Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK and Ireland SIM Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

UK and Ireland SIM Card

I'll be travelling to the UK, including up and around Scotland, and Ireland in May for 17 days and was wondering who would be the best provider to get a SIM card through for data only while I'm over there.

The phone is an iPhone 4 on AT&T here in the states. Does anyone have any experience with using an iPhone 4 on AT&T abroad?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by hensleyrob
I'll be travelling to the UK, including up and around Scotland, and Ireland in May for 17 days and was wondering who would be the best provider to get a SIM card through for data only while I'm over there.

The phone is an iPhone 4 on AT&T here in the states. Does anyone have any experience with using an iPhone 4 on AT&T abroad?
You will have to unlock your iphone if you wish to use it overseas. This technically nullifies the applecare warranty but you can simply restore the phone using itunes when you get back. This is the one that I used:

http://greenpois0n.com/?p=173

Once your phone is unlocked you can purchase any SIM when you get there. I would find a carphone warehouse, they have all of the carriers in one spot. I have always used Orange when in the UK... and if I remember correctly I got a 5 pound SIM card that had unlimited data which means that I could use the internet all I wanted (navigation, etc.) and mainly texted to communicate with friends/family which was like 5 pence per text. You can also add more money to the card to make calls if you need to. I would just ask the sales person which would be best.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:10 pm

It really depends on whether you are arriving in Britain or Ireland first.
A prepaid Three Ireland SIM has a good deal on data and does not charge for roaming if you use the Three UK network.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by traveltuna
You will have to unlock your iphone if you wish to use it overseas. This technically nullifies the applecare warranty but you can simply restore the phone using itunes when you get back. This is the one that I used:

http://greenpois0n.com/?p=173

Once your phone is unlocked you can purchase any SIM when you get there. I would find a carphone warehouse, they have all of the carriers in one spot. I have always used Orange when in the UK... and if I remember correctly I got a 5 pound SIM card that had unlimited data which means that I could use the internet all I wanted (navigation, etc.) and mainly texted to communicate with friends/family which was like 5 pence per text. You can also add more money to the card to make calls if you need to. I would just ask the sales person which would be best.

Good Luck!
Depending on whether the original contract/agreement's term has been fulfilled you now can request an unlock from AT&T. If you have completed your term you can get a real unlock through iTunes and you'll be able to update the software without fear that it will invalidate a jailbreak and unlock. Also consider that some baseband versions are not able to be unlocked through a jailbreak. If you have completed your commitment and are eligible it's much better to get a real unlock through AT&T/Apple/iTunes.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:33 pm

AT&T may also be unlocking for serviceman. I heard today that they are doing his even when they are under contract.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gaelflyer
It really depends on whether you are arriving in Britain or Ireland first.
A prepaid Three Ireland SIM has a good deal on data and does not charge for roaming if you use the Three UK network.
...and if you arrive in the UK first, getting a SIM card from 3 will also allow you to roam in Ireland using your allowance. #10 top-up will get you 500Mb which should be enough for 2 weeks of maps and light messaging. A #20 top-up will get you 12Gb, which is more than you will ever need. You need to convert your top-up to and Add On in their my3 website in order to take advantage of the roaming, or they can probably do this for you in store.

Colm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Go here and have a look at the wiki. A lot of very good information and experiences: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...and-wales.html
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:48 am

The timing of your trip (in May) is a bit unlucky, as roaming charges within the European Union are going to be abolished in June!

For the UK part of your trip, you could consider getting a free sim card from giffgaff before buying a "goodybag". There are a number of choices from £5 (100 MB of data) to £18 (6 GB) or £20 for unlimited data. Full details are here.

For your Irish trip, a Vodafone SIM card will give you 100 MB of data for €2, followed by a charge of 1¢ per MB. That could be a great offer or a terrible one, depending on how much data you expect to use during your stay.

I would find a carphone warehouse, they have all of the carriers in one spot.
Good idea. Not being affiliated with any network means that they'll be able to give you impartial advice on what SIM card would be best for you.

I have always used Orange when in the UK... and if I remember correctly I got a 5 pound SIM card that had unlimited data (...)
Orange no longer exists, having been taken over by EE.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Agree to look at 3 since they tend to allow some roaming. Otherwise, just buy a SIM in each country, they aren't very expensive. I use Meteor when in Ireland, great deals there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.