World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kirimcd
cheers nkedel, that’s reassuring. So if size was no object, which router would you reccomend it terms of stability and ease of use (like the GL-AR750)?
There are very few preinstalled OpenWRT routers; there are quite a few powerful ones that run well with OpenWRT but I'm not sure I'd recommend the initial bring-up unless you're comfortable with the idea of configuring and debugging it. The GL.iNet models that have made up most of the discussion here are well regarded, but I haven't gotten around to picking one up, let alone the dual-band model (although that's probably what I'll pick up.)

I'd recommend against the very limited Hootoo that I picked up based on the much earlier thread; it runs well with OpenWRT but getting that installed is a pain (it doesn't have enough memory or storage [not sure which] to do the regular upload-and-install -- you have to use an external USB memory stick and install from there) and while I'm very happy with the pair of inexpensive TP-LINK routers I used at home (the "Archer C7" -- used to be pretty much the cheapest full-size AC-1700 router out there) which runs beautifully with OpenWRT it is not the easiest router to get working with OpenWRT.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:44 pm

The GL-MT300N is on sale for $21 delivered on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GL-MT300N-V...-/222619647189
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unmesh
The GL-MT300N is on sale for $21 delivered on Ebay
Doesn't seem like all that great a deal given that Amazon and others have it for $20.

Note that this is the Flash based model, not the NAND model (which is the GL-MT300M)

Last edited by docbert; Mar 30, 2018 at 5:56 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:56 pm

I'm on their mailing list and got something that said "lowest price ever, only on Ebay" etc
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:01 pm

Ok I lost my WL-330NUL. This is my second one, but alas St Regis butler service could not recover my router which I left plugged into the USB port.

Any suggestions? Seems like everything else is bigger these days.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by dmo580
Ok I lost my WL-330NUL. This is my second one, but alas St Regis butler service could not recover my router which I left plugged into the USB port.

Any suggestions? Seems like everything else is bigger these days.
Looks like there's a couple of WL-330NULs on eBay for $35-$40. But I highly recommend one of the GLi routers. Yes, bigger than the Asus, but a lot more flexible. For one, you're not stuck with a password that's printed on the device.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by penner42
For one, you're not stuck with a password that's printed on the device.
I have several devices which did this, and I find it hard to believe that is the single device where the default password/secret cannot be changed.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I have several devices which did this, and I find it hard to believe that is the single device where the default password/secret cannot be changed.
The supervisor code on the ASUS WL-330NUL cannot be changed short of a third party firmware, which isn't easy to install on this device. Note that this is not the WiFi password, but the administration password to manage the device. The SSID and password to join the wireless network can be changed, obviously.

Last edited by penner42; May 14, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

The supervisor code on the ASUS WL-330NUL cannot be changed ...
No kidding ... that is unusual then. Wow.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

The supervisor code on the ASUS WL-330NUL cannot be changed
I just got one of these used (for cheap) ... you're right- and yeah, I've never seen that before.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Since this thread is about 'smallest', I thought it might be worthwhile to share what I do.
I have a tiny USB WiFi device (http://a.co/dX16PkJ). It barley sticks out (maybe 1/4") so it just lives in one of my spare USB ports permanently.
I have Connectify on my laptop (https://www.connectify.me/store/) - I'm using the free version which has a 30 minute time limit, but the unlimited paid version is $11 - 17 depending on which set of features you go with (I keep meaning to just buy it, but I've been procrastinating) Anyway, I use that to make a wireless AP using my little USB adapter. Then, I connect my built in WiFi to the network wherever I am.
It works well, and only takes up a tiny bit of space.

Editing to add: The USB WiFi adapter I linked to above is getting a little flaky now. It will drop connections after about an hour and won't start working again unless I let it sit for a while or stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. So I assume it's overheating. Lots of other people seem happy with it, and it did work well for quite a while. It's cheap enough to replace so I'll probably try another of the same one. Just thought the issue was worth mentioning.

Last edited by smc333; Jun 4, 2018 at 9:21 am Reason: Adding a note about the device I mentioned in the post.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Looks like there's a couple of WL-330NULs on eBay for $35-$40. But I highly recommend one of the GLi routers. Yes, bigger than the Asus, but a lot more flexible. For one, you're not stuck with a password that's printed on the device.
The GLi routers without a doubt look super powerful, but man they're Yuge compared to the old 330NUL. Don't get me wrong, I've done a lot of OpenWRT, DD-WRT router tweaking before and I can appreciate features, but sometimes when you're traveling, that mini router is the most convenient thing ever.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see the HooToos are back in stock. Those seem to have disappeared for a while. I wasn't sure if they were still in production. Love mine.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:12 pm

Looks like there's a couple of WL-330NULs on eBay for $35-$40.
Don't pay that much; I paid $21 after shipping for mine.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:58 pm

BTW, the WL-330NULs will run for days from one of those travel battery packs- I personally use it in WiFi Repeater Mode along with a 9AHr battery to split WN's WiFi across two phones and my tablet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.