Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Voicemail Notification to Another Phone - Is There an App?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

I have just started a new job that has issued me an iPhone 4S (Verizon). My personal phone is a Galaxy Nexus (T-Mobile). I don't want to give up my personal phone since I would prefer to keep my personal stuff away from work stuff. I don't really want to carry two phones all the time - especially during non-working hours.

Is there an iPhone app I could install (or even Verizon VM feature) that would send a text message to my personal phone if someone leaves me a voicemail? With such an app I could just leave the iPhone in my laptop bag but still know if someone left me an urgent message after normal business hours.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use Google Voice as your voicemail provider?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You could do a busy no answer transfer after three to six rings. It won't really do what you want as it will send any calls you don't answer, but this way you won't be missing any urgent calls.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Turn on conditional call forwarding on your work phone during non-work hours and forward it to Google Voice. You can set Google Voice up to e-mail you the voicemails which you can listen to on your personal phone. To the people calling your work phone it sounds exactly like normal voicemail.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Turn on conditional call forwarding on your work phone during non-work hours and forward it to Google Voice. You can set Google Voice up to e-mail you the voicemails which you can listen to on your personal phone. To the people calling your work phone it sounds exactly like normal voicemail.
How can I do this? The Verizon (CDMA) iPhone does not have a call forward setting. You set it by dialing *72xxx-xxx-xxxx and #73 to turn it off. The calls forward immediately without ringing the iPhone or even showing a missed call.

I'm used to Android where it is a simple matter of changing the voicemail number in a settings menu. Is this a GSM vs. CDMA issue?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I figured out a partial solution. *71xxx-xxx-xxxx changes your voicemail number on Verizon.

I have a partial solution working:

1. Set up a new google voice account and e-mail.
2. Added both my work phone and personal phone into the google voice settings.
3. Personal phone is set to receive text message notifications of voicemails.
4. Work phone is not set to receive notifications, but I have installed the GV app.
5. *71'd my new GV number into my work phone.

If I call my iPhone, after four rings it transfers to Google Voicemail. If a message is left, I get a text notification on my personal phone and a GV app notification on the work phone.

I don't see any way to make this selective by business hours, but it is not a big deal to get the occasional extra text throught the day.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
I don't see any way to make this selective by business hours, but it is not a big deal to get the occasional extra text throught the day.
I don't know of any way to automate it on an iPhone. On Android you could probably use Tasker to automate it. You could just (manually) turn on conditional call forwarding when you leave work and turn it off while at work. Set up a contact for the *71 part of it to make it quicker to turn on.

BTW, conditional call forwarding just means it only forwards calls when you miss a call or reject it. It doesn't change your voicemail number.

Last edited by Dunbar; Aug 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I figured out a partial solution. *71xxx-xxx-xxxx changes your voicemail number on Verizon.
*71 is just call forwarding for busy or not answered calls. By forwarding your calls they never get to verizon voice mail, but it doesn't actually change the voicemail number. If you send it to your iphone and answer it the caller never gets voicemail.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
*71 is just call forwarding for busy or not answered calls. By forwarding your calls they never get to verizon voice mail, but it doesn't actually change the voicemail number. If you send it to your iphone and answer it the caller never gets voicemail.
The iPhone is forwarding to my Google Voice number, which is configured to go straight to voicemail. The iPhone rings four times, then transfers to GV for the caller to leave a message. GV then raises a notification through the GV app on the iPhone and also sends a text message to my Galaxy Nexus. It will even transcribe the message.

I saved the GV number in my Galaxy Contacts as "iPhone Voicemail", so I get a text message that reads:

iPhone Voicemail
You've got a new voicemail from (123) 456-7890. Transcript: yada yada yada...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:26 am

GV then raises a notification through the GV app on the iPhone and also sends a text message to my Galaxy Nexus. It will even transcribe the message.
You can install the Google Voice app on your Galaxy Nexus and set it up to give you text-like notifications when new voicemails (and texts) are received. The notifications aren't quite as quick as a text message in my experience. I have mine set up to e-mail me a copy of the voicemail as well.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Dunbar
You can install the Google Voice app on your Galaxy Nexus and set it up to give you text-like notifications when new voicemails (and texts) are received. The notifications aren't quite as quick as a text message in my experience. I have mine set up to e-mail me a copy of the voicemail as well.
Yeah..this is the best option....But i would like to know what Google has in mind for Google Voice? I haven't seen any new features for a long time...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:42 pm

I use a service called hullomail its about Ł12 a year in the UK, but it appears there is a US service, sounds like it does what you need. take a look

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.