Search

Information security in China/Russia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Information security in China/Russia

An interesting article in today's NY Times:

When Kenneth G. Lieberthal, a China expert at the Brookings Institution, travels to that country, he follows a routine that seems straight from a spy film.

He leaves his cellphone and laptop at home and instead brings “loaner” devices, which he erases before he leaves the United States and wipes clean the minute he returns. In China, he disables Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, never lets his phone out of his sight and, in meetings, not only turns off his phone but also removes the battery, for fear his microphone could be turned on remotely. He connects to the Internet only through an encrypted, password-protected channel, and copies and pastes his password from a USB thumb drive. He never types in a password directly, because, he said, “the Chinese are very good at installing key-logging software on your laptop."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/te...espionage.html
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Interesting, I'm a bit paranoid so this is right up my street.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: None anymore
... copies and pastes his password from a USB thumb drive. He never types in a password directly, because, he said, “the Chinese are very good at installing key-logging software on your laptop."
Seems he forgot that they can also monitor the clipboard so he is really not providing any security to him self with the above method.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... keystroke loggers are far more commonly used without a clipboard logger feature too.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
An interesting article in today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/te...espionage.html
That item is from a couple of weeks back (as I had read it much earlier this month), but that doesn't matter substantively. The important thing is thanks for sharing it today.

If the measures taken for trips to China/Russia make sense then they should also apply for trips taken to/from the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by GUWonder

If the measures taken for trips to China/Russia make sense then they should also apply for trips taken to/from the US.
Especially by the USA own citizens
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Flahusky
Especially by the USA own citizens
Equal "opportunities" for citizens, permanent residents, visitors and foreigners alike - and, not necessary limited to its own soil (with "operatives" stationed abroad at worldwide locations ...) plus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-activity.html
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
There was an article on BA highlife I think regarding this.
China and Russia have been known to steal company secrets and some steps that companies take are just shocking.
From different phone to separate computer or going old school and no laptop and cell phone...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
My employer provides loaner Blackberries/phones & computers for ANY international travel. Those devices get wiped clean and re-imaged up on return. Multi-factor-authentication VPN, with restrictions on network access (even over VPN) based on the inbound VPN access address. It is highly recommended that the BB/phone be off w/battery removed in meetings. Androids and iPhones are banned for corporate use because of the risk of malicious app installation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.