Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

help me find a great password manager

help me find a great password manager

Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Has 'dashlane' hired forum spam bots?!

This sudden influx of newbies promoting it certainly makes me wonder...
I'd been wondering the same thing.

Looks like a comparable product to LastPass.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
+1 for keepass... it is open source, free, multiplatform... keep my file in a dropbox folder and I can access it from any of my PCs, my iPhone or Android Tablet...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver, HH Gold, Amex Platinum
Thumbs up

Totally adore 1Password. Don't know how I lived without it. I use it across all of my Mac devices and it hasn't failed me yet. I use Dropbox also to sync/store.

Secondary: Using double authentication with all Google services.

I'm pretty locked down...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
I've used a few, but I really prefer LastPass.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, hyatt platimum,best western diamond elite
thank you
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Revisiting this topic, as my requirements are slightly different than OP:

• An iPhone app that stores data locally (i.e. on my iPhone) with remote backup. There are times when I need access to my passwords but I can't (e.g. on a plane) or don't (e.g. Starbucks) want to sync over a network.
  • A program that I can access from both my iPhone and from my browser, e.g. evernote. Has to be usable in Explorer and Chrome or Safari or Firefox.
  • Preferable if it comes with fields for different types of data, i.e. website usernames/passwords, banks, FF #s, etc.

Based on my research (reviews), I've narrowed the choice to:
  • 1Password ($65 for both Mac and iphone/pad)
  • Datavault ($10 all access)
  • mSecure ($30 all access)

Any thoughts?

BONUS: Are there any password managers that will autofill iphone apps? I guess that is too much to ask as it would require the App, i.e. Chase Bank to interact with the password program, which they understandably would decline. I am not talking about website autofill which many browsers can do.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Revisiting this topic, as my requirements are slightly different than OP:

• An iPhone app that stores data locally (i.e. on my iPhone) with remote backup. There are times when I need access to my passwords but I can't (e.g. on a plane) or don't (e.g. Starbucks) want to sync over a network.
  • A program that I can access from both my iPhone and from my browser, e.g. evernote. Has to be usable in Explorer and Chrome or Safari or Firefox.
  • Preferable if it comes with fields for different types of data, i.e. website usernames/passwords, banks, FF #s, etc.

Based on my research (reviews), I've narrowed the choice to:
  • 1Password(Pro?)
  • Datavault
  • mSecure

Any thoughts?

BONUS: Are there any password managers that will autofill iphone apps? I guess that is too much to ask as it would require the App, i.e. Chase Bank to interact with the password program, which they understandably would decline. I am not talking about website autofill which many browsers can do.

LastPass does everything you ask, except the bonus. I just go into the LastPass app, copy my password, and paste it into the app.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:08 am

1password recently updated but users need to pay so haven't tried it. But I use it seamlessly with my browsers on MacBook and imac

For my iPad n iPhone, used mSecure, just easier to access.

If I had to pick one, it would be 1Password
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am pulling the trigger on 1password as both the Mac and App version are 50% off during macworld.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
What's wrong with keeping everything in a small Excel file and cutting and pasting as needed? I realise this would be a pain on a phone/pad, but for desktop use it seems sufficient.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by aster
What's wrong with keeping everything in a small Excel file and cutting and pasting as needed? I realise this would be a pain on a phone/pad, but for desktop use it seems sufficient.
If you're 100% sure of the security of your computer (both physical access to it and software/network-wise), there's nothing wrong with it. If you're even a tiny bit less than 100%, I'd at least password-protect the excel document, and really, the simpler programs are just a better grade of encryption around the excel (and often a fairly good password generator built in.)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by aster
Or writing all your passwords on a 3x5 card and taping it under your keyboard?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Katja
Or writing all your passwords on a 3x5 card and taping it under your keyboard?
Might be difficult to fit 100+ passwords there, and would certainly be impossible to cut&paste them.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:58 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
+1 for mSecure. I've been using it on all my Macs/devices for years and it's never failed me (yet). Easy to sync and very simple/organized interface.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
+1 for 1Password - though it is a bit pricey I use it across all my Windows PC's, Mac and iDevices. I also installed the browser add-on for chrome/firefox which works really well.

I sync it all via dropbox

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.