Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best unlocked android phone under $300?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
I hate to ignore the pricing request, but at $300, would it not make sense to spend $100 more to get a Galaxy Nexus? Can't really beat that with its pentaband support...
+1. Great phone aside from rather weak speaker.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Yes, the Samsung Captivate is a 850/1900/2100 MHZ 3G variant, made for AT&T, of the original Samsung Galaxy (which is 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G) in a slightly different physical format.

Not sure what you mean by "speed"? The UI is ultra-responsive, perhaps too fast, but I have been running custom ROMs since day 1. The development community for this model remains surprisingly active. It is running Android 4.0.4 and TouchWiz 4, albeit via a custom ROM.

It looks like the two model comparison shows the same PPI, but the Cappy does have a Super AMOLED screen which most find superior?

Battery life is acceptable for my usage patterns - typically charge at night and it last through the next day until bed-time.
By speed I mean UI responsiveness and general lack of pauses or lags.

Which ROM? I suppose I should spend some time at xda-developers.

According to the gsmarena review, the SE screen is as good as the Cappy when viewed straight on, but not when viewed at an angle.

Where are you seeing it at $199?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I hate to ignore the pricing request, but at $300, would it not make sense to spend $100 more to get a Galaxy Nexus? Can't really beat that with its pentaband support...
A very nice phone, but $400 is more than I want to spend given expected usage (largely for travel). Perhaps I'll see if it comes down much in the next couple of months.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the I9250, from Google add shipping and any applicable sales tax. From Expansys, $409.99, no sales tax (except for Illinois ship to), free shipping. There have been some "Buy-it-Now" sales on eBay for $399 all in (free shipping, no sales tax).

Now that T-Mo is re-farming AT&T's 1900 MHz the penta-band thing, specifically 1700 AWS, becomes less of a requirement?

There are some SGS2's (I9100) on eBay for $420 all in, The SGS2 is arguably a superior phone.

Agree that either would take you two years forward, through Jellybean, comfortably.
There are always going to be major areas not refarmed, and they don't have as many chunks in 1900 as in 1700, so capacity will be a problem.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
A definite +1. They go for about £320 in the UK and relatively speaking, that's still a bargain for what you get.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I'd just get the best phone you can. The unlocking is just another $10-15. The Google Nexus has a stock ROM so that's pretty fast. However, since you know about xda, then you're probably not shy about rooting and putting on custom ROMs.

The Samsung Galaxy 2 has a ton of ROMs, as does the HTC Sensation/Amaze. The Sensation has great specs but is priced lower than the SG2.

Or, if you want to spend a bit more, I'd get the international version of the HTC One X - with the Tegra 3 chip.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Or you could try the HTC desire Z, already 12-15 months old, but a great phone imho (the last android with a physical flip keyboard)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Or you could try the HTC desire Z, already 12-15 months old, but a great phone imho (the last android with a physical flip keyboard)
HTC is the cheapest among all the famous brands in android nowadays but perform well. I'm using HTC One X for last one month and loved this phone. Its beautifully designed phone. Its size is too big but I like its big screen and style. Its has fast having so many surprising features.

custom stickers
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

There are some SGS2's (I9100) on eBay for $420 all in, The SGS2 is arguably a superior phone.

Agree that either would take you two years forward, through Jellybean, comfortably.
What's the argument for the SGS2 being the superior phone? That the Nexus lacks an SD slot and that the SGS2 has somewhat better battery life? Also, the Nexus doesn't have gorilla glass and seems more prone to scratches or cracks?

Last edited by richarddd; Jun 17, 2012 at 4:47 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:43 am

If the OP is still looking at the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, it is on sale until 6/19 at 11:59pm PT at NewEgg for $269.99 when you use Promo Code EMCYTZT1774 - white only (black, silver, and blue are still regular price 299.99).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you. That is a rather nice price (I see it my daily newegg spam). I'm now leaning towards the Galaxy Nexus, which seems a much nicer phone, especially the screen size, resolution, ability to view other than straight on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.