smart phone buying help

Old Feb 9, 12, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
Smile smart phone buying help

HI all
thinking of buying a smrat phone this will be my frist one. where to buy has anyone bought from wirefly and would buy again. or would it be better to go to the carrier. sprint in this case. i now have verizon. but sprint look's like they better plan's. on sprint i seen 450 min. pulse data for $69 + tax verizon was $39+$50 +tax for 5gb. so would like your input on where to buy.
thanks for your help
Rich
Old Feb 9, 12, 12:09 pm

If you're new to the carrier, I've always found the best prices on Amazon.com. Bought my last 3 phones from them (including my current Sprint Evo 4G).

Linky
Old Feb 9, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: None anymore
As with any any purchase help request YMMV from mine and others. With that said.
Where I get my phone/s depends on who has the model I want at the price point I'm willing to pay. I've went sans contract on my last 2 phones. I've went threw Amazon and Wirefly for them. Both experiences where painless and I'd recommend either to anyone in the market for a phone.
As for phone/data plans I shop those based on coverage then specs then price. While Sprint DID have one of the best plans out there cost wise, their coverage was a lacking in the areas I needed it(my house). Some of the MVNO`s have better deals then their parent companies, just don't expect customer service...

ETA: Sprint MVNO with a good price plan: TING

Last edited by Flahusky; Feb 9, 12 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 10, 12, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks flahusky
thats what i wanted to know
Old Feb 10, 12, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Ham Medallion
Another key factor in your decision is to see what 4G is offered in your region. Verizon currently offers 4G LTE service, while Sprint uses WiMax (they are planning to transition to LTE in the future).

If you want a smartphone, you want 4G. Trust me. I do believe that Sprint as a 4G surcharge too, which would narrow the price gap.
Old Feb 10, 12, 11:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flying_owl View Post
If you want a smartphone, you want 4G. Trust me. I do believe that Sprint as a 4G surcharge too, which would narrow the price gap.
The $10 surcharge applies to all Sprint smart phones whether or not they are 4G.
Old Feb 10, 12, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The $10 surcharge applies to all Sprint smart phones whether or not they are 4G.
Ouch.

You can also check to see if your employer gives a Verizon employee discount.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/emplo...tication.shtml

My family saves about 20% per month, making Verizon (by far) the cheapest provider.
Old Feb 10, 12, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by flying_owl View Post
Ouch.

You can also check to see if your employer gives a Verizon employee discount.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/emplo...tication.shtml

My family saves about 20% per month, making Verizon (by far) the cheapest provider.
Even with the $10 per phone surcharge, my Sprint plan is at least 25% cheaper than comparable plans at Verizon and we get unlimited data, unlimited text messages and unlimited mobile to any mobile minutes (yes, that includes Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile).

Through my employer, I qualify for a 20% discount on Verizon, 20% on AT&T and 26% discount on Sprint.
Old Feb 10, 12, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guy's
i know about the employer discount. i had it when i was working but it will go away when i upgrade to a smartphone. as i have been retired now for 4 year's so don't think i can still get it.
Old Feb 10, 12, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by hawaiian4 View Post
Thanks guy's
i know about the employer discount. i had it when i was working but it will go away when i upgrade to a smartphone. as i have been retired now for 4 year's so don't think i can still get it.
You don't have to be employed in order to get a discount. Discounts are available to members of organizations, such as AARP and AAA, and credit unions as well as students.
Old Feb 11, 12, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Even with the $10 per phone surcharge, my Sprint plan is at least 25% cheaper than comparable plans at Verizon and we get unlimited data, unlimited text messages and unlimited mobile to any mobile minutes (yes, that includes Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile).

Through my employer, I qualify for a 20% discount on Verizon, 20% on AT&T and 26% discount on Sprint.
That would be why

We only have a Verizon and an AT&T discount. Regardless, we were able to subscribe right before the Verizon data capping, so I'm satisfied.
Old Feb 17, 12, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bagelriot View Post
If you're new to the carrier, I've always found the best prices on Amazon.com. Bought my last 3 phones from them (including my current Sprint Evo 4G).

Linky
So, I am thinking about switching carriers, along with mrs pbiflyer.
Can I get a new phone from Amazon and transfer my number?
Does this mean that I can get the plan rates without stuck for 2 years?
Old Feb 17, 12, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
Can I get a new phone from Amazon and transfer my number?
Yes.

Does this mean that I can get the plan rates without stuck for 2 years?
No.
Old Feb 27, 12, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

up date on smart-phone

HI
all well i went for a smart phone. i stayed with verizon as i still get the discount 20% off even that i retired 3 years ago.
my phone will be here on 2/29 so at the airport can it be in my carry on or does it have to go in the bin like a laptop. went to the tsa web site did'nt see any thing on smart phones. i got the HTC thunder bolt.
thank's everyone for the help.
Old Feb 27, 12, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flahusky View Post
As with any any purchase help request YMMV from mine and others. With that said.
Where I get my phone/s depends on who has the model I want at the price point I'm willing to pay. I've went sans contract on my last 2 phones. I've went threw Amazon and Wirefly for them. Both experiences where painless and I'd recommend either to anyone in the market for a phone.
As for phone/data plans I shop those based on coverage then specs then price. While Sprint DID have one of the best plans out there cost wise, their coverage was a lacking in the areas I needed it(my house). Some of the MVNO`s have better deals then their parent companies, just don't expect customer service...

ETA: Sprint MVNO with a good price plan: TING
Did you not have to pay near full (no contract) price?

Search this Thread