Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Learn Excel 2010 (Self Study)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way To Learn Excel 2010 (Self Study)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by Yaatri
FORTRAN is old, but not obsolete. Some legacy programmes and routines are still used in conjunction with modules and GUIs developped in C, C++, visual C, Visual Pascal etc.

TeX is is the standard used by scholarly journals published by scientific societies such as AMS, APS (American Mathematical Society. American Physical Society). IN Comparison with TeX Microsoft Word looks pathetically amateur.
Yes I know. I am agreeing with you. I do have those things I listed right behind me. I also have a friend who is a COBOL programmer.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to learn Excel without having to attend a classroom course? (Looking for something like online, DVD, etc.)

Oh, and please don't say the Microsoft "Getting Started" link in the Excel Help section.
i never study before
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:01 pm

Arrow Basic programe

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Probably intermediate.

Consumer, but certainly would like to create some basic stuff, e.g. expense ledgers, etc. Honestly, I don't even know what the terms you used mean.
Basic
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
to anyone that has used http://www.lynda.com

can you download the lessons so you can watch them offline ?

most of my free time is when I do not have internet access

thanks Soarer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by soarer
to anyone that has used http://www.lynda.com

can you download the lessons so you can watch them offline ?

most of my free time is when I do not have internet access

thanks Soarer
It seems based off reading that its completely online and you have to pay extra just to get the examples so you can follow along. I'd prefer an offline version as well. Only problem for me is i get bored too easily at engaging my brain when on my MRs and switch back from learning to watching movies
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe we used Jing to download them, and some of the other FLV download software out there. However there are also messages out there saying that they track your usage and will disable your account if they believe you are downloading or going through them too fast or whatever, so be careful.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

about 10 years ago, i took a set of 4 or 5 courses from compusa. i cannot find the books and do not find them listed. i found them extremely valuable for years. (i'm retired now). "flying by seat of pants" will not generate pivot tables, charts or graphs. spread sheets are easy. just fill in the box. once you get beyond that, does not hurt to take a course. even self help course is good.

i think excel 2010 is terrible. i would get a copy of 2003 or 07 or such. the program has been trashed with complicated useless opportunities to get lost.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
While in college my friends and I spent some time researching the options. Here are my two cents:

I would recommend Excel Boot Camp (www.excelbootcamp.com ). The tutorial is inside Excel so you can learn by playing around in a spreadsheet.

Excel Everest (www.exceleverest.com) is similar. It's also based inside Excel, but I would say the topics are less practical (it focuses quite a bit on formatting, shapes, and other "colorful" features).

I've done them both (everest first, boot camp second). Would definitely recommend boot camp between the two. I also have investment banking friends who took a course by a company called Prep for Wall Street and they thought it was good.

There's plenty of free resources out there, but in my experience they're mostly long/boring videos or online text. Very inefficient way to learn IMO. I'd highly recommend one of these spreadsheet based tutorials.

Last edited by CaptainRhino; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:24 am
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Many of Lynda.com courses are awesome, and it really is too bad can't download to watch later. I would have kept my subscription if I could have done that to watch on the plane.

I'm a very casual Excel user, and agree Excel for Dummies to 1) get you started and 2) give you feel for what is possible. After that, just Google what want to do or having problem with, and within a couple clicks there is the answer.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:37 am

learn Excel

HiI found the online excel course at Learn Excel Online: | Live Support | Also Group Courses - excellent as it comes with live chat support as you study and is certified. UK students should try the UK version at Online Excel Course with Live Chat support and certification for the UK
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Flyertalk best practices avoid bumping threads without material input for a three to five year interval. With the most recent posting as an annotation, we'll retire the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.