Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Unlocked Iphone 5 - In Hong Kong on 21. Sept. 2012

Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be travelling through Hong Kong airport on September 21st.
Ideally I'd be abe to purchase two unlocked iPhone 5 at the airport. I have seven hours before my connecting flight to New Zealand - this means that I could leave the airport and get the iPhone 5 somewhere else in HK.

Any insight and input would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to hearing back from you,
Bixi
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't even bother trying. I don't know what lines are like outside any of the Apple Stores or resellers in Hong Kong, but Apple is only committing to having a "limited supply" available by the 21st.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Dirt
Don't bother. Chances are, Apple Store HK will reuse the same reservation-pickup system they had during the release of the iPhone 4S and the iPad 3. No one will be able to queue up outside the Apple Store and purchase a device.

See: http://micgadget.com/23550/apple-vs-...ew-ipad-video/

Other electronics stores like Fortress and Broadway may sell them first-come-first-serve, but you can bet on the queue already there one day in advance. There is no realistic way that you will be able to get anything on a 7 hour stopover.

Finally, that leaves the gray market resellers at Sintat and other shopping arcades. They will price the product sky high given how new Apple products always have high demand.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by msb0b
Don't bother. Chances are, Apple Store HK will reuse the same reservation-pickup system they had during the release of the iPhone 4S and the iPad 3. No one will be able to queue up outside the Apple Store and purchase a device.
I don't remember where I read it but did see article indicating they would use the order on-line and then go pick up at store.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I appreciate your thoughts. I better wait until the iPhone 5 becomes availabel in New Zealand. Take care, Bixi
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:27 pm

Free iPhone 5 Giveaway

If you are only stopping through HK for 7 hours tomorrow I dont think there is any chance of picking up the iPhone 5 like other people have said. Even if you were here the whole day getting your hands on one this week might prove a bit difficult.

There will be massive ques at the Apple store and other authorised dealers.. the unauthorised ones will be marking the phones up by a couple hundred US$ just because they can, people will still buy.

I want an iPhone 5 but I am going to be patient until it's a little easier to get one.. until then, I have my fingers crossed for this free giveaway that I signed up for: http://www.localiiz.com/giveaway
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Or find a friend across the Tasman who lives near an Apple store ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.