Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How is Straight Talk for cell service provider?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm intrigued by the Galaxy Nexus offer. I've contemplated switching to Straight Talk or Virgin Mobile, but have never seen a really good phone that was affordable.

Here's my current situation:
I pay $115/mo to Verizon for unlimited data and voice + a small text plan. I have the original Motorola Droid bought in 11/2009. It is rooted, running Froyo, with the 550 MHz processor accelerated to 1200 MHz with SetCPU and a some good battery management programs. I'm basically happy.

I'd decided last year I'd hang onto my phone until VZW got to Lubbock with 4G/LTE, then buy an unlocked version of a good 4G phone. This would allow me to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan (yes, I checked with VZW). For some inexplicable reason, the quarter million people in the Lubbock area may have to wait until late in 2013 for VZW 4G.

The Galaxy Nexus offer is really appealing because I can get it to Straight Talk, they'll supply a SIM, and for $45/mo I can have unlimited data/talk/text. Saving $70 a month will pay off a $399 phone pretty quickly. And I'd have a great phone to play with until the next great thing comes along.

Of course, this is only worthwhile if Straight Talk is a decent provider. Their coverage maps look OK for my home town plus all 8 of the main client cities I normally visit, and they seem to use AT&T and T-Mobile towers. Any experience out there?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deubster
I'm intrigued by the Galaxy Nexus offer. I've contemplated switching to Straight Talk or Virgin Mobile, but have never seen a really good phone that was affordable.

I pay $115/mo to Verizon for unlimited data and voice + a small text plan. I have the original Motorola Droid bought in 11/2009. It is rooted, running Froyo, with the 550 MHz processor accelerated to 1200 MHz with SetCPU and a some good battery management programs. I'm basically happy.

I'd decided last year I'd hang onto my phone until VZW got to Lubbock with 4G/LTE, then buy an unlocked version of a good 4G phone. This would allow me to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan (yes, I checked with VZW). For some inexplicable reason, the quarter million people in the Lubbock area may have to wait until late in 2013 for VZW 4G.

The Galaxy Nexus offer is really appealing because I can get it to Straight Talk, they'll supply a SIM, and for $45/mo I can have unlimited data/talk/text. Saving $70 a month will pay off a $399 phone pretty quickly. And I'd have a great phone to play with until the next great thing comes along.

Of course, this is only worthwhile if Straight Talk is a decent provider. Their coverage maps look OK for my home town plus all 8 of the main client cities I normally visit, and they seem to use AT&T and T-Mobile towers. Any experience out there?
I been using a Straight Talk SIM on a Gnex for 2 months, very happy, it uses AT&T HSPA+ and I've had full bars almost everywhere.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by R U?
I been using a Straight Talk SIM on a Gnex for 2 months, very happy, it uses AT&T HSPA+ and I've had full bars almost everywhere.

What is 'Gnex' ?

Are the Straight Talk SIM cards usable in any unlocked device?

I have a Novatel 4510L.

Any other Straight Talk users who can share their experiences
with us?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: *G
straight talk IS using either AT&T or TMobile exclusively. you pick the network. it will work with unlocked phones. it will work with galaxy nexus.

only problem is it does not ROAM , so if you are outside the city, it will not switch to at&t or tmobile or vice-versa, if 1 is your primary carrier.

you will get voice, but not the high speed data service out there

if it is on EDGE, it is unbearably slow

in the city, perfectly good.

you can get t-mobile's 30$ plan for unlimited txt, data (capped to 5gb at HSPA+, then unlimited EDGE), and 100min with additional min at 10c/min
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:36 am

since Straight Talk uses AT&T, what will happen if I'm in an area with zero AT&T signal? (but has perfect T-Mobile signal)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissyH
since Straight Talk uses AT&T, what will happen if I'm in an area with zero AT&T signal? (but has perfect T-Mobile signal)
From my reading (and I'm going to assume I'm right until corrected), a phone with a Straight Talk SIM will connect with either a T-Mobile or AT&T tower.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Can you tether an Iphone with Straight Talk on AT+T ?

Soarer
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

Straight Talk took my phone number but is unable to make it work. They did have it working for half a day. Talking to their friendly reps from India is about as helpful as discussing my phone problems with the homeless guy on the street corner. Not only am I out to $70.00 for the starter kit but I am out my phone number and my phone has been dead for a week. Their 800 numbers give a reorder tone a large percentage of the time I try calling, and their web site currently has page load times of several minutes.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by MissyH
no signal.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DougAnderson
Straight Talk took my phone number but is unable to make it work.
Welcome to FlyerTalk DougAnderson. Without more detail, it is hard to say what the problem is. As you have found, ST customer service is minimal to frustrating. Which network sim card do you have? ST has been moving away from ATT the past few months and pushing T-Mobile sims almost exclusively; perhaps you are in a weak T-Mo coverage area. If you have another GSM phone, I would put the sim card in that phone and see if it replicates the problem.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by deubster
To save $70 per month ($840 per year!), to get rid of an almost 4 year old phone, and to move to unlimited everything, you wouldn't be willing to put up with some annoyances?

Without a doubt, Verizon has the best network out there. You will never be without data coverage. But is that worth $840 per year to you? You need to pay $840 per year to be absolutely sure you can download the latest copy of Angry Birds while driving from Lubbock to Waco?

I made the switch to Virgin a couple of months ago, and could not be happier. The network lost data coverage for one weekend, that's the only issue I have had. I have 2 smartphones with unlimited everything, for less than I was paying for 1 limited smartphone plan and 1 regular phone. The only reason more people don't make the switch is because they think the prepaids are for poor people.

Last edited by pittpanther; Apr 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I have ST with an AT&T compatible SIM ... apart from one incident where they called me and said my data usage was excessive, I've been very satisfied. Unfortunately they no longer sell AT&T SIM cards anymore, only T-Mobile, and I wouldn't rely on T-Mo based service for traveling.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:45 pm

I have been using ST with a tmobile sim for the last month in the Philadelphia area and so far it has been great. Better than Sprint for both voice and data.

On a recent drive to Albany NY, I did lose streaming on part of the NYS Thruway (between 50-20 miles south of Albany), however on the way back I turned on data roaming and I was getting edge (2g) and I was able to stream Sirius Radio in the previous dead spots. I was back on HSPA about 50 miles south of Albany. My voice coverage in Albany was adequate although I did go through a few dead spots. In the downtown areas I did have HSPA data.

Considering the $$ I am saving, I am very happy with ST. I think that you should be fine in most urban areas.

My phone is the Google Nexus 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.