Reload this Page >

Microsoft SkyDrive: get your 25GB if you have a Hotmail account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Microsoft SkyDrive: get your 25GB if you have a Hotmail account

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by aster
If you want to put some pics to share with everyone, should you still upload them to the Pictures folder or to the Public one?
Public folder is for sharing with everyone
Old May 19, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I noticed the default public one is a document folder, so I should probably create a new folder for pics (SkyDrive seems to distinguish between pic and doc folders) and make it public if I want to share it with everyone...

On a side note, can you have folders within folders?
Old May 20, 2012, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Sheepishly asks...: why is this better than just using your own domain and multi-gig hosting via ftp?
Old May 20, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
I noticed the default public one is a document folder, so I should probably create a new folder for pics (SkyDrive seems to distinguish between pic and doc folders) and make it public if I want to share it with everyone...
The folder name doesn't matter, there's no difference between pic and doc folders. But having another folder and then setting sharing directly on it gives you more control, e.g. you can choose to share only with contacts as opposed to the whole world

On a side note, can you have folders within folders?
Yes. Think of skydrive as a USB drive. exact same concept in terms of how you use it
Old May 20, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Sheepishly asks...: why is this better than just using your own domain and multi-gig hosting via ftp?
For a start, you need to set up and manage your own domain, and probably pay a small fee to keep it active.

But, more relevantly, the Skydrive client means you can "explore" the content same as you do your local folders, you don't need to have the extra nuances of moving things to/from FTP. Skydrive means you can open, create, save documents directly from the applications. for example you can open and save an Excel spreadsheet to/from Skydrive directly. FTP is clunky in this regard, it wasn't designed for accessing files from apps, which is how most people do these days
Old May 20, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by bullroot
For a start, you need to set up and manage your own domain, and probably pay a small fee to keep it active.

But, more relevantly, the Skydrive client means you can "explore" the content same as you do your local folders, you don't need to have the extra nuances of moving things to/from FTP. Skydrive means you can open, create, save documents directly from the applications. for example you can open and save an Excel spreadsheet to/from Skydrive directly. FTP is clunky in this regard, it wasn't designed for accessing files from apps, which is how most people do these days
Thanks. Yea, I guess that makes sense. I have it ingrained in my mind that "remote" means ftp, and that's just how I treat it. I guess the whole new "cloud" thing makes it so that even an average idiot can use these services... it honestly kind of annoys me, to be honest, because I liked it when you needed to have a base know-how to do these sorts of things, but I guess I can't really sneer at progress.

Anyway, I upgraded to the 25 gigs. I already had a document in there, so now I only have 24,999,997 KBs left!
Old May 21, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Maybe better to count on MS doing secure backups than worrying about someone breaking into your own server and wiping stuff clean for instance (incl. backups)?
Old May 21, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Many web hosting companies actually state in the TOS that they do not allow for file storage (simply for the sake of storage).

Originally Posted by DreamHost.com
it’s a reference to our policy of allowing 50GB of space for backups use free, with extra at only 10 cents a GB / month. (The rest of your disk space may only be used by files needed for your websites directly.)

Here are some specific examples of things not allowed:

Copyrighted content to which you do not hold usage or distribution rights.
File upload / sharing / archive / backup / mirroring / distribution sites.
A site created primarily to drive traffic to another site.
Making your account resources available (whether for free or pay) to the general public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.