Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

American traveling to London - which phone to take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American traveling to London - which phone to take?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Hmmm.... I'd prefer to describe it as "phone plans are crazy expensive in North America" ..... except France which I would describe as remaining difficult due to their relatively closed market.
You can add Belgium to that as well, unless you know where to look.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
Find out what the US calling rate is. Many low cost UK voice/data PAYG have a very high US calling rate.
In the UK, most (all?) of the mobile operators will give you access to very cheap US calls by opting into a free service. You usually send a text to a certain number to enable it. I usually pay 3-5p / min to call the US from a UK PAYG mobile, much cheaper than calling a UK landline!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by pacer142
Which is (hence the reason for free incoming calls) often a fair bit more than a call to a UK landline. Internationally it used to be the same but carriers are wising up to that.

Neil
Yes, most carriers and international calling services are now able to differentiate between landline and mobile numbers in each country. Usually they charge you more if you dial a mobile number.

You'll notice however that some of the networks / services proudly advertise that they charge same rate for landline and mobiles in particular countries. When you look closer, you will find, funnily enough, that this is only in a country like the USA where it's not possible to tell if a number is a mobile number, or a landline number, just from looking at the number itself. Whereas most countries have a different set of dialling prefixes for area codes, for their mobiles, such as mobile numbers generally begin with "07..." for UK-based mobiles, so the number can be identified as a mobile number so there is a way to charge you more to dial mobiles in most countries but not US mobiles as they can't be easily identified.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Aug 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:21 am

I' m using a SIM from three. It offers 300 minutes of UK talktime, 3000 sms and the best, unlimited data for 30 days , all for 15 pounds or $20
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uppereastff
I' m using a SIM from three. It offers 300 minutes of UK talktime, 3000 sms and the best, unlimited data for 30 days , all for 15 pounds or $20
This is awesome. Will it work in an unlocked at&t iphone?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alan19
As long as it supports 3G. 3 is 3G only.

I used this plan and SIM when I was in the UK a few weeks ago. DOwnload Talkatone and use the unlimited data to make free calls to/from the US via Google Voice.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by JTbeatsNYC
I am traveling to London next week and am trying to decide the cheapest way to use a cell phone to call both UK and US cells while in London.

I own both an iPhone 4 and Blackberry Storm 2. My carrier is VERIZON.

Also, what are tips regarding receiving and sending emails, and using social media apps (fbook, twitter, etc)?

I want to keep costs as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance.
Probably best to just buy a low end smartphone from somewhere like Carphone Warehouse on the high street. They were recently selling the Nokia 710 for Ł99 + prepaid SIM and topup. That''s a lot of phone for the money! There are Android alternatives too.

Do your research though - there are bargains to be had on the British market at the moment. You could end up with something well worth taking home for use on future trips.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:38 pm

Yes and even more awesome, I was able to use my phone as a WiFI hotspot to connect my iPad and Macbook air.I then used my mac to mac skype calld snd downloaded video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.