Flight path question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles- GM, Hilton HHonors- Gold
Flight path question

I was on this flight today-

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/F...810Z/KMSP/KDSM

and it looks like we went WAY out of the way to get to DSM. Normally it's a straight up and down shot, but for some reason we had to fly over LaCrosse to get to Des Moines. I know Flightaware puts the radar on the map at the time of the flight so if there were storms to fly around, I'd understand.

This just looks like the pilots thought we were going somewhere else and then were reminded they had to go to DSM!

Any ideas as to why this would happen?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It looks like the flight plan was filed for this route so it was deliberate. Very possible that there was some sort of airspace restriction in force at the time (military training, etc.) that resulted in the fairly long detour.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles- GM, Hilton HHonors- Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
It looks like the flight plan was filed for this route so it was deliberate. Very possible that there was some sort of airspace restriction in force at the time (military training, etc.) that resulted in the fairly long detour.
Thanks for the information. Very strange. I know the Iowa Air National Guard does a lot of drills out of DSM, but there have been times when we have taken off right after/before the fighter jets take off/land.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WallyInDSM
Thanks for the information. Very strange. I know the Iowa Air National Guard does a lot of drills out of DSM, but there have been times when we have taken off right after/before the fighter jets take off/land.
They're not blasting around with afterburners on doing crazy maneuvers when they're taking off and landing.

Tom Cruise never asks for clearance in Top Gun; air traffic control just keeps everyone not part of the exercise out of the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.