Reload this Page >

Samsung Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5

Samsung Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5

Old Sep 23, 12, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Talking Samsung Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5

Hi,

My household uses all iPads/iPhones and I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5. I love it, but find the screen size kinda small. I read a lot of PDFs for work and find I have to zoom in and move from side to side to read, which is cumbersome. Also a lot of emails are sent in a format where the text doesn't wrap properly to my designated font size, instead it stays small and again I have to zoom in. Same problem with non-mobile web pages. I have other minor desires such as ability to set switches for bluetooth right on the home screen, data updates directly on the homescreen, etc, and I know from my brother's experience that Android can do this.

However I am very happy with the stability and bulletproofness of IOS. I also like the variety of high quality paid and free apps and media available through iTunes. However I found most of my most used apps available on the Google marketplace. I'm not as sure about music/movies/TV shows. I have heard Android can be unstable, buggy requiring resets, and that there is malware and apps are able to download private information (IOS 6 has privacy controls for contacts, calendar etc).

If anyone has switched from IOS to the Note or S3 (Note 2 and RAZR HD MAXX are coming out soon), I would love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 12, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Maybe wait for the smaller iPad? Not as big as the regular one so you should be able to take it to work in addition to your phone. And with 3G/4G you can also receive mails etc., just not call.
I own a 4S and still find iOS superior to Android. It is indeed not very customizable but very intuitive and indeed stable and secure.
Old Sep 23, 12, 3:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I've been an iPhone user for almost four years, and decided to switch to Android (or at least try it before committing to the iPhone 5 for another two years) so bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 on a new Verizon contract. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4, integrated with Google Voice - and the Google integration on Android was a big draw for me.

I really liked the phone overall and enjoyed the extra screen size. It's a pleasure to use Chrome on this thing, and everything flies. I found the general refinement of Android Ice Cream Sandwich just as good as iOS 5.1. After a while, though, it was a pain to hold that phone and perform my usual tasks (and I have fairly large hands). I guess I much prefer one-handed operation and the iPhone 5 should be just right.

The two biggest downsides were Exchange email and Google Voice integration. I bought Enhanced Email which was touted as one of the best alternatives on Android (along with Touchdown) for Exchange server emails, and it's just ok - not nearly as nice to use as iOS. I setup multiple accounts, but cannot reply from one account while viewing another - a big hassle for me. I didn't want push enabled, and so it takes a couple of extra clicks to check my email everytime (iOS just automatically refreshes when you load the app).

Google Voice integrates with the phone reasonably well (besides a Samsung bug that shows the GV "interim" number instead of your contact's number in your recently called list). But I couldn't get SMS integrated (might have to root it, and even then I read posts about a specific "SMS GV integrator" app causing problems) so that was a non-starter.

Another deal-killer was the lack of Spotlight-like search; I hated not being able to just type in a few letters of an app or Contact at the home screen, really slows things down and is the way I most use my iPhone.

Samsung's "enhancements" like double-tap-to-scroll-to-the-top didn't work reliably (or at all in some apps), "stare detection" or whatever it's called made the screen dim and brighten oddly.

The little usability hassles were enough for me to return the phone; as much as I liked reading stuff on the bigger screen, it really was a pain to do stuff the way I like. For me, a jailbroken iPhone is perfect.

A little long, but hope this helps.
Old Sep 23, 12, 8:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by CatJo View Post
I setup multiple accounts, but cannot reply from one account while viewing another - a big hassle for me. I didn't want push enabled, and so it takes a couple of extra clicks to check my email everytime (iOS just automatically refreshes when you load the app).
On my S3 I use the stock mail app for my work e-mail and the Gmail app for my personal gmail account. I prefer it that way since I can tell from glancing at the notification banner at the top whether I have a personal or work e-mail message (since each program has a different notification icon.) I haven't seen any Android e-mail apps as elegant looking as iOS Mail. But I haven't found it to be a big deal though and, on the plus side, I can read and delete messages much quicker on the S3 than my old IP4 or iPad 3. Not turning on push (on supported accounts) is just silly IMO.

I haven't had any problems with SMS on Google Voice but I'm a light texter. I also never used the Spotlight search on my iPhone so I don't miss that feature. The gimmicky Samsung features do not got me excited but you can just ignore them or turn them off. It's not like Apple doesn't tout some pretty useless features as well. The 4.8" screen on the S3 is just amazing and I really doubt I could be happy with a 4" screen at this point. The youtube vidoes I've seen comparing the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 show them basically equal in speed for everyday tasks.

Last edited by Dunbar; Sep 23, 12 at 8:33 pm
Old Sep 24, 12, 3:42 am

ive been using the S2 and i have to admit i really like the big screen phones! lot of my friends have the Note and the text and graphics look great on them, maybe my eyes are getting old and bad but i think i will get the Note 2 when my contract runs out in Dec! the games are better to play with too, and nice to have when you are traveling often.
Old Sep 24, 12, 1:10 pm

There are some things that just seem to require an extra key-press or step; like when you get a notification of a new email/text, you need to swipe down the notification area and can then press to launch the required app - with iOS, you can just swipe on the notification when it comes in and go directly to the app.

In the Twitter app, when you want to "save" a link in a tweet, you're presented with what seems like an endless list of apps on your device that you can use - while this open functionality of Android can be a plus, it's still a pain when all I want to do is send that link to my Instapaper/Read It Later account. I don't want to open up the app and tell it to save the link; in iOS, one click on the "Read Later" choice and it's done.

The removal of the local search feature by Samsung was unfortunate; that's very useful for me. I keep my most-used apps on the home screen, and then search (with just 2-3 letters usually) for the rest on the occasions I need the others; far more efficient than wading through a whole list of installed apps (in no order).

Again, just little inefficiencies or touches of refinement that made me prefer my iOS setup over Android on the S3. They're both very capable phones, and hard to go wrong with either - I'm no fanboy and was ready to make the switch but ended up with valid issues. The hassle with Google Voice is just plain stupid, and hard to believe that Android can't integrate better out of the box.
Old Sep 24, 12, 1:14 pm

I don't like android personally no doubt android have more free apps as well big in amount than the apple store. I don't like it due to malware it hang the mobile as well.
Old Sep 24, 12, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Thanks everyone, this was really helpful. As it turns out a friend has an extra activated Note that I can borrow for a few weeks and compare. This is a tough decision.
Old Sep 24, 12, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by sithjedi333 View Post
As it turns out a friend has an extra activated Note that I can borrow for a few weeks and compare. This is a tough decision.
That's really the only way to be sure - you have to spend some time with these devices to see what works for you. As I said, hard to go wrong with either OS.

I just picked up my new iPhone 5 a few hours ago, loving it (though sure wouldn't have minded if the screen was just a little bigger - not quite Galaxy S3 size, but close )
Old Sep 24, 12, 9:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by sithjedi333 View Post

I have heard Android can be unstable, buggy requiring resets, and that there is malware and apps are able to download private information (IOS 6 has privacy controls for contacts, calendar etc).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-ids-fbi.html

Iphone security is not bullet proof, and be sure whatever Apple comes up with somebody else is working to break it, just like very operating system.
Old Sep 25, 12, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by CatJo View Post
There are some things that just seem to require an extra key-press or step; like when you get a notification of a new email/text, you need to swipe down the notification area and can then press to launch the required app - with iOS, you can just swipe on the notification when it comes in and go directly to the app.
I don't know many people who think notifications are handled better in iOS (Apple basically copied Android notifications with iOS5.) I have a notification LED on my S3 and full access to the notification area from the lock screen. Once Jelly Bean is released you'll be able to read entire messages from the notification area and take actions without having to go to the app. The one cool feature of iOS is that it lights up the lock screen with up to 5 notifications. That's useful if the phone is sitting next to you, and you notice it, but that's the only area I think iOS is better than Android in notifications. And you can probably download an app on Android to do something similar.

BTW, Samsung removed universal search because it was part of a lawsuit settlement with Apple. I use an iPad 3 so I get to compare both OS's on a regular basis. I don't personally think iOS has a significant lead over Android anymore and consumers have many different phones to choose from with Android so they can pick a phone that meets their particular needs.

Last edited by Dunbar; Sep 25, 12 at 1:41 pm
Old Sep 25, 12, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I LOVE my iPad. I have tried iPhones several times but they just can't compare to Androids IMHO. I currently have an HTC with a large screen 4.7 I think? but have been lusting after the Note recently since my sister got one and I played with it. WoW, I loved that thing. It seems so much bigger than my HTC...

I would probably sell the iPad and use only that if I had one! Only thing is, I spent $549 less than a year ago for the HTC. Makes it really hard to justify paying that again for the Note but......
Old Sep 25, 12, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
BTW, Samsung removed universal search because it was part of a lawsuit settlement with Apple.
I finally received an ICS upgrade on my SII, then a small update that supposedly addressed some battery issues. I still have local search, though. I wonder if declining further updates would work if someone really didn't want to lose that feature.
Old Sep 25, 12, 8:39 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors, Marriott, SPG == Gold.
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-ids-fbi.html

Iphone security is not bullet proof, and be sure whatever Apple comes up with somebody else is working to break it, just like very operating system.
Just as point of clarity, the IDs were stolen from an app developer, not the FBI. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ap...eloper-655666/
Having the IDs does not really mean anything though.

However, a jailbreak is an exploit of a security flaw in IOS. jailbreaking an IOS device opens up the device to an unsandboxed app store, that MAY permit malware to be installed. Neither IOS or Android is really bulletproof, it is all about risk mitigation.

Back on topic, OP how about a Kindle fire/Nook tablet in addition to your current phone? Smaller than an iPad bigger than iPhone. But it does mean you have to carry two devices.
Old Sep 26, 12, 12:40 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 ADVANTAGES:

> It has a removable battery. I find it easier to carry an extra battery or two than worry about charging. Also, if I keep the device for more than a year, swapping the battery for a new one eliminates the harm of cycling. Apple restricts you to one battery.

> It has removable memory. I put most of my stuff on the cloud, but if I ever need to make data portable (give someone my card to share videos, for example) or I change my mind later and want more capacity, I love that I can cheaply customize the amount of onboard memory. Apple restricts you to set memory.

> Google Maps. They are incredible. Accurate and feature-rich with tools like Street View. Apple's maps, as is now well-known, are terrible.

> Google Now. It is everything Siri aspired to be. I am just getting more familiar with it and like it more and more. On my drive home this evening, it alerted me about traffic delays despite the fact I wasn't even using it for navigation.

> Smooth, simple integration and automatic syncing/backup with all other Google products. Google Music, Drive, Picasa, Gmail... I never need to worry about sending files from one device to another, backing up, syncing. And it's all free and simple out of the box.

> NFC. Not super-common, especially not where I live, but I use it when I travel and I see it becoming more common. If only Verizon would allow Google Wallet back. The iPhone lacks NFC.

> Blazing fast processor. Fastest phone on the market, despite having been out for 4 months. The iPhone 5 is very fast too, but not as fast.

> Blazing fast OS. Can run Android 4.1, the fastest OS on the market. Also happens to be incredibly smooth and simple/intuitive - more so than anything else I've used.

> Customizable. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that, while great out of the box, if you want to put time into perfecting the layout and configuration to suit your needs, you can tweak virtually everything with ease. I can't imagine having to be locked into one layout as you are with the iPhone because of how much that would slow me down.

> Micro USB charger that is cheap and adapted to a plethora of other devices. The proprietary Apple charger is an extra cost and can't be used elsewhere.

> Even with added memory, the S3 is slightly cheaper than the iPhone 5.

Just imagine what the next iteration will be like when it comes out in a couple months!

IPHONE 5 ADVANTAGES:

> If you're already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and find it difficult to change, this will make it easier to keep everything integrated and all-Apple. You'll pay more for a phone that does less, but you stick with what you know, and that's nice.

> If display specs (the iPhone 5 has the best ones in some respects, though lacks in others) and media capture are of primary importance, the iPhone 5 stands out.

> Predictability. Apple keeps everything "one size fits all", so if you want to know what to expect and you want others to be able to handle your phone (and vice versa) with ease, the iPhone works in your favor. Also, because Apple doesn't release new phones very often, you'll get to know your iPhone very well. This is a disadvantage in the sense that competing phones will get even better while your phone will remain stagnant, but again, some people don't like the pressure of having changing options to choose from.

> Smaller screen. A disadvantage to most, but actually an advantage for the people who don't browse/navigate as much and prefer a smaller profile to a bigger screen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: