily and quickly.

For $24 a year it is a godsend. A few beers for this level of security is good value. I would pay for anything I get use and value for if I want it to succeed and stay in the marketplace.
Thanks antichef and I love your username.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:36 pm

If you are only using one device the free version will work well for you. I have multiple devices, including Mac and Windows, two of the Macs (laptop and desktop) also have Windows running in a Parallels VM with the LastPass there too. The premium is therefore ideal for my use.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks antichef and I love your username.
it comes from antichef.com which is an alias for a spamgourmet disposable address generator - something else I highly recommend and have been using even longer than FT or LastPass!
https://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl

How it works:
https://greycoder.com/use-a-disposal...your-real-one/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.