Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Flahusky
Custom firmware for the linksys WRT54xx is what happened.
Take a $40 router and make it work like a $300+ router.
I am not talking about the WRT54xx (the common home router), but the WTR54GS (the portable travel router). Amazing that dd-wrt runs in the WTR.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the TP-Link - apparently the 700 is one with a folding plug and AC adapter built in, and the 720 has a separate AC adapter and can be powered off MicroUSB. I couldn't pick, so I have both

It does router, AP, client and repeater - making it pretty much the perfect little travel device. At $25, it is a steal.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Why buy a device?
If you plug your laptop in to a wired network, you can bridge its built in wireless card and your laptop can broadcast internet and remain completely functional.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
http://www.zunidigital.com/?page_id=222

This router is very small and can be powered via AC outlet (110/220v) or via USB. It can be bought from Newegg.com for ~$25 frequently. It has got two USB ports as well to charge USB based devices.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Why buy a device?
If you plug your laptop in to a wired network, you can bridge its built in wireless card and your laptop can broadcast internet and remain completely functional.
For starters, many of us stopped carrying a laptop quite some time ago. Also, apps like Connectify are hardly reliable - taking hotel Wi-Fi and rebroadcasting to several other devices will rarely work for long.
MareLuce likes this.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Why buy a device?
  • Some people carry corporate laptops that are set so that you can't use it as an access point, or sometimes you are accessing sites that they don't want you on, for example if you work for a member of the broadcast association, they may frown on downloading music you don't pay for
  • Many people don't carry laptops anymore, or don't want to fire it up, set it and all that just to get their ipad online
  • XP still has a huge market share, and connection sharing under XP is not any fun at all
  • Sometimes the wireless signal where you need it (usually in the center of the room, on the bed or desk) is useless, but strong either at the door or the window. It's no fun to have to use your laptop in the bathroom to get work done, so you can plug the router in there and retransmit the wireless signal into the room
  • Sometimes you want to share a wireless signal, and while some laptops can do it, it's way easier with a proper router

Last edited by cordelli; May 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old May 28, 2012, 5:21 pm

From the instructions for the TP-LINK (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...=TL-WR700N#app), it appears you must connect it to a computer by ethernet cable in order to configure it in AP or Bridge mode. If you're only traveling with an ipad or phone, that doesn't seem very useful.

Can it be configured with just an ipad, etc.? If not, are there similarly sized and priced units that can be configured without a wired connection?
Old May 28, 2012, 5:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The Asus WL-330N3G lets you do most everything wireless to the device, though it costs a bit more. Others have a switch on the side to set the mode.

Smallest is all relative here, as the actual size of the asus is considerably smaller than this device, but I'm sure the marketing types have some explanation how they believe this device at 81 x 71 x 28 mm (per their website) is smaller than the Asus at 90 x 38.9 x 12.8 mm (per the Asus website). I'm sure they will attribute it to the power supply or something.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
The Asus WL-330N3G lets you do most everything wireless to the device, though it costs a bit more. Others have a switch on the side to set the mode.

Smallest is all relative here, as the actual size of the asus is considerably smaller than this device, but I'm sure the marketing types have some explanation how they believe this device at 81 x 71 x 28 mm (per their website) is smaller than the Asus at 90 x 38.9 x 12.8 mm (per the Asus website). I'm sure they will attribute it to the power supply or something.
While size is important, I also like single unit devices. Seperate power supplies, USB cables (non-standard), etc. are a bigger problem. It is the old joke about spare parts.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Savage25
I picked up the TP-Link a few months ago in Singapore for S$35. Works great! ^
I bought one last week as a gift, same price.

On the side of the box there is a little sticker than mentions version v.1.1, is this about firmware or are there any hardware changes as well?
Old May 29, 2012, 9:55 pm

Picked up a WR700N based on the info in this thread and so far I'm impressed. I like the form factor, and the initial setup was easy and straightforward.

I have the Asus 330N3G and I have always found the GUI finicky and I was constantly resetting the unit when it would hang changing between modes.

Will christen the WR700N in several hotel rooms next week.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Picked up a WR700N based on the info in this thread and so far I'm impressed. I like the form factor, and the initial setup was easy and straightforward.

I have the Asus 330N3G and I have always found the GUI finicky and I was constantly resetting the unit when it would hang changing between modes.

Will christen the WR700N in several hotel rooms next week.
Can you set it up in hotel, internet cafe, etc. with just an ipad or the like, or do you need a laptop, as the instructions indicate? I only care about AP (ethernet->wr700n->wifi device) and bridge (hotel wifi->wr700n->wifi device) modes.

Having to travel with a notebook for setup would defeat much of the purpose of the wr700n, at least for me.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:23 am

I'm using TRENDnet-654TR pocket router in hotel rooms. It has an excellent range. I usually travel with an iPad and its the best option. I use it with Ethernet. It works great and its so easy to setup.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:13 pm

There's a similar model TL-WR703N (China version of TL-WR702N) with has Chinese firmware and supports 3g modems. If you don't read Chinese, there's two options
1. Use the English manual found on scribed http://www.scribd.com/doc/73188140/WR703N-Setup
2. Install ddwrt or openwrt firmware which supports this specific unit. I think you would need to spend some time with it and a notebook/pc initially to configure http://ozamora.com/2011/03/netflix-o...#disqus_thread but afterwards, connecting to the admin interface via wifi is possible. At least, I've done this with another dd-wrt'd router.

There's an ebay seller who sells TL-WR703N with ddwrt pre-installed and it is just a few dollars more than one without flashed firmware.

I think I'll pick one up. Sometimes I come across mobile dongle data packages with better data caps/prices than the 3g sim version and the added 3g router functionality would come in handy.

Update: There's also the non-China version here TL-MR3020 which currently has openwrt support . Manual: http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/doc...User_Guide.pdf

Last edited by freecia; May 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reason: 3rd option
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:14 pm

Zuni ZRTP 150

Just received my Zuni in the mail today, and it works as advertised.
Looking forward to many days of surfing with my and my
wifes laptops when we travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.