Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon iPhone 4S unlock ICELAND--do they have computers at kiosks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

In order to unlock my verizon phone for the first time, i need to get a locak simcard, switch it for the one i have now, and then plug the phone into a computer with itunes to unbrick it.

I won't have a computer with me. Does anyone know if the folks selling sims like Vodafone or Simmin have a computer in their sotres or kiosks to plug in and unbrick?

Thanks very much.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Borrow / buy any non-US micro SIM card from anywhere on eBay for a dollar or so, and do this before you leave. It's very likely that they won't be able to help you with this, no matter where you are - not an Iceland issue specifically. Not worth taking the risk, IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the 4S, you just need Wifi. You don't need iTunes unless there's no available wifi network.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:46 pm

It's still not entirely clear to me how it works. I was told different stories by different global service CS folks. Some said I needed to connect to iTunes, others said just put the sim card when you land.

Fortunately for me, when I touched down in Asia, inserted a local sim card and got a gsm signal after a minute or so. It's possible if you get it unlocked and have a third party international sim card to test it before you leave. But it's equally possible, the CDMA network on Vz will override any attempts to connect to a GSM network when stateside?

To thoroughly confuse you, here's a list of the threads that discuss the same question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=12589440
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having not done the process myself, I can't offer a firsthand experience. But the pretty consistent story I've heard is that you call Verizon, they tell Apple's servers that your phone is now unlocked, you put a non-US SIM in your phone. If you have wifi, the phone will communicate with Apple and unlock itself. If you don't, your phone will prompt you to connect to iTunes. The computer iTunes is running on needs an internet connection to talk to Apple and tell your phone to unlock itself.

More info: https://community.verizonwireless.co...art=0&tstart=0
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. So the 4s can detect wireless (which we will have in our hotel) on its own? What if its not an open wireless network, but requires a password?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sobre
Thank you. So the 4s can detect wireless (which we will have in our hotel) on its own? What if its not an open wireless network, but requires a password?
Then you will need to type in the password, just as you would for joining any encrypted wireless network. It's the same as the initial activation, which you can do via wifi or plugged into your computer running iTunes.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold
you can connect to iTunes OR connect to a live Wi-Fi to complete the 'unlocking'
and remember it has to be a micro sim, if you can't find one some cell shop might be able to cut a regular sim into a micro sim
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:55 pm

I bought a micro sim cutter off Amazon for $5. It works great.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:45 pm

Siminn, Vodaphone and Nova, all have Pc at their shops. They are however only open to their own sites. You could try to ask one of the asistants to help you.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Can someone confirm: does the wifi/itunes activation process have to be completed ONLY the FIRST time you put in a foreign sim and never again, or do you need access to wifi/itunes EVERY time you go to a new country and put in a new sim?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.