Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

For Canadians: Interesting US Roaming SIM

Old Jan 21, 12, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

I pass this product without recourse (e.g. I haven't actually used them), but they look interesting:

http://www.roammobility.com/

Here is a review from the Toronto Star:

http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1...ing-to-the-usa
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:36 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder what the percentage of Canadian wireless users are unlocked? I would imagine its very low, Canada being the home of the three-year contract and all.
Old Jan 22, 12, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE
First comment from the monneyville.ca site

"Not a bad option, but know all the facts...

There are cheaper solutions, but it takes a little work and hassle. For many, Roam will be the best compromise between “reasonable” price & easy roaming. That said, anyone wanting to use their smartphone needs to know they will be roaming on T-Mobile’s 2G network. Instead of the 7 – 8Mbps (or more) you’re used to, you’ll be lucky to get 0.15-0.18 in the US. Painfully slow. Their website doesn't really make this clear, it continually notes "up to 42MBps. That's only if you have an AWS phone from one of the new carriers like Wind or Mobilicity. A bit misleading if you ask me given the overwhelming majority of Canadians will have a phone from Rogers/Bell/TELUS."

If true this is DOA.....
Old Jan 22, 12, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I found the iPad quote disturbing. In recommending offers to this forum, one thing I constantly consider is price v. convenience. For example, I live close to the Canadian border. I used to get Canadian prepaid SIMs, but opted to give ATT $20 more a month on my family plan and be done with it. I could certainly come out cheaper the other way, but there were numerous factors which made me decide against it including:

*Keeping the SIM alive became increasingly a hassle as the shelf life of many of the prepaids became shorter and shorter;

*My wife also grumbled when I told her that she had to buy a recharge slip when she crossed;

*The regionalization of the market with most carriers made it a pain. You could either activate a new SIM, temporarily add a nationwide myFav type plan and route every call through my Asterisks box spoofing caller-ids, etc. or pay almost as much as US roaming;

*Things like caller-id and voicemail were extras on many Canadian plans;

*When we were both in Canada, there was a tug of war over who had the phone.

*When I was with FIDO back right after 9/11, I literally went to a park in the US where I could catch the Canadian signal to apply a recharge because I didn't want to deal with the many hour delay crossing the border.

I just decided that $240 a year less probably $100 paid to the Canadian prepaid company wasn't worth the hassle, particularly the marital hassle. Then again, if the shoe were on the other foot and I was a Canadian, TMobile's gold prepaid plan would be hard to beat, particularly if you could add the Walk-n-Web option as needed.
Old Jan 24, 12, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
I found the iPad quote disturbing. In recommending offers to this foru Then again, if the shoe were on the other foot and I was a Canadian, TMobile's gold prepaid plan would be hard to beat, particularly if you could add the Walk-n-Web option as needed.
Tmobile is good enough for most Canadians who cross on a regular basis.
Old Jan 24, 12, 6:43 pm

I use my backup phone using a T-Mobile sim and their $2 daily plan with unlimited talk, text, and 2g data. To call and message back to Canada for "free" I use Google Voice and Google Talk.

Their $3 daily plan is the same as above but allows for 200MB (which I think is fine for 1 day) at 4G speeds. [I need to unlock my current phone before making use of this.]

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...ll-phone-plans

Correct me if I'm wrong but the equivalent Roam Mobility Plan is pricier $3.50/day but includes free calling to Canada.
Old Jan 24, 12, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by fly-yul View Post
<snip>Their website doesn't really make this clear, it continually notes "up to 42MBps. That's only if you have an AWS phone from one of the new carriers like Wind or Mobilicity. A bit misleading if you ask me given the overwhelming majority of Canadians will have a phone from Rogers/Bell/TELUS."

If true this is DOA.....
Open to being corrected but I think the "up to 42 Mbps" is not indicative of the AWS band phones but rather dual cell (aka HSPA+) technology. Roam Mobility's network (aka T-Mobile's network) supports it but you still need a specific phone that can use it. I pretty sure Rogers, Bell and TELUS have dual cell capable networks but not all their phones support dual cell. Eg. My Samsung Galaxy S II x from TELUS is a similar/same variant offered by T-Mobile that supports dual cell at 42 Mbps whereas the regular Samsung Galaxy S II that Bell offers only supports 21 Mbps.
Old Jan 24, 12, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jay71 View Post
I use my backup phone using a T-Mobile sim and their $2 daily plan with unlimited talk, text, and 2g data. To call and message back to Canada for "free" I use Google Voice and Google Talk.

Their $3 daily plan is the same as above but allows for 200MB (which I think is fine for 1 day) at 4G speeds. [I need to unlock my current phone before making use of this.]

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...ll-phone-plans

Correct me if I'm wrong but the equivalent Roam Mobility Plan is pricier $3.50/day but includes free calling to Canada.
When did you set up your Google Voice? Did you activate it in the states?
I got my microsim from tmobile, but haven had a chance yet to set up GV.
Old Jan 24, 12, 10:59 pm

I set up my Google Voice last year. Activated in Canada. You need a US telephone number in order to activate which I obtained when I purchased my pre-paid sim from T-Mobile.
Old Jan 25, 12, 8:30 am

I set up my Google Voice last year. Activated in Canada. You need a US telephone number in order to activate which I obtained when I purchased my pre-paid sim from T-Mobile.
thanks..
will it forward to your cdn number?
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Is there a way to easily turn on and off TMobile's unlimited plan. We keep a TMobile SIM for foreign guests and it would be nice to turn unlimited talk&text for two or three days at a time. Are there SMS codes for this? Can you revert back to the straight PAYG and keep your one year expiration that you get on Gold?
Old Jan 25, 12, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by simba8 View Post
thanks..
will it forward to your cdn number?
Hmm, I've never tried that.
Just went in to check settings and I can't seem to add a Canadian number so I'm guessing not.
Old Jan 25, 12, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
Is there a way to easily turn on and off TMobile's unlimited plan. We keep a TMobile SIM for foreign guests and it would be nice to turn unlimited talk&text for two or three days at a time. Are there SMS codes for this? Can you revert back to the straight PAYG and keep your one year expiration that you get on Gold?
Just guessing here but have you tried managing your account on the T-Mobile site?
Just before I travel to the States, I go to the T-Mobile site and change my plan to the $2 unlimited plan and when I get back to Canada, I change it back to no plan so my account doesn't accidentally get charged by receiving any spam (even though I normally keep the phone turned off while in Canada).
Old Jan 25, 12, 5:16 pm

Just guessing here but have you tried managing your account on the T-Mobile site?
Just before I travel to the States, I go to the T-Mobile site and change my plan to the $2 unlimited plan and when I get back to Canada, I change it back to no plan so my account doesn't accidentally get charged by receiving any spam (even though I normally keep the phone turned off while in Canada).
Yes. This is the best method to use.
Old Jan 31, 12, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Interesting. I found that the Att sim card I purchased a few years back was difficult to keep alive during my sojourns outside of the USA. In fact, after three months away this time I cannot even use it until I go into an ATT shop which is very inconvenient.

I just purchased the hotspot with sim card from ROAM and I hope it's going to be a good alternative. I'll let you know if I find it painfully slow.

Lorna

Search this Thread