Samsung Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List
The S3 is closer to 3-4 months old. No S4 until 2Q or 3Q 2013 most likely. There's a Google Nexus phone rumored for later this year. Also the HTC has an upgraded HTC One X+ model that should be released by years end. The main knock on the One X was the 1GB of RAM and their Android skin, HTC Sense, not being as good as Samsung's Touchwiz. The upgrade doesn't add any RAM and until HTC pushes out Jelly Bean we won't know if HTC Sense has improved.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by planemechanic
No, you said "you lose youtube and google maps". And that is quite clearly a LIE, and now you are backpedaling on it.
Again, No, you lied by saying you lose access to youtube, and you don't. You can access it through the app or through the browser. You LIED.
The only lie here is your misquoting. Please quote me saying that iOS 6 prohibits you from accessing YouTube or alternative maps. I said no such thing - you are blatantly making it up. If not, prove me wrong - it's easy to quote me on here.

Here's precisely what I said:

"iOS 6 placed on an iPhone 4 (the latest iPhone just 1 year ago) will lack Siri, YouTube, and good maps."

That's not a lie, over-reaction, nor anything of the sort. It's the same thing a plethora of news articles and Apple themselves have explained: iOS6 removes YouTube and Google Maps. As Tim Cook prodded users to do publicly, you can *easily* download third-party applications to fill the void, including putting YouTube right back on there. It isn't hard to do; rather, it just means that the iPhone won't "just work right out of the box" until you first take these steps.

Originally Posted by sard
My 2 biggest concerns with the s3 is:
1. A bit too big
2. Its almost 6 months old. Isn't 6 months ancient when it comes to cell phones?
1) At least in the near-term all of the high-end Android phones will continue to have screens the size of the S3's or maybe even bigger. If you don't mind all the trade-offs, you might want to buy an iPhone 5, as it's the only high-end phone with a screen in the range it seems you like.

2) The Galaxy Nexus is 6 months old; the S3 is more like 4 months old. They are definitely old by phone standards, but that's a testament to how far ahead Android phones are. Despite its age, the S3 still outperforms the IP5 and has none of the major headaches, deficiencies, and bugs. It "just works", is simple, and you can even get it with more memory for less money.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
You said "Just as iOS 6 placed on an iPhone 4 (the latest iPhone just 1 year ago) will lack Siri, YouTube, and good maps."

I wouldn't call that lying, but it is rather over the top overreaction, for something readily re-added via the market
mooper has been called on this misinformation before in other threads. The first time is a slip, or poorly worded, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times it is a lie.

He likes to be the anti-Apple propagandist in chief. As with all good propaganda it includes some measure of truth sprinkled with a heavy dose of falsehoods. He want to make it out as if you simply cannot access youtube or google maps from an iPhone 5, and gets called on it, simply to move to another thread and post the same lies again and again.

There is a reasonable debate to be had about Apple's motivations for removing the included apps, but to simply post lie after lie about their newest phone and OS is simply wrong.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:38 pm

mooper has been called on this misinformation before in other threads. The first time is a slip, or poorly worded, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times it is a lie.
As I suggest above in my previous post, you should quote one of my many "lies". Just copy/paste the purported "lie" from whatever thread you're referring to. Can't wait.

You should be aware this isn't OMNI and the ad hominem isn't making your case. I'm citing facts instead of making gratuitous "propaganda" assertions, and you might do well to try the same approach.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:40 pm

Anyone bring popcorn to this movie?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
He want to make it out as if you simply cannot access youtube or google maps from an iPhone 5, and gets called on it, simply to move to another thread and post the same lies again and again.
How do you get Google Maps on an iPhone (whether 4, like his example or 4S/5) iOS 5? "The browser" is a useless experience on a screen that small and neither Apple nor Google is saying what the hold up on a downloadable app is.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:06 pm

How do you get Google Maps on an iPhone (whether 4, like his example or 4S/5) iOS 5? "The browser" is a useless experience on a screen that small and neither Apple nor Google is saying what the hold up on a downloadable app is.
You shouldn't ask him other questions yet; it will distract him quoting my "lie" about YouTube, and he's going to need all his concentration to come up with it.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
As I suggest above in my previous post, you should quote one of my many "lies". Just copy/paste the purported "lie" from whatever thread you're referring to. Can't wait.

You should be aware this isn't OMNI and the ad hominem isn't making your case. I'm citing facts instead of making gratuitous "propaganda" assertions, and you might do well to try the same approach.
I don't bother showing your the same evidence time and time again, you are too blind to see it, try to smooth it over and say it doesn't say what you clearly wrote.

You should be aware that you will be called out on your lies.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can put a home screen book mark to Google maps on your iPhone running iOS 6. I have it, and it works. Google is saying, they don't have an app ready, probably because they thought Apple would wait until the remaining year of their contract expired. Google was caught unprepared.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:59 pm

I don't bother showing your the same evidence time and time again.
Nor even once. As we expected.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
Nor even once. As we expected.
Nope, not once, but at least a dozen times. As I said, you are blind on this issue. Others have seen it and called you on it as well, but you are blind to them also.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Swipe is great, as is ability to toggle functions like bluetooth and wifi from the swipe down menu or the home screen. I also like being able to look at updated weather there too. However even though this is running ICS, it's seriously laggy. My primary purpose is to read through emails quickly and every time I move to a new email or delete it, the hourglass/rotating circle thing shows up. Also there are lags when I'm just trying to scroll through an email, a list, or select messages to delete.

Maybe I should Jailbreak.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Nope, not once, but at least a dozen times. As I said, you are blind on this issue. Others have seen it and called you on it as well, but you are blind to them also.
It seems as if you are the blind one in this thread.

Mooper has added fairly good content into this thread, and you seem to only have come into this thread to attack him, rather than discussing the topic at hand.

All of the posts in this thread save yours have been productive and useful. Too bad you had to take this off topic and turn it into a personal attack against mooper.

mooper - you're by far the better person for not attacking back and ignoring this nonsense.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
It seems as if you are the blind one in this thread.

Mooper has added fairly good content into this thread, and you seem to only have come into this thread to attack him, rather than discussing the topic at hand.

All of the posts in this thread save yours have been productive and useful. Too bad you had to take this off topic and turn it into a personal attack against mooper.

mooper - you're by far the better person for not attacking back and ignoring this nonsense.
Feel free to read his long running tirade in Omni.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by sithjedi333
Swipe is great, as is ability to toggle functions like bluetooth and wifi from the swipe down menu or the home screen. I also like being able to look at updated weather there too. However even though this is running ICS, it's seriously laggy. My primary purpose is to read through emails quickly and every time I move to a new email or delete it, the hourglass/rotating circle thing shows up. Also there are lags when I'm just trying to scroll through an email, a list, or select messages to delete.
I ran Swype on an ICS phone a while back and didn't experience substantial lag. Which phone are you running it on? Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) speeds things up, but I'm curious if you're pushing things with older hardware. You could also try hard-resetting the phone to see if there's another issue happening that the reset clears up.

With the default Android keyboard being extremely fast and refined in JB, I now prefer it to Swype anyway.

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Feel free to read his long running tirade in Omni.
The OMNI thread is titled, "Does Anyone Else Hate Apple?", where it is appropriate to discuss personal opinion more openly. However, it's much the same in there. I actually don't hate Apple at all; I think there are more logical choices for most (not all) people, so I try to present facts to make this point.

It may be disconcerting to some, but the 1-2 punch of the S3 and Nexus 7 have caused a large divergence in both Android/iOS market share and GOOG/AAPL stock performance over the past quarter, especially over the latest month coinciding with the IP5 release. This stands in stark contrast to how Apple excelled until early 2012. Was the loss of Steve Jobs to blame? I don't know, but consumers are realizing that there are cheaper and yet superior alternatives to the Apple products which have lost their luster. The iPhone 5 is perhaps the clearest example of this, rife with defects and deficiencies that cause it to no longer "just work" like most of their previous products, leading consumers to flee to Android in droves. Rumors are floating that Apple might accelerate the release of the iPhone 6 to next summer in an attempt to make a comeback, but by then, the S3's successor, the S4, will have been released. The S4 is expected to be unfathomably good and should be out very early next year, so an IP6 next summer might be too late for Apple.

Last edited by mooper; Oct 6, 2012 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.