Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

help me find a great password manager

help me find a great password manager

Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:39 pm
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ORD
Posts: 14,300
Originally Posted by thebat
I just started using it and it works well mostly. Delta.com seems like it doesn't want to work with it.
On problematic pages like that, fill in your username and password, then choose the Save All Entered Data option from the LastPass menu.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:00 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Joliet, IL
Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Revisiting this topic, as my requirements are slightly different than OP:

  • An iPhone app that stores data locally (i.e. on my iPhone) with remote backup. There are times when I need access to my passwords but I can't (e.g. on a plane) or don't (e.g. Starbucks) want to sync over a network.
  • A program that I can access from both my iPhone and from my browser, e.g. evernote. Has to be usable in Explorer and Chrome or Safari or Firefox.
  • Preferable if it comes with fields for different types of data, i.e. website usernames/passwords, banks, FF #s, etc.


Based on my research (reviews), I've narrowed the choice to:
  • 1Password ($65 for both Mac and iphone/pad)
  • Datavault ($10 all access)
  • mSecure ($30 all access)

Any thoughts?

BONUS: Are there any password managers that will autofill iphone apps? I guess that is too much to ask as it would require the App, i.e. Chase Bank to interact with the password program, which they understandably would decline. I am not talking about website autofill which many browsers can do.
The 1password app for iOS has a built-in browser that allows you to auto fill. It works quite nicely.
smorris76 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:05 pm
  #63  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ORD
Posts: 14,300
Originally Posted by smorris76
The 1password app for iOS has a built-in browser that allows you to auto fill. It works quite nicely.
Yup, same with LastPass.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:04 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Posts: 5,537
Smorris76,

I have Keeper and LastPass on my iPhone. Both will do your job for offline access, but Keeper will not autofill, which LastPass does well.
antichef is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:24 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tri-State Area
Posts: 4,728
For Lastpass seniors, a few questions:

1. Autofill with iOS app - does it work for multiple browsers, eg safari, chrome and firefox. Does any particular browser work better? Does it autofill for any other non-browser apps?

2. How easy is it to transfer passwords from say 1Password to Lastpass?

3. Assume you can use Lastpass autofill function on multiple devices with one license, eg iPhone, iPad and MacBook or is a separate subscription required for each device?

Many thanks...
dtsm is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:35 pm
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ORD
Posts: 14,300
Autofill is built into the desktop browser extension.

I think for mobile browsers you're supposed to use either the Lastpass app (which has a browser built in) or the javascript bookmarklets. The bookmarklets work fine, but seem to have a short timeout on when they log you out, which is annoying. I usually just copy the relevant password from the LP app and paste it.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:24 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: DEN
Posts: 1,962
Originally Posted by dtsm
For Lastpass seniors, a few questions:

1. Autofill with iOS app - does it work for multiple browsers, eg safari, chrome and firefox. Does any particular browser work better? Does it autofill for any other non-browser apps?
No. For iPad, iPhone etc, Lastpass installs its own browser, and will autofill if you're using that. For non-browser apps, you have to copy and paste the password.

When you launch the Lastpass app you search for a given entry. When you touch the entry, you're given a pop up menu that includes "Launch" (ie, in the Lastpass browser), "Copy password", "Show password". So the copy password is pretty easy. I was annoyed about having to copy and paste the password into non-browser apps, but I've gotten used to it.

Originally Posted by dtsm
3. Assume you can use Lastpass autofill function on multiple devices with one license, eg iPhone, iPad and MacBook or is a separate subscription required for each device?

Many thanks...
Only 1 subscription is needed for multiple devices.
Katja is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:35 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tri-State Area
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by Katja
No. For iPad, iPhone etc, Lastpass installs its own browser, and will autofill if you're using that. For non-browser apps, you have to copy and paste the password.
Got it thanks. Note, just read they released android app premium pkgr that autofills to chrome...
dtsm is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:09 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
MyIDkey seems to be a game changer for me. But I still have not used it so I cannot comment more.
janter is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:09 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Posts: 5,537
If you have not used it, what has it "game changed" for you?

Is it that it has made you think that you might start using a password manager, or that you might consider changing from one you are using?
antichef is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:46 am
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: source of weird and eccentric ideas
Posts: 38,815
I've been using keepassx and its derivatives. It runs on everything and I think is highly secure. I have to use the cut and paste method. But it's a huge improvement since I started this thread a couple of years ago.
richard is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:43 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Posts: 297
Been using LastPass for a month now. Good, end up having the first tab in FF open with LastPass and just clicking the bookmarks from there.
tkflyer is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:08 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by antichef
If you have not used it, what has it "game changed" for you?

Is it that it has made you think that you might start using a password manager, or that you might consider changing from one you are using?
I tend not to trust 3rd parties online with my passwords. The item I mentioned allows me to securely handle my passwords offline.
janter is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:22 pm
  #74  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 12,729
Originally Posted by richard
I've been using keepassx and its derivatives. It runs on everything and I think is highly secure. I have to use the cut and paste method. But it's a huge improvement since I started this thread a couple of years ago.
There's a Minikeepass app for iOS. Looks nice, you store your passwords locally or use Dropbox to share files if you also want to store on desktop.

Better than services which you have to keep paying for.
wco81 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:30 am
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: source of weird and eccentric ideas
Posts: 38,815
Originally Posted by wco81
There's a Minikeepass app for iOS. Looks nice, you store your passwords locally or use Dropbox to share files if you also want to store on desktop.

Better than services which you have to keep paying for.
Yes, I use this on my iPad and iPhone. It works pretty well. I share the encrypted file amongst my other computers. It uses dropbox, but since it is so encrypted, I don't think it's a security risk.
richard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.